Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:20   #1
Tederrific

Remington buckshot for serious use...

Express value pack buckshot from Walmart, Item #12B00. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use this for home defense? It seems to be reliable, and I've shot a fair amount of it over the years. It appears to be somewhat sealed, how water resistant is it? I know there are more "tactical" loads around, but is there anything wrong with using this stuff socially?
Tederrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:24   #2
raven11

my buddy uses it for hunting , he said even in downpours it still shoots. personally as long as it feeds you might as well shoot it,

as the old saying goes , burglars don't care if thy get shot with a .22 or .45 , they just don't want to get shot
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 16:47   #3
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

As much as I completely despise this overused expression, "it is what it is." It's Remington-brand buckshot. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I've got some left over from when I went to the academy 10 years ago and it still shoots just fine.

The only thing the so-called "tactical" loads are good for is reduced recoil. It doesn't make them more accurate or deadly.

If you want to spend money, the Federal "Flite-Control" ammo looks sweet. Tightens the pattern considerably without Vang-comping your barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 16:51   #4
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Quote:
It seems to be reliable, and I've shot a fair amount of it over the years.
More than anything else, that should be the deciding factor.
Quote:
It appears to be somewhat sealed, how water resistant is it?
If you're bothered you could melt some wax over the crimp or something(Elmers glue?), but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I can rarely hit anything I shoot at underwater anyways. Truly just kidding.
Dr. J Frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 16:31   #5
Tederrific

Thanks for the replies... I just get nervous when I see that it's marked as "Express" buckshot when it comes in the value pack (the inner boxes seem to be the same as the other ones I've bought individually, and are not marked as express), because in my personal experience "Express" = "Crap" when it comes to Remington product lines. And I'm not trying to troll, I do own an Express series shotgun and it's the basis for my analysis.
Old 01-13-2010, 16:36   #6
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Everything they make is "Express" unless it is a "Police" model. The Tactical series guns are also Express models. I wouldn't say the bulk of their product line is "crap." I'm curious now...what was your bad Express experience?
Quote:
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
Old 01-13-2010, 21:01   #7
22highcaps

Pattern it in your gun and if all goes well use it.

All I know about Remington Express Buckshot is that it does not pattern well in any of my 870s.
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 21:41   #8
faceplant

I would not call the express line crap, but when they did come out with the 870 "express" it was a cheaper version of the 870 product line. Fit finish and operation of the regular 870 was better and smoother but you paid for it.

If the remington rounds work in the gun stock up and use it. I have.
faceplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 22:40   #9
EKUJustice

I prefer the low recoil stuff myself but If the express what what I had available I would have no problems using it
EKUJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:24   #10
Tederrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxemt View Post
Everything they make is "Express" unless it is a "Police" model. The Tactical series guns are also Express models. I wouldn't say the bulk of their product line is "crap." I'm curious now...what was your bad Express experience?
I have an older 870 Express, bought in 1995 or so. It even has the metal trigger guard/housing unlike the newer ones. My two points of contention with the gun, from a standpoint of serious use are...

1) The extractor is MIM. Can I replace it? Of course, but it didn't come with a machined one from the factory. Will I ever break it? Probably not. But I am looking at it from a home defense view and if an MIM extractor was completely capable they'd be using them in the police model as well, not the more expensive machined versions.

2) The rust issue. I do not abuse my firearms, and have had my share of less-expensive firearms. Only two have ever had rust issues. One Mossy 500, which rusted a little on the unfinished bolt (expected), and then the 870 which rusts on all metal surfaces unless they stay dripping with Hoppes oil or CLP. If the shotgun gets dry, both the parked and blued surfaces sheen over with rust (except for the aluminum trigger guard). It does this sitting in a safe with a relative humidity of 22-25%. The unfinished hammer also rusts. Once, I shot it and cleaned it, oiling the entire gun but forgetting to rub some on the trigger. Weeks later, I pulled it out again and the trigger was a puffy ball of brown. It was not just surface rust, and is still pitted from where I had to scrub it off. I can't rely on this gun for SD because of this issue. I might not have time to examine the whole shotgun for rust that may implede the functioning of it if I need to grab and go. I have established that it's not just mine either. I have one friend with one that does the same thing, and also two at work that do.

