SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2010, 17:14   #1
TDS-US
GT Sponsor

Serious Question

TDS (Tactical Defense Solutions - site sponsor) recently had a fairly serious fire. The actual fire was contained to the office and showroom area which was a total loss. The warehouse area where ammo and such was kept received no damage at all.
Now that the smoke has cleared there is the ungodly smell of burned wood everywhere. The cleanup crews are convinced that customers will complain about boxes of ammo that may possibly have a "woodsey" smell.

Personally none of us can smell it on the boxes and personally cant see what it matters as all of them were in a detached warehouse and untouched by heat, flame or crud smoke.
The cleanup crews want to "ozone" the boxes/cases. Were hesitant as were unsure what if any affect the process will have.

All that said - I ask you, does the faint odor on a box of HST matter?
Does anyone know what affect ozone has on ammunition?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TDS-US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 18:07   #2
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I think you are fine. Offer full disclosure about the smoke smell and be prepared to give coupons or discounts to anyone who complains.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 18:18   #3
Catswold
God rules all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
I think you are fine. Offer full disclosure about the smoke smell and be prepared to give coupons or discounts to anyone who complains.

+1
Old 01-21-2010, 18:23   #4
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

I wouldn't care, just let people know so they don't have to ask. My ammo gets plenty smoky when I have bonfires here at home and my G19 is on my side.
Old 01-21-2010, 18:26   #5
voyager4520
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS-US View Post
Personally none of us can smell it on the boxes
You might be used to the smell now that you've been around it, so you wouldn't smell it unless it's decently strong.

I'd buy it as long as it shoots. I don't know anything about how ozone would affect the ammo.
Old 01-21-2010, 18:41   #6
arizona_andy
Caliber Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
I agree.. you'll be fine.

"Only tyrants need fear tyrant-killers."
arizona_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 19:31   #7
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS-US View Post
TDS (Tactical Defense Solutions - site sponsor) recently had a fairly serious fire. The actual fire was contained to the office and showroom area which was a total loss. The warehouse area where ammo and such was kept received no damage at all.
Now that the smoke has cleared there is the ungodly smell of burned wood everywhere. The cleanup crews are convinced that customers will complain about boxes of ammo that may possibly have a "woodsey" smell.

Personally none of us can smell it on the boxes and personally cant see what it matters as all of them were in a detached warehouse and untouched by heat, flame or crud smoke.
The cleanup crews want to "ozone" the boxes/cases. Were hesitant as were unsure what if any affect the process will have.

All that said - I ask you, does the faint odor on a box of HST matter?
Does anyone know what affect ozone has on ammunition?
Sorry to hear about the fire.

My thought is that if the smoke smell on the boxes become too much of a problem, maybe repackage the ammo in plain boxes and describe it as repackaged ammo and state the reason up front.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 20:05   #8
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Sorry to hear about the fire
Hickory,Applewood or Alder---------------sorry
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 20:14   #9
dougader

Ozone shouldn't have any effect on the quality of the ammo. Just don't sit there in the room breathing concentrated ozone.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 20:18   #10
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

I would not care one bit if the ammo smelled like wood smoke. I am actually fond of that order myself.

I would still buy it as long as it shoots like it is supposed to. Maybe if you would not take too much of a loss of the product, mark it down a little in price and put a disclaimer somewhere everybody can see before making a purchase as to the reason why.

I am also sorry to hear this happened in the first place. I hope you get everything back up and running quickly and safely!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:31   #11
JustShoot-IT
GrudgingGlocker

SSA "specially seasoned ammo"!

Agree, it's too bad about your fire. I'm sure what did get damaged is causing you folks a lot of headaches w/o the added "what about ...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
My thought is that if the smoke smell on the boxes become too much of a problem, maybe repackage the ammo in plain boxes and describe it as repackaged ammo and state the reason up front.
IMHO a discount with a disclosure statement would save a lot of hassle. But, I also like the smell of wood smoke - maybe you should raise the price and advertise it as SSA "specially seasoned ammo"!
JustShoot-IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:42   #12
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
To me, repackaged ammo would look more suspicious ("if you had to repackage it, how badly was the original box burnt?"). An intact original box with original plastic/styrofoam tray would indicate that the ammo was not subjected to extreme heat of the fire.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:57   #13
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
To me, repackaged ammo would look more suspicious ("if you had to repackage it, how badly was the original box burnt?"). An intact original box with original plastic/styrofoam tray would indicate that the ammo was not subjected to extreme heat of the fire.
I agree. So long as there were no obvious problems on the box, that would indicate that the ammunition was subjected the fire, I would buy without hesitation. No problems.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:46   #14
das9mm26

John, et al.....
Very sorry to hear of the fire ......Glad it wasn't worse, but NO fire's a "good" one when it's YOURS.....
AFA the smell on the boxes....I really wouldn't be concerned....as long as there's no physical damage to the packaging or its contents...smell should NOT be an issue (OK....the musty smell that Tylenol recalled over WAS an INTERNAL chemical issue...and the product was a consumable....).
Good Luck! I'm still planning on getting down to Dover....when I'm done shoveling snow!!!!
das9mm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:45   #15
G23c

sorry to hear about the fire. the smokey smell wouldn't bother me as long as its disclosed. good luck!
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 13:50   #16
jimbojoker

Don't use ozone.

Ozone will have an effect on ammo. The O3 will oxidize the crap out of brass and lead. Probably won’t be that bad, but depends on the O3 concentration and dwell time. O3 reduces odor by breaking down (oxidizing) odor causing agents in the soot. It will oxidize pretty much anything that it comes in contact with including lead and brass.
jimbojoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 21:43   #17
TDS-US
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojoker View Post
Don't use ozone.

Ozone will have an effect on ammo. The O3 will oxidize the crap out of brass and lead. Probably won’t be that bad, but depends on the O3 concentration and dwell time. O3 reduces odor by breaking down (oxidizing) odor causing agents in the soot. It will oxidize pretty much anything that it comes in contact with including lead and brass.
Thats pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation. Right now we're all of the opinion there isnt enough odor to worry about.

Damn near cried tonight when I sent out a truckload of pistols and AR's all perfectly new if it wasn't for the tar like crud on them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TDS-US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 23:34   #18
napp32

Coincidentally, I just received 2 boxes of Federal .40 cal HST from TDS yesterday. I'm not sure if it was shipped before the fire or not; but I gave it the sniff test when I read this thread....no smoke odor whatsoever.

Sorry to hear about the fire, guys. Hope you get everything back to normal soon. Thanks for the fast shipping on the aforementioned ammo.
napp32 is offline   Reply With Quote