Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2010, 17:37   #1
Ruggles

Took the new Eotech to the range....

Took the 1 week old Eotech 517 to the range today. Mounted on a AR15 (M4 CMMG Lower/16" LMT flattop upper). The sight worked fine and does indeed speed up sight acquisition over the iron sights. My issue is the balance it gives to the rifle, I really do not care for the feel of the carbine with the Eotech attached. Feels "top heavy" to me.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I am going to post the Eotech for sale on the forums here as I can not see myself ever getting use to the feel of the AR with the Eotech on it. :( I really wanted to like the Eotech but no go here.

I would like to make clear I am not bashing the Eotech at all, great tool but just not for me. I guess I will go back to the iron sights.

On a bright spot I got my PS90 sighted in with the compact ACOG which I have been meaning to do for awhile What a great little set up that is.

I alos put a Kimber SIS Ultra in layaway. I wanted to get one before Kimber stops production. Seems like a great little 1911.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:54   #2
Kentak

I'm really surprised to hear this. I don't recall hearing this kind of complaint with an EOTech before as there are much heavier optics people mount topside. Why not give it a little more time to wear in on you, like a new pair of shoes? Make sure you use a full 30 rd mag to start shooting with. Ballast, ya' know.
Old 01-11-2010, 19:05   #3
Aikidoka
It Says Aikido

I just added a 517 to my AR as well but haven't had the chance to get it to the range. How did you sight yours in?? Im thinking about setting mine dead center @ 50 yards.
Old 01-11-2010, 19:17   #4
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikidoka View Post
I just added a 517 to my AR as well but haven't had the chance to get it to the range. How did you sight yours in?? Im thinking about setting mine dead center @ 50 yards.
50 yards just like you are talking about. I can see myself going any farther than that in a defensive situation.
Old 01-11-2010, 19:20   #5
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentak View Post
I'm really surprised to hear this. I don't recall hearing this kind of complaint with an EOTech before as there are much heavier optics people mount topside. Why not give it a little more time to wear in on you, like a new pair of shoes? Make sure you use a full 30 rd mag to start shooting with. Ballast, ya' know.
Yeah I assumed it was me. I just prefer the simple "streamlined" feel of the AR without the Eotech. I do like the compact ACOG (much smaller than the Eotech in someways) on the PS90, I might go that way someday.
Old 01-11-2010, 20:34   #6
Aikidoka
It Says Aikido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
50 yards just like you are talking about. I can see myself going any farther than that in a defensive situation.
My thoughts exactly. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 21:15   #7
NDC187

nothing like good ol' iron sights
Old 01-11-2010, 21:31   #8
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC187 View Post
nothing like good ol' iron sights
You know, that about sums up my feelings I guess. I see the benefits of the optics like Eotech and Aimpoints but for now I think I will stick with the iron sights. If the Eotech does not sell I might give it a try at a latter date.
Old 01-11-2010, 21:41   #9
pleaforwar

If the weight of the EOTech really bothers you I recommend you check out either the Aimpoint T-1 or the Trijicon RMR. Then again, open sights is always a reliable option.

pleaforwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 23:10   #10
Daekwan
Colts & Glocks!

Or the XPS.. smallest holo sight EOTech sells
Daekwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 00:00   #11
Steve in PA

Rifle top heavy with an Eotech? Never, ever have I heard that.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 00:08   #12
Ruggles

I guess "top heavy" is not the right term. More out of balance than any real weight issue. It just seems to throw off the handling of the carbine. I think I will try to get use to it before I make any long term judgments on it. I really like the operation of the sight.
Old 01-12-2010, 00:19   #13
pleaforwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
I guess "top heavy" is not the right term. More out of balance than any real weight issue. It just seems to throw off the handling of the carbine. I think I will try to get use to it before I make any long term judgments on it. I really like the operation of the sight.
So.... do you have any pics of your configuration?

pleaforwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 00:22   #14
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I don't love the extra weight added by most optics, but the upside of the optic is too great for me to not want it on my primary defensive rifle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 00:33   #15
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I have a week old 517 as well on my M4gery. Didn't feel top heavy or unbalanced at all. I think it is very bulky though and might switch out to the T-1 micro.

How much you want for your 517?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 15:22   #16
furioso2112

Yeah...never heard that either. I have a 5xx (the 2xAA model) on a QD mount that I use on my EBRs...and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 w tac knobs...neither makes the gun feel strange or out of balance to me. I support your decision to give it a while - carry it like that for a week; when you take it off, I bet you'll feel the rifle is off-balance without it. Always something new, never hurts to post.