It's a great for field or any other use where it's not life or death if it doesn't go bang. But for something I may really need to work, it's not up to par. I suppose I should clarify and say that it's crap when it comes to serious use. But, that's just an opnion of course, and if your Express models work for you more power to you, and know that I envy you for having one that doesn't give you any issues.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:31   #11
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I've had great luck with my Express, purchased in 1998. It was put through the paces in the academy and performed flawlessly. I've had minor rust issues but that is only after sitting for a long time. Minor surface pitting which still isn't a good thing.

When we had issued shotguns they were Mossberg 500s. I've had a 590, Winchester 1300, and Remington 870 Express. All were great guns but I'm an 870 kind of guy. I'm cheap so I am considering carrying my 870 Express as a duty gun.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take that 870 and send it to AI&P. Refinishing with return shipping is $200, and he'll replace any parts you want with police-series parts. The general construction of the 870 Express models is usually superb (that is to say that it is the same frame). So with a minor parts upgrade and needed refinish, you'll have the equivalent of a new Police model at a fraction of the cost.
Quote:
Old 01-14-2010, 17:54   #12
Tederrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxemt View Post

If I were in your shoes, I'd take that 870 and send it to AI&P. Refinishing with return shipping is $200, and he'll replace any parts you want with police-series parts. The general construction of the 870 Express models is usually superb (that is to say that it is the same frame). So with a minor parts upgrade and needed refinish, you'll have the equivalent of a new Police model at a fraction of the cost.
Do you have contact/website info for this company?? I had thought about sending it in to Wilson or Robar, but was looking at $400 for a refinish and upgrades it really didn't need.
Old 01-14-2010, 17:58   #13
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tederrific View Post
Do you have contact/website info for this company?? I had thought about sending it in to Wilson or Robar, but was looking at $400 for a refinish and upgrades it really didn't need.
click-aippi, the proprietor, is a regular here on this Shotgun board.
Dr. J Frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 17:58   #14
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

He does great work and GREAT communication. Here is the specific link.

http://www.aiptactical.com/Refinishing_Service.php
Quote:
Old 01-14-2010, 20:26   #15
TheLastBoyscout

I have been buying and shooting Remington Express shotgun shells since my early teens (over 30 years) Remington Express shotgun shells DO NOT EQUAL CRAP, they are some of the finest shotgun shells you can get.
Old 01-14-2010, 20:59   #16
aippi

The reason you get the solid steel extractor in the 870 P is that they have run out of marketing points since they started putting the extension on civilian weapons and they have to give you something for you $200 more for that model.

Yes, the parkerizing is better on rust but all express barrels cost more the Parkerized police barrels so the finish is sure not the reason you are paying more. For example. On the Remington parts list the 18.5" parkerized police bead sight I/C choke is now $101 and the 18.5" Express bead sight matte finish cyl bore choke is $131.00. Damn you say? The Express is $30 more then the police? Yes all the Express barrels cost more then the Police barrels.

As for MIM extractors, I have never seen a dull one or one break or fail in any way. The polymer trigger plate assembly is more durable then the cast metal of the P and is what I use on all my personal 870's. This is proven on my web site on the "Build your weapon page. There is a link to a Ruger Drop test video. Watch that and learn.

So for the guy who said Express means crap, I simply ask that you go to my web site and learn about the weapon and review the Remington parts list for all those nasty little things you don't know. Like the breech bolt in your Express is the exact one in the Police and all the parts on on your Express are the same as in the Police except for three little parts that only cost about $20. So if the Express is crap then so is the Wingmaster, the police and all the other and man we all know that aint so. I understand your comment as it is often put on these blogs by people that know little to nothing about the 870. You can learn more then those guys and it will change your mind. Once you know the weapon you will be pleased with that Express in your safe.
Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 15:51   #17
fragout

Remington makes excellent buckshot. I used it while in the Army and I've used it deer hunting, both with excellent results. I think Remington has better quality control with their ammo than they do with their firearms recently.
Operation Restore Hope/ Gothic Serpent
fragout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 18:49   #18
MBG20

id say use whatever patterns best out of your gun...whether its remington, federal, wolf or whatever...
MBG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 20:41   #19
Jeager106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22highcaps View Post
Pattern it in your gun and if all goes well use it.

All I know about Remington Express Buckshot is that it does not pattern well in any of my 870s.

