SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-07-2010, 22:42   #1
Henry Krinkle
Skeptic

Double Tap vs Speer?

I've had my G17 loaded with Double Tap for several years now, but a while back I read a thread here in which somebody said something to the effect of:

"Why not buy from Speer? They make Gold Dots in the first place, why go somewhere else to buy them?"

So what do you guys think. Stick with Double Tap or start buying from the source?
Old 01-07-2010, 23:29   #2
jesse2205

I carry Speer. They are a great SD round. Are double taps easily available in your area? I would carry whichever one was easier to get.
jesse2205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:34   #3
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2205 View Post
I carry Speer. They are a great SD round. Are double taps easily available in your area? I would carry whichever one was easier to get.
I have never had any issues getting DoubleTap Ammo. If fact, I don't even have to leave my house to get any. The DT Ammo is much hotter than the Speer loadings.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 16:39   #4
ajstrider
Silent Warrior

I've read reports here on GT that some people order Double Tap and end up getting some other type of bullet than the Gold Dot. Now in defense of Double Tap, they don't come out and say they are using Gold Dots, just a bonded defense bullet. At least if you order Speer ammo, you are assured of getting Gold Dots.
ajstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 17:13   #5
double07gt

I just ordered from DT the other day. They were great on the phone and my order was received in 4-days. Here is what just arrived for my G20 10mm. Seems like nice stuff, can't wait to try it out next weekend.

(50) 155 gr. Bonded Defense JHP / 1475 fps
(50) 180 gr. Bonded Defense JHP / 1305 fps
(50) 200 gr. Controlled Expansion / 1250 fps
(100) 180 gr. Full Metal Jacket Match / 1250 fps (I bought this for range ammo)
double07gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 17:35   #6
MTS532

Send a message via AIM to MTS532
I think this link might help.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De...r165grGDHP.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MTS532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 19:29   #7
hurley842002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstrider View Post
I've read reports here on GT that some people order Double Tap and end up getting some other type of bullet than the Gold Dot. Now in defense of Double Tap, they don't come out and say they are using Gold Dots, just a bonded defense bullet. At least if you order Speer ammo, you are assured of getting Gold Dots.
For what its worth, i've never had a problem getting anything but Gold Dot bullets, when ordering ammo using the "Bonded Defense" label. I've ordered it in both .45acp and 357sig. I've also somewhat simmered down on the "extra velocity kick", and have no problem carrying with Speer GD in 357sig (tho i'm using HST's right now).
hurley842002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 19:42   #8
TheChosenOne

They should both be good.
TheChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 19:51   #9
hogfish
Señor Member

I think that if yu ever have to shoot someone in the back while they're running away from you very fast, DT is the way to go .
I think (pretty sure) DT makes some FMJ ammo that, with the extra speed, should be great for situations where you might need penetration - trail gun?

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote