Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2010, 17:03   #1
Jerrylundergard

SD/Hunting ammo for 7.62x39

Im wondering what you folks think is the best 7.62x39 ammo for HD use against humans or for use as a deer hunting round.

Ive got FMJ wolf mc and wolf bb hp. My wolf bb hp are more accurate but supposedly the wolf mc fmj is the better sd round.

Anyone have any data on the silverbear soft points in 125gr? brown bear soft points in 125gr. Remington pointed soft points in 125gr? What would the pros/cons of a ballistic tip 125 gr be? Better expansion/ worse barrier penetration?

Yes, Ive looked at all those old charts with old balistics info, wondering if anyone has any newer sources of info on the newer available rounds. Thanks!
Jerrylundergard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:29   #2
Berto
woo woo

Federal offers a SP load in short ruskie, I believe it is the 'Powershok' line.
Corbon also offers 125 and 150gr loads with sp bullets.
Most of the hp and fmj loads aren't well suited for hunting.
Old 01-11-2010, 18:51   #3
Jerrylundergard

Ill have to check out the federal load.

Ive heard of feeding problems with the corbon load even though it seems to perform great.

The hornady balistic tip fragmented all over the place on a test from brassfetcher. It only penetrated 11inches too. Not impressive.

Wonder if anyones tried the PRVI SP?
Old 01-13-2010, 00:16   #4
Austinite

I've shot several deer with the Federal 7.62x39 SP. Penetration was more than adequate (pass throughs on all deer).
Austinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29   #5
Jerrylundergard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I've shot several deer with the Federal 7.62x39 SP. Penetration was more than adequate (pass throughs on all deer).
Did you ever recover the bullets? I wonder how well they expand and if the expansion is reliable.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:20   #6
vafish

My son shot 1 small doe with the Wolf 154 gr soft point load. Damage was impressive, no bullet recovered.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 23:47   #7
Austinite

I said previously said all pass-throughs with the Federal load, but I was mistaken. The one that didn't penetrated about 18" on a strong quartering-toward angle and was found just under the offside skin. Expansion was probably about .5 and about 1/2 of the bullet weight was lost (estimate).

I'd feel more than confidant with using the Federal load for defense, the V-Max load, not so much.
Austinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:07   #8
Defense Solutions

Dpx

CorBon offers a DPX (all copper Barnes) load. It is VERY, VERY, VERY expensive!!, but seems to work well. We'll probably see some others offering similar loads in the future.
Defense Solutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:54   #9
PlasticGuy

I like faster expansion for self defense than for hunting. I wouldn't want to use the same load for both, if I have a choice. The Hornady V-Max load is ideal for self defense. Penetration of 11" or so is perfect, and damage is extreme. The Federal soft points seem to be a good hunting option. I haven't shot anything larger than coyotes with it personally, but the reports from those who have are pretty good and pretty consistant.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:59   #10
LEAD

Look at the doubletap offering. I think as far as best, and not the price of DPX, they are the ones to look at. Otherwise most soft points from companies like brown bear work. Winchester super x and Federal powershok are a compromise between the expensive and the cheap.
LEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:43   #11
ssfeldjager

7.62x39 works very well on deer and people.

On hunting deer:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=121&t=469373

On hunting hogs:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=9&t=628818

For hunting or other use, softpoint type projectiles work much better than FMJ types. In most states, FMJ isn't legal for game such as deer, but is legal on hogs. If you check the ballistics charts that are available, you'll find that the 7.62x39 is very similar to the 30-30 round. And, we all know that the 30-30 has been considered as one of the most successful deer calibers to exist; at least in terms of numbers of deer harvested.

For those who will contend that the HP or OTM type projectiles aren't well suited as hunting rounds, do some research and you'll find that they will do the job if you are able to place your shot correctly.

If you want to use brass cases only, then use brass. If you want to use steel cases, then use steel. Whatever is on the receiving end won't know the difference.

ssfeldjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:35   #12
2afreedom

The Federal soft points are considered good inexpensive ammo for deer-sized game and should be easier to find than most of the others. I am not familiar with the Wolf soft points but they could be a good cheaper option as well.
2afreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:49   #13
Retseh

I can assure you that 7.62x39mm FMJ will work very well for SD, just be careful what's behind the target.

Sir Winston Churchill
Retseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 13:34   #14
.45Super-Man

It's sad that our big ammo co's havent put the R&D into the 7.62 short that they have into most other calibers. The Russian calibers, like the weapons will always have a ridiculous "commie" stigma attached to them.
.45Super-Man is offline   Reply With Quote