Oh, now you have GOT to explain that statement!
I'm not trying to light your shorts on fire or be otherwise rude but what in the @## are you talking about????????????????????????????????????
At what defensive distance does your Express NOT pattern well?
Take a couple "givens" if you please.
Given you have a large supply of Remington 3 inch Express buckshot.
Given you have access to a large number of shotguns, all choked full choke.
Given the distance is DEFENSIVE lets call it 15 FEET.
Now you fire five patterns of the SAME LOAD from different guns with the SAME choke and tell me the average of the one big ragged hole.
Then tell me what is wrong with the way your Express 870 patterns Remington Express buck.?
To be fair with you I have fired litterally thousands of rounds of buckshot testing ammo.
And "NO" I didn't pay for it, the tax payers did and they got thier monies worth.
Thank you for your kind consideration in this matter.
Old 01-22-2010, 21:26   #20
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBG20 View Post
id say use whatever patterns best out of your gun...whether its remington, federal, wolf or whatever...
Wise words...
method is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:45   #21
inzone

remington magnum

I really like those boxes of 3' remington magnum shotshells they sell at walmart, 15 rounds for about 9 bucks.....that's some serious zombie whacking ammo for a good price, i buy as many boxes as they let me buy every time i go in there...
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 17:27   #22
Jeager106

F.W.I.W. I build my own buckshot loads.
Do I save any money by rolling my own?
Doubt it.
What I do get is all my buck pellets inside a twenty inch circle at 40 yards.
No typo here, I get 100 % patterns at 40 yards inside a 30 inch patterning.
I shoot what you can't normally buy over the counter like # 2, #3, 4, in nickel platted.
I purchase my own buffering agent and learned to tweak my loads to get full benefit from the buffer compound.
There are many ways today to get much better performing buck loads.
So please tell me what kind of "bad" patterns did you get with an 870 that turned you off Express ammo and Express 870 firearms in general?
I keep a small stash of Winchester #1 and #4 beasties around in case U h
gents rush out and buy up the last 5 packs leaving with nuttin'!
I have a "bottom" line for buckshot though. If I get myself below 20 rounds I make more.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38   #23
shootingbuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeager106 View Post
Oh, now you have GOT to explain that statement!
I'm not trying to light your shorts on fire or be otherwise rude but what in the @## are you talking about????????????????????????????????????
At what defensive distance does your Express NOT pattern well?
Take a couple "givens" if you please.
Given you have a large supply of Remington 3 inch Express buckshot.
Given you have access to a large number of shotguns, all choked full choke.
Given the distance is DEFENSIVE lets call it 15 FEET.
Now you fire five patterns of the SAME LOAD from different guns with the SAME choke and tell me the average of the one big ragged hole.
Then tell me what is wrong with the way your Express 870 patterns Remington Express buck.?
To be fair with you I have fired litterally thousands of rounds of buckshot testing ammo.
And "NO" I didn't pay for it, the tax payers did and they got thier monies worth.
Thank you for your kind consideration in this matter.
First as your follow up post stated you can get 100% of your loads in a 30" circle at 40. So you must understand that what one person expects from their load gun/choke combo may not be the same as someone else's.

One should pick all loads for all firearms to do what they want. Might be different from your own.

My requirement for buck is depending on where I plan on shooting it and what I think my max range well be and if there are NS. That is how I pick my loads and yes I have fast spreading loads to Fed w/fc. No I do not load my own buck but do reload shot shells. I do not use fast spreading 9 nor hvy 5/6 loads for the same thing. It is the same thought process.

So remember everything is situational to each persons needs.

Best,

sb
Old 01-24-2010, 23:28   #24
Jeager106

NOT 100% in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards, but a 20 inch circle at 40 yards.
That's with #1, #2, #3 buck. ), #2 ought and triple ought don't fair as well.
Choke is a .665 Primo, load is buffered correctly, wad is the thick wads for multi-metal or steel shot.
I'm more than a little curious why our friend says he gets poor patterns from Remington buckshot.
With what choke and what distance?
Buffering plated buck is not diffcult but it must be done exactly according to directions or the buffering can be skipped, however you will pay for that at the pattern board.
Old 01-24-2010, 23:36   #25
mitchshrader
Deceased

Stored, I've got one metric hernias worth of remington .38 special and remington .357 and remington .30-06.

You can guess what company makes my shotgun ammo but you don't win anything if you get it right.