Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:33   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Cleaning suppressor

Who has needed to send their suppressor in to be cleaned?
How many rounds?

For those of you with suppressors that don't come apart for cleaning, how do you clean your suppressor?

I have not sent my suppressors in for cleaning.
I have not cleaned mine, ever, at all.
I do not believe I have a need to at this time.
But, people are making a big deal out of cleaning so.....
Old 12-30-2009, 13:44   #2
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Ive never sent a can in to be cleaned.

However if your have a can composed of titanium or stainless steel, this will work. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD WITH ALUMINUM OR YOULL BE LEFT WITH A DAMAGED SUPPRESSOR!

The dip-
50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. When mixed in this state it is safe, however, when you submerge your sealed 22 can (Titanium or stainless only) into a container with the dip it mixes with the lead buildup on your baffles and creates lead acitate a very VERY dangerous acid if touched. It will introduce lead straight into your blood stream.

leave your can in the dip for 24hrs and it will eat everybit of gunk out of it. Ive done it twice and each time my can came out perfect. Youll have globs of carbon/lead at the bottom of the container. Seal and dispose of at your local hazmat facility.

*Use the black rubber chemical gloves, saftey glasses, and a HEPA mask.(Found at home depot)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sums up cleaning for 22cans, nothing else will work.

As far as centerfire rifle and pistol cans. I use a bore brush and carbon cutter/aluminum safe gun cleaners and run it back and forth inside and coat the blast chamber of my M42000 in it and clean with a brush to get rid of the carbon. Other than that there isnt much you can do.

What cans do you own?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Facebook Fanpage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors

Last edited by Fireman1291; 12-30-2009 at 13:48..
Fireman1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:07   #3
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1291 View Post
What cans do you own?
SWR in 22LR
SWR in 45ACP/Super
Gemtech in 308

The SWR in 22LR has had several thousand round through it. I would assume that it would need cleaning sometime in the future, but so far it is doing good.

I would assume that a sonic cleaner would work, but have not bought one.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:24   #4
nnickatnight

The cans should be able to be sent in for service if you have issues beyond the previous suggestions. There are .22 user serviceable cans out now and a new pistol, .380, 9mm, take apart can coming to the marketplace, if you purchase new ones in the future.
nnickatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:42   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnickatnight View Post
The cans should be able to be sent in for service if you have issues beyond the previous suggestions. There are .22 user serviceable cans out now and a new pistol, .380, 9mm, take apart can coming to the marketplace, if you purchase new ones in the future.
That is not the question at hand.
Please answer the questions.

How many rounds?
For those of you with suppressors that don't come apart for cleaning, how do you clean your suppressor?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:22   #6
nnickatnight

Thanks for reminding me, mr. personality. I'll keep any cleaning experiences, etc. to myself, I might not present them in the proper fashion.
nnickatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 13:12   #7
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnickatnight View Post
Thanks for reminding me, mr. personality. I'll keep any cleaning experiences, etc. to myself, I might not present them in the proper fashion.
This has nothing to do with my personality and everything to do with trying to keep this thread on track to get some very specific information. I even used "Please."

You lack of intellectual response and personal attack leads me to believe you don't know the answer to the questions, so I guess you can keep your experience, or lack there of to yourself. Good by.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:16   #8
trukreltrog

The only one's that need cleaned are the .22 cans. I don't clean my bigger caliber cans.

I Hav'nt had my .22 can cleaned yet either. I have a SWR Warlock.

When it's time, somewhere around 15,000 rounds I believe. I'll just send it to SWR and let them do it. Since I have a back-up take apart can, I won't miss it.

You just have to hope that the outer tube will not be damaged, breaking it apart. Or you will be buying another tax stamp.
trukreltrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:19   #9
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukreltrog View Post
The only one's that need cleaned are the .22 cans. I don't clean my bigger caliber cans.

I Hav'nt had my .22 can cleaned yet either. I have a SWR Warlock.

