Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2010, 22:53   #1
MIKEV311

which buffer???? sorry so long

I want to first apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times but which carbine buffer is the best. I don't mean which brand is the best i'm looking for which one would suite me best. First off the rifle it is a DPMS sweet 16 with a magpul ctr stock on it when i ordered the stock kit it came with a normal carbine buffer but there were options for other ones as well. Me being new to ar's i just ordered the standard one but the more i read the more i wonder if i should have ordered a different one? The type of shooting i do is mostly plinking but i also do some shooting at steel knock down targets that's timed so there is some quick shooting when i need to get back on target quick.The only other question is are all buffers loud mine makes a rattling noise. Any opinions would be appreciated.
MIKEV311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 23:04   #2
Norcal911

Most AR buffers are loud (its actually the spring mostly), that's just an ARism you have to learn to live with. Learn the noise well, it will tell you when the gun is empty or its malfunctioned when you get to know the noise well enough.

Heavier buffers are better for the gun as it slows everything down and the continual slide hammer effect of the BCG is reduced. That being said, you don't want to go to such a heavy buffer that you induce malfunctions. I always try to use the heaviest buffer (usually H, occasionally H2) that my gun will cycle when its at its dirtiest and with the lightest ammo I can find. That gives me some wiggle room with the two facts that I don't usually let my gun get very dirty and I don't usually shoot light loads. This is all real easy if you handload and you have all of the buffers.

You don't need to get all crazy with buffer madness, it's pretty much splitting hairs if this is a carbine and its not a duty rifle. Find what works and use it-Norcal911

PS-Don't worry about a heavier buffer slowing the gun down so much that it effects your times at a match. We're talking hundredths of a second here, maybe tenths of a second if you added it up over a long coarse of fire. Even if you put an H3 or a 9MM buffer, its still functioning way faster that you are resetting the sear and aquiring a new target
Norcal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 23:19   #3
Mnukedude
Lurking

Have you taken this weapon shooting yet? Was it reliable, or did it malfunction? If it works fine, then I'd leave it alone. If it starts to malfunction, and begins to fail to feed rounds, and the buffer spring is not worn out, THEN I would consider a heavier buffer. Otherwise, why mess with the expense?
Old 01-11-2010, 00:07   #4
MIKEV311

Ive heard that heavier buffers help reduce felt recoil is this true? the recoil is not bad i just thought it might help with follow up shots.
Old 01-11-2010, 00:26   #5
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEV311 View Post
Ive heard that heavier buffers help reduce felt recoil is this true? the recoil is not bad i just thought it might help with follow up shots.
Yeah, I think they reduce felt recoil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:52   #6
jobob

For my carbines I'm now going to the Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer. These are VERY nicely made: http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...roducts_id=201
"If one Glock is good, several are better."
jobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:29   #7
Kentak

I would leave the buffer alone. I'm no buffer expert, but I believe what I've gleaned on the subject is that the H buffer in carbines was a solution to problems in cycling when on full auto, so probably something that won't benefit semi-auto only shooting. AFA felt recoil, I'd say the buffer won't make as much of a difference as using good grip and stance biomechanics.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:34   #8
Mnukedude
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentak View Post
I would leave the buffer alone. I'm no buffer expert, but I believe what I've gleaned on the subject is that the H buffer in carbines was a solution to problems in cycling when on full auto, so probably something that won't benefit semi-auto only shooting. AFA felt recoil, I'd say the buffer won't make as much of a difference as using good grip and stance biomechanics.
Well, I did have a problem with an AR once that tended to fail to lock back on the empty magazine. It did this even with brand new magazines, but only with 5.56 ammo. The rifle was semi auto, and replacing the buffer to an H buffer ended the problem.

Still, I say if you aren't having any problems, don't fix what isn't broken.
Old 01-11-2010, 15:03   #9
thisaway

The Enidine "Recoil ARrestor" is another alternative. I have one in my AR-10 and in my SP-1, and am intending to put them in my other three AR15s as funds permit.
Wheelhouse #452, 10 Ring#5744, Mil Surp & MBR# 3006, ad nauseam

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

"....the man with the rifle knows." USA AMU
thisaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:20   #10
furioso2112

I also just started using a Spike's ST-T2; it is weighted with Tungsten powder instead of hard metal, which is intended to smooth things out a bit and quiet them down...no opinion on its efficacy yet. I wanted to try a heavier buffer anyway, so looked at threads on the issue and that seems to be 'all the rage' right now, so I tried it. I have it with a Magpul ACS stock - like your CTR only with the storage compartments.

