SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2010, 14:53   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Storing .22lr bulk packs?

I have between a two and three dozen of the bulk .22lr packs. Some are Remington Subsoniics and most of the rest are Federal.

Anyways, I've pretty much run out of storage space and they'll have to start going down the basement or in a closet somewhere. Only problem is, unlike typical 50rd. centerfire pistol boxes, these boxes are basically cubes. I can't fit very many into ammo cans and it usually ends up wasting space.

Other than stacking them, how do yall store these bulk packs?

Pics would be great!

Thanks!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 15:39   #2
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

I only do what I am about to say with my .22 ammo bulk packs. I usually just open them up and dump them all into the same ammo can. They are all mixed together then, but I currently have about 2,500-3,000 rounds in a single smaller ammo can.

I have not had any issues with doing this, but I still do store all of my centerfire ammo in the factory boxes inside of the larger .50 cal ammo cans.
Old 01-10-2010, 15:43   #3
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPredator View Post
I only do what I am about to say with my .22 ammo bulk packs. I usually just open them up and dump them all into the same ammo can. They are all mixed together then, but I currently have about 2,500-3,000 rounds in a single smaller ammo can.

I have not had any issues with doing this, but I still do store all of my centerfire ammo in the factory boxes inside of the larger .50 cal ammo cans.
I didn't even think of that. I was thinking more along the lines of a duffel bag or rubbermaid bin...but I really like the idea of just dumping it all in. Then when I want to go to the range I could either take that one ammo can or just grab a few handfulls and put them in a plastic shopping bag.

Only downside to the dumping method is if you ever want to sell or barter the ammo. Sealed boxes would be MUCH easier to move than loose rounds.

Also, does being exposed to the air/interior of the can harm the rounds in any way? Over time?? ... compared to keeping them in the sealed packs?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 01-10-2010, 16:07   #4
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I didn't even think of that. I was thinking more along the lines of a duffel bag or rubbermaid bin...but I really like the idea of just dumping it all in. Then when I want to go to the range I could either take that one ammo can or just grab a few handfulls and put them in a plastic shopping bag.

Only downside to the dumping method is if you ever want to sell or barter the ammo. Sealed boxes would be MUCH easier to move than loose rounds.

Also, does being exposed to the air/interior of the can harm the rounds in any way? Over time?? ... compared to keeping them in the sealed packs?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
You are very right about selling/trading sealed boxes easier. I only do it that way because I have no intention on getting rid of any of it.

I have never had an issue with storing them this way. Other than the occasional dud you get in a bulk pack, all of them have shot fine and I have never noticed any condensation or anything else foreign inside of the can.

I usually just do what you mentioned. Whenever I want to go shoot some .22, I just dump however many I want into a few old RX bottles with the child safety caps or into some ziplock baggies.

It has always worked very well for me. I am sure there are other methods that might work easier/better, but that is just the way I have always done it.
Old 01-10-2010, 17:35   #5
vafish

I use filing cabinets to store my ammo. So I just put the bulk packs in the filing cabinet in the basement.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 17:47   #6
hogfish
Señor Member

emt,

I can't check right now to be 100% sure, but I think you can fit a few bricks pretty nicely in a .30 caliber can.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 17:49   #7
mitchshrader
Deceased

I've got bulk .22LR in small sturdy coolers, the size that'll hold 2-3 six packs. They're less noticed than ammo cans and considering I yard sale 'em, probably cheaper too. I do top off the bulk boxes first, with ammo from the same purchase. Usually I can get a 6th one split between 5, and the coolers hold 10-15 boxes.
Old 01-10-2010, 18:17   #8
emt1581
Curious Member

I dunno, I think the loose rounds in the ammo can makes the most sense for me at this point. Just don't like having to open the boxes up.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!!

