GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:47   #1
sink156

Ohio LEOs chime in (LEOSA question...yes another one)

I have to run up to Cincinnati tommorrow, my dad is having surgery at one of the Jewish hospitals. Is there anything I need to know before I get there, I don't want to be hung up wasting time and not get to see him before he goes down to the OR.

Thanks in advance.
sink156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 13:42   #2
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Some of the larger hospitals have armed hospital police. Only one hospital I've been in employs metal detectors at the ER doors (other public entrances don't have them), and the few times I've gone in that ER I just discreetly tell the officer that I'm a cop and carrying, badge them, and they ignore the metal detector when it alerts.

Under LEOSA you can legally carry in an Ohio hospital but I doubt you will ever have to ID yourself, they most likely won't even know you are carrying.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 16:58   #3
p.d.

Good luck to your Dad. As to the other matter, the only place I've ever had a problem was the VA, and they made me put my pistol in a locker in their security office and I was in full uniform.
p.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 19:46   #4
9L82
Caffeine Addled

I have been to both Jewish Hospitals, you won't have an issue, just keep it concealed.
Old 01-13-2010, 00:31   #5
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I carry in all the hospitals here, on and off. Just never went to the State Metropolitan Hospital where they are unarmed due to the correctional nature of the place.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:18   #6
imaguy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.d. View Post
Good luck to your Dad. As to the other matter, the only place I've ever had a problem was the VA, and they made me put my pistol in a locker in their security office and I was in full uniform.
can they legally do that if you're in uniform and working? I went to visit a co-worker out here in the hospital while on duty, the hospital security guard tried to tell me he'd secure my weapon for me, I told him to piss off...
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:25   #7
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

There are places where you would have to take your gun off even when on duty, but not a general hospital setting unless it was a correctional type such as our Metropolitan State Hospitals. Maybe he went to a secured area of the VA?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28   #8
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
can they legally do that if you're in uniform and working? I went to visit a co-worker out here in the hospital while on duty, the hospital security guard tried to tell me he'd secure my weapon for me, I told him to piss off...
Can the VA do that? Yes. Why? It is federal property, and as such whilst on the federal property, you are subject to US law and agency policy.

Now, I won't tell you to carry concealed on their property, as it is against the law on all VA Hospital grounds as far as I know.

Depending on state law regarding law enforcement officers carrying off duty on others property, including hospitals, they can tell you to get lost if you refuse to allow your weapon to be secured, or call the police and have them tell you to get lost.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:03   #9
imaguy3

yeah, I understood the off duty issue, but I didn't realize the VA was a different animal like that with the federal property... my bad...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:04   #10
p.d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
I was there to visit my Uncle, who passed later that day, so I wasn't very concerned, and frankly, their security folks seemed very squared away. My assumption was that I would be near or passing through wings of the building that had patients with some cognitive issues, and they didn't want weapons around. Besides, I was out of my state at the time. And I did get the key from the weapons locker, just as I would at our detention facility.
p.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:12   #11
imaguy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.d. View Post
I was there to visit my Uncle, who passed later that day, so I wasn't very concerned, and frankly, their security folks seemed very squared away. My assumption was that I would be near or passing through wings of the building that had patients with some cognitive issues, and they didn't want weapons around. Besides, I was out of my state at the time. And I did get the key from the weapons locker, just as I would at our detention facility.
I'm sorry for your loss... I just don't like the idea of having a huge target on in the form of a uniform, and not having my weapon in case I need it... no matter where I am...
Old 01-13-2010, 21:51   #12
sink156

Thanks guys, all went well with the surgery. I did not have time to reply until now. Again, thanks.
sink156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 00:45   #13
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Glad to hear everything went well!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:37   #14
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Can the VA do that? Yes. Why? It is federal property, and as such whilst on the federal property, you are subject to US law and agency policy.

Now, I won't tell you to carry concealed on their property, as it is against the law on all VA Hospital grounds as far as I know.

Depending on state law regarding law enforcement officers carrying off duty on others property, including hospitals, they can tell you to get lost if you refuse to allow your weapon to be secured, or call the police and have them tell you to get lost.
I have copy of thier rules printed out and the VA believes it's crap don't stink, and it is their way or the highway.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:34   #15
Gary Slider

Gentlemen, I can't find any Info to post on Handgunlaw.us concerning Ohio and LEOSA. Are there any links to info for Ohio LEO's who have retired? Has Ohio set any regs on certification process etc. I can't find any info on this for Ohio. Any assistance you could give Handgunlaw.us in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:44   #16
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
Gentlemen, I can't find any Info to post on Handgunlaw.us concerning Ohio and LEOSA. Are there any links to info for Ohio LEO's who have retired? Has Ohio set any regs on certification process etc. I can't find any info on this for Ohio. Any assistance you could give Handgunlaw.us in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
I could be totally wrong here (because I'm not retired and thus never really paid attn to the retired part) but I believe the retired requirements are spelled out in the LEOSA and not handled by any Ohio law.

I see you're from WV, are you planning on moving to OH? There's always a possibility that you could do your annual requal with the sheriffs office for whatever county you're moving to. The majority of the less populated counties still have very accessible sheriffs and you could likely contact one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 14:58   #17
Gary Slider

FiremanMike,

The Feds passed the law but the states must implement it. Many states have passed laws and setup regulations on certifying their retired LEO's. The State or Local Dept doesn't have to set anything up and their retires can't carry under LEOSA. Some states have passed laws and regs that has the state certifying all retires in the state even those who move in from out of state. But it is up to the States or Cities to certify their officers. HR 218 just allows Certified Retired Officers and those still working to carry across state lines. In other words Federal Law gives them the right to carry even in states that don't have a permit/license to carry and even DC if they are certified by their state. I just don't have anything for Ohio.

I want the info because at www.handgunlaw.us I try to give Retired Officers info on how/where to get certified so they can carry. I have checked many FOP sites and they say very little or nothing about it while others give them all the info they need to certify.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Gary Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 17:00   #18
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/g.../2004-028.aspx

One source. It does tend to go against the act in some parts.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 19:15   #19
ohio pat

Ohio leosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
Bottom line, HR218 states that state certified law enforcement instructors will qualify retired leos. In Ohio retired leo's must qualify using the same course that active officers do.

If you want a copy of the applicable regulations please email me for a copy.

thanks
pat olvey
swohioccw218@yahoo.com

Last edited by ohio pat; 10-18-2011 at 19:16.. Reason: mispelled word
ohio pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 19:27   #20
ohio pat

Ohio LEOSA Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio pat View Post
Bottom line, HR218 states that state certified law enforcement instructors will qualify retired leos. In Ohio retired leo's must qualify using the same course that active officers do.

If you want a copy of the applicable regulations please email me for a copy.

thanks
pat olvey
swohioccw218@yahoo.com
Here is the regulations, most agencies in Ohio do not qualify their own retired officers. There are a few people like me who do several group requals per year and also some private ones. Contact me if you live in Ohio and need to qualify. As if this date we are using a course of fire known as Hand Gun 06, it is a 60 round-7 stage course. This is the same course of fire used by most agencies in Ohio, if they do not use this course they are using one that has been approved for their use only and meets or exceeds Hand Gun 06.

Ohio Administrative Code 109:2-13-05 Explanation of the minimum requirements for firearms re-