When it's time, somewhere around 15,000 rounds I believe. I'll just send it to SWR and let them do it. Since I have a back-up take apart can, I won't miss it.

You just have to hope that the outer tube will not be damaged, breaking it apart. Or you will be buying another tax stamp.
This. .22 suppressors are the only cans that need to be cleaned due to low pressure/high residue build up. Basically every time you shoot a high pressure bullet through your can it is essentially cleaning it by pushing 40K+ PSI through the baffles blowing everything out of there.

Buy from manufacturers that rate their suppressors FA and offer lifetime warranty. Screw the rest.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23   #10
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Though I do recommend soaking the can in WD40 if you are going to store them for an extended period of time and not putting them in a sealed container right after use (condensation builds when gun powder is burned). If anything to keep the rust/corrosion out of it.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:27   #11
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

I get carbon buildup in the blast chamber of my m42000 after only 400rds. So even high pressure rifle cans should be cleaned with a carbon cutter and a wire brush that you can fit in there.

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 01-05-2010, 09:38   #12
Liff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post

Not me.

How many rounds?

N/A

Don't clean them.
Good topic. I was under the impression that except for the L.I.D. the cans are not to be cleaned.

So aside from the cleaning of the L.I.D. and the occasional grease or water bath, I do not clean my cans.
Liff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47   #13
r2kba
Relax

Can's don't need to be cleaned. What can happen instead is the solvents you use actually start to bind the material inside together since most cans can't come apart. If you want to clean the threads and blast baffle portion thats fine however I quit "washing" can's a long time ago.

My .22 can has 5000+ Rounds through it at a conservative estimate and it works fine.

The only thing I clean is the quick detatch couplers and the attachments to the guns, such as thread areas, springs etc.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

"I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

r2kba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51   #14
grecco

Actually, the dirtier my cans, the better they sound!
Old 01-05-2010, 18:30   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecco View Post
Actually, the dirtier my cans, the better they sound!
What brand?
What caliber?
Old 01-05-2010, 20:30   #16
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
What brand?
What caliber?
Common myth. However, John tested with a meter and a dirty Trident9 was proven to be louder. Cans need to be cleaned, but so do weapons after you use them. Alot of people here get lazy. I on the other hand like to protect my investment. I wouldnt by a ferrari, only to wax it once a year. So ill clean my guns/cans after each shoot. Which is why they sound/function/look great every time I use them.

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 01-05-2010, 21:43   #17
Liff

I have also noticed that my cans when dirty are more quiet. Like this one time grease spilled into the can, the sound report was much more quiet. Then I cleaned the can and it was more loud.

Then I read Fireman1291's post about clean cans being more quiet and I do not believe him.

The above post was complete sarcasm.
Liff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:50   #18
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Dirty can = Full of carbon/lead buildup
Clean can = No carbon/lead buildup
Wet can = Can fired with ablative(Water/grease/wire gel)

Facebook Fanpage:

Old 01-06-2010, 20:06   #19
r2kba
Relax

Quote:
Common myth. However, John tested with a meter and a dirty Trident9 was proven to be louder. Cans need to be cleaned, but so do weapons after you use them. Alot of people here get lazy. I on the other hand like to protect my investment. I wouldnt by a ferrari, only to wax it once a year. So ill clean my guns/cans after each shoot. Which is why they sound/function/look great every time I use them.

I dont notice any differences.
BIGDAWG #444 / Wheel#444

"I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

r2kba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 15:58   #20
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
So ill clean my guns/cans after each shoot. Which is why they sound/function/look great every time I use them.
Depending on how much you shoot your gun in a session, you are probably over cleaning your guns.

Many many moons ago, when I was in college my riflery instructor told me that more competition guns have been cleaned to death than shot to death.

They cleaned the indoor rifles once a year and that was probably over kill.

They are still using the same rifles.

As far as the suppressors, I think they need to be cleaned, but how often is up to debate.