-Emt1581
Old 01-10-2010, 18:40   #9
FlyBoy007
<><

EMT,
I have some old .22's from the early 80's that I checked on last month, well I kinda forgot about them really. I did notice that the lead (old cheap Thunderbolt) has a bit of oxidization on them after all the years however I shot about 400 or so of the 3k I have from that decade and they all fired fine and were as accurate I they ever were. They were just plunked down in 50cal ammo boxes in the original bricks and the cans were closed, the labels were just marker and had faded over time.

BTW the price on the bricks was $9.99 and considering that was 1982 money today's price seems a bargain.
Old 01-10-2010, 19:11   #10
unit1069

I don't have a hoard of .22lr ammo yet because I only bought a .22lr pistol a few months ago.

But I have been asking the ladies where I work to save the big plastic Folgers coffee containers when they're empty. I have a couple thousand 9mm and .357sig casings I've saved for the day I learn to reload.

When I get that hoard of .22lr ammo this Spring I'm going to use the plastic Folgers containers to store the ammo. The top seals right up and when you need to pick one up the indentations make it easy to get a good grip.

What I'm talking about.

Last edited by unit1069; 01-10-2010 at 20:10..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 20:44   #11
FlyBoy007
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I don't have a hoard of .22lr ammo yet because I only bought a .22lr pistol a few months ago.

But I have been asking the ladies where I work to save the big plastic Folgers coffee containers when they're empty. I have a couple thousand 9mm and .357sig casings I've saved for the day I learn to reload.

When I get that hoard of .22lr ammo this Spring I'm going to use the plastic Folgers containers to store the ammo. The top seals right up and when you need to pick one up the indentations make it easy to get a good grip.

What I'm talking about.
Those are great for storing brass on the reloading bench, get as many as you can.

Good call
Old 01-10-2010, 21:06   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
I dunno, I think the loose rounds in the ammo can makes the most sense for me at this point. Just don't like having to open the boxes up.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!!

-Emt1581
I would add a little twist.
Put the cartons in, and then fill around them with loose bullets.
This way you can something to trade and you are not taking up extra space.

BTW, I prefer the old bricks of ammo. It was so easy to hand out 50 rounds.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:38   #13
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post

What I'm talking about.
Those works great for empty cases when reloading. My wife is the coffee drinker.

-Emt1581
Old 01-10-2010, 21:47   #14
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I would add a little twist.
Put the cartons in, and then fill around them with loose bullets.
This way you can something to trade and you are not taking up extra space.

BTW, I prefer the old bricks of ammo. It was so easy to hand out 50 rounds.
All of my Rem. Subs. are like that. And now they even shrink wrap them!!

That's an idea with the empty space...I like it!

I'm thinking I can store a few boxes and then, opening one box at a time, have close to no wasted space. One concern I have would be how fragile .22lr ammo is. That is, should the boxes shift, the bullets could get bent in the case or snapped off altogether.

Also, this would take a LOT of ammo cans to make work. I have large and small but still, I'd be able to fit 6-8 boxes tops in the large can and 2-3 boxes in a small can. I could spare maybe one of each but that's it. I'm basically out of ammo cans.

Thanks for the idea though. I'll probably do that with at least one of the cans.

-Emt1581
Old 01-11-2010, 11:17   #15
stengun

Howdy,

I just stack them on my wooden shelf where i keep all my ammo. Since they are in square boxes, they are easy to stack.

Paul
stengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:20   #16
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Most go thru my S&W 22a AMMO PROCESSOR
The rest I store in 2 lb plastic coffee cans-they stack nice
Great for dry noodles, Buckwheat pancake mix, and smaller brass also
Good place to stash a g27 also if no kids are around
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:56   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
One concern I have would be how fragile .22lr ammo is. That is, should the boxes shift, the bullets could get bent in the case or snapped off altogether.
If you were hauling it around in the back of a truck for the next year shooting a little to make more space, maybe, maybe that could be an issue. Otherwise it is not an issue.
Old 01-11-2010, 23:41   #18
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
Most go thru my S&W 22a AMMO PROCESSOR
That is great! I will have to keep that in mind for future range trips.