SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:31   #1
Enron Exec

Can i get advice on CCWs for my girlfriend

Hi ladies and gents,

I was just wondering if you all could share some ideas on what models of guns a petite women might be able to carry, and where. Shes 5'6" and maybe 115 lbs.

Here are my ideas and opinions:
Kel-Tec P32 in 32ACP. Small enough to carry on her little waist and probably just right for her tiny hands and fingers. Light on fire power so she is gonna have to make them 7+1 rnds really count.

Bersa Thunder Conceal Carry in 380ACP. Probably too large to comfortably conceal on the body with most clothing. I guess she will need a good holster for it to go with her purse? What do you guys/gals think? 380ACP in this size/weight gun should just be manageable for her size.

Beretta 21A Bobcat in 22lr. Uhmm yea, better then nothing. My thinking on 22lr as a SD cartridge is, use hard solid point ammo, so to at least get adequate penetration, and hope it stings enough they stop. Or shoot them in the head.

Kelt-Tec P-3AT or Ruger LCP in 380ACP. Might be a lil too much cartridge for such a small sized gun in the hands of a small women, you think? This might be the most effective option but will require alot more time behind the gun, which is good and bad (more fun, but more cost due to ammo).

Any help or advice would be appreciated. IS there anything else i should consider when looking at these types of guns? I sure wish Glock made a single stack 380ACP.... kekekek
Old 01-11-2010, 11:49   #2
Berettamen

I would try the LCP. I have one, .380 has a kick, but you do want an effective cartridge. And the proper stance can go a long way to reducing felt recoil. Good Luck
Berettamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 21:36   #3
sawgrass

This has been asked time and time again in the women's (plural) forum.
You might try doing a search.

A woman (singular) with smaller hands is likely to be able to grip a
smaller gun better than a man with larger hands. While 115 is thinner,
5'6" isn't exactly petite. It sounds like she is tall enough for several
carry options. It depends upon how she dresses.

Bottom line, take her to a range, rent or borrow as many guns as possible
and let her decide what feels right. If you make the decision, and she
doesn't like it, she probably won't carry it.

Last edited by sawgrass; 01-11-2010 at 23:28..
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 22:25   #4
Jdog

my petite woman has the bersa .380 CCW version stoked with dpx rounds

(but I really liked the lady smith .38 revolver w/the crimson trace grips but she thought it was "old fashioned" and liked the bersa better)
Jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 22:35   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

My wife is 71, small and (old) petite. She can not rack the slide on any small semi-autos.

This small old woman carries a Beretta Tomcat in .32 cal. (tip-up barrel), or her other, a J-frame .38 special revolver. One of her friends carries a J-frame .357, they can both shoot them well. (neither one likes the G27, I shoot).

Don't make decisions for her, she can try for herself and it may, or may not, surprise you..

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:14   #6
Emoore

There are as many guns for women as there are women who carry. We can't tell you what she'll like. Personally I (and my little hands) carry a Kahr PM40. Let her go to the range and try out everything they've got.
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:16   #7
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
How about a Smith & Wesson airweight 442-642 small easy to shoot and conceal
Regards
DW
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47   #8
sawgrass

FWIW, if you check the women's carry threads on here, and again, they
are plentiful. I don't think you will find too many of us who are women,
who carry a lightweight revolver. Despite, common male belief, most of us
are smart enough to handle the complexity of a semi-auto.

I'm 5'2", and my little hands carry either a Colt Defender .45ACP, a G26, or
a G19. If I was 5'6", I would do my darndest to find a way to carry a
full size 1911, as they are my favorite pistol to shoot.

Sawgrass
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:06   #9
Mrs. Tink
Semper Fidelis

I'm surprised that none of the militant anti-purse carriers have spoken up yet.

I carry a Walther PPS, a single-stack 9mm with three different mags--6 round, 7 round and 8 round. I don't usually carry with the 6 round because my pinky has nowhere to go; my hands are not small and I have long fingers. She could consider a slimmer model like the PPS or the Kahr PM9.

I have occasionally carried a Walther P99, which is an adventure but I handle it well, so it helps my confidence. Not very feasible outside of the depths of winter, where there are plenty of clothes to cover it up--or inside a properly constructed purse.

I agree with the others who say that she must choose.
Being a conservative and being a good leader is not enough for some people. They want to measure your principles by how harshly you criticize the people that disagree with you. There’s a technical term for that political strategy: stupid. ~State Sen. Shawn Mitchell, R-CO

Americans have put clowns in for government officials and wonder why this place runs like a circus. ~engineer151515
Mrs. Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 16:51   #10
mike28w

My advice ( as a husband).... Let her shoot as many guns as possible. Let her decide. You're only there for information.

You'll be amazed how many variables there are in choosing a gun . Size,fit, weight, recoil, hand strength , finger strength,...,.

An example, my wife disliked my Keltec 380 because it was hard to operate the slide and she didn't like the recoil. On many of the smaller 380s, she couldn't rack the slide. BUT.....she loves her Sig 238 ( in 380).... recoil "feels" better to her and she can easily rack the slide..... I had pretty much given up on the idea of a small semi for her....
mike28w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:07   #11
KDawg0007

I introduced my wife-to-be to shooting by taking her to the range and letting her pick whatever she wanted to shoot from behind the counter.

She decided on a G19 and carries it daily. She is only 5'4".
Old 01-17-2010, 11:08   #12
drpdw

Let HER try as many weapons as possible...

duplicate post!

Last edited by drpdw; 01-17-2010 at 11:23..
drpdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:14   #13
drpdw

Let HER try as many weapons as possible...

I am 5' 5 1/2" and am on the small side, have small hands as well, and, over the course of 2 months, tried out a plethora of handguns (i.e., sub-compact, compact, full-size, revolvers AND semi-autos) before finding the particular models and calibres that worked for me. I eventually decided on the Glock 26 (w/ Crimson Trace Laser grips) for my CCW and the Sig P239 for my #1 personal range gun. (I first started out with a Beretta Neos .22LR...gift from my brother, with which I learned basic range etiquette, site training and basic cleaning protocols. I still plink with it now and then.) Over the past year, after going to my local range, and shooting with an LEO and 2 other seasoned pros, I have been challenged and can report that I have met those weekly challenges, to shoot (quite accurately, BTW), what some (men) consider (pardon me, other women out there), big guns for a little girl. These include, but are not limited to the following wheel guns and semi-autos: .44 magnum, .45 ACPs, and .357 magnums. (I have also tried some .38 revolvers, but am not a fan.) So, do NOT assume that a (small) woman, or anyone who is smaller than average, cannot handle a particular handgun. As the others are saying in this forum, take your significant other to the local gun range, have HER select a few she'd like to try, and do NOT think for her. Show her basic handgun safety, grip, aim and fire techniques, be supportive and not patronizing, then, let her go! She is the one who will be learning how to shoot (and possibly, later carry) her own weapon(s).
-drpdw

Last edited by drpdw; 01-17-2010 at 11:21..
drpdw is offline   Reply With Quote