I looked into threads on the AR-restor as well, basically I went with the 'don't bother' mentality. Not my opinion based on use, just the decision I made based on others' posts. I tend to go for things that are re-designed components rather than new (some might say 'gimmicky' but I won't) items that have not been used in guns much. YMMV. Not saying my way is better, just describing my currently decision making process, subject to change of course.
Old 01-11-2010, 21:33   #11
Mnukedude
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
I also just started using a Spike's ST-T2; it is weighted with Tungsten powder instead of hard metal, which is intended to smooth things out a bit and quiet them down...no opinion on its efficacy yet. I wanted to try a heavier buffer anyway, so looked at threads on the issue and that seems to be 'all the rage' right now, so I tried it. I have it with a Magpul ACS stock - like your CTR only with the storage compartments.

I looked into threads on the AR-restor as well, basically I went with the 'don't bother' mentality. Not my opinion based on use, just the decision I made based on others' posts. I tend to go for things that are re-designed components rather than new (some might say 'gimmicky' but I won't) items that have not been used in guns much. YMMV. Not saying my way is better, just describing my currently decision making process, subject to change of course.
No personal experience here, but I've read that the enidine extends into the reciever slightly from the buffer tube, which creates a minor complication when disassembling the rifle.
Old 01-11-2010, 22:21   #12
MIKEV311

First off i want to thank everyone for the replies. i have shot the gun and it works fine with the buffer i have in it but i have trouble leaving well enough alone.Im gonna try the spikes buffer just for grins and see what happens,again i thank you all for the replies.
Old 01-11-2010, 22:24   #13
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEV311 View Post
First off i want to thank everyone for the replies. i have shot the gun and it works fine with the buffer i have in it but i have trouble leaving well enough alone.Im gonna try the spikes buffer just for grins and see what happens,again i thank you all for the replies.
That is what I would do too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 22:43   #14
frogger42
Don't Panic!!

Get or borrow one of each buffer weight. Then, buy several hundred rounds of the cheapest ammo you'd use. Get the rifle good and dirty by running a few hundred rounds through it. Then, find out what the heaviest buffer is that you can run reliably while dirty with cheap ammo. That is the one you want in that rifle. If you upgrade a M16 BCG, which is heavier you will probably want to step back one level on your buffer to compensate. I run an M16 BCG with an H buffer in my carbine and it works great.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by frogger42; 01-12-2010 at 03:34..
frogger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 15:39   #15
thisaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnukedude View Post
No personal experience here, but I've read that the enidine extends into the reciever slightly from the buffer tube, which creates a minor complication when disassembling the rifle.
Neither of the ARrestors in my rifles do this. They fit into the tubes just like any other buffers I've used.

"By and large, the most successful riflemen were the over-mountain men of Tennessee." Richard B. LaCrosse, Jr., The Frontier Rifleman

Old 01-13-2010, 17:13   #16
jobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnukedude View Post
Wouldn't know where you read that. That's ridiculous. The back of the carrier should be contacting the buffer. The forward edge of the buffer is flat, no matter what buffer you have, and would be in contact with the buffer retainer.

May main concern with the Enidine, and I have used several of them, is that it takes extra effort to manually lock open the bolt. Worse is that on some guns, not all, there is a problem with the bolt not locking back on the last shot. My latest carbine did this, so I changed over to the Spikes and haven't had that problem since. Worse still is that the Enidine is a complicated design, so there is more to go wrong. I haven't had problems with them, but I've heard of them falling apart.
"If one Glock is good, several are better."
jobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 20:38   #17
thisaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobob View Post
My latest carbine did this, so I changed over to the Spikes
jobob, would you be willing to sell your carbine ARrestor, since you don't want it anymore?

Old 01-14-2010, 16:04   #18
highprimer

I use the spikes ST-T2's , I can't say I can really tell a difference in felt recoil, but they are without a doubt less noisy and seem smoother.
That could just be my imagination though.

I've put several hundred rounds through a pair of guns with them and have experienced no issues.
highprimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 23:52   #19
Mnukedude
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobob View Post
Wouldn't know where you read that. That's ridiculous. The back of the carrier should be contacting the buffer. The forward edge of the buffer is flat, no matter what buffer you have, and would be in contact with the buffer retainer.

May main concern with the Enidine, and I have used several of them, is that it takes extra effort to manually lock open the bolt. Worse is that on some guns, not all, there is a problem with the bolt not locking back on the last shot. My latest carbine did this, so I changed over to the Spikes and haven't had that problem since. Worse still is that the Enidine is a complicated design, so there is more to go wrong. I haven't had problems with them, but I've heard of them falling apart.
Good to hear that it isn't true. I think I may be misremembering (is that even a word?) something I read in SWAT magazine a few years ago.

As for them falling apart, the relatively complicated design seems like it might make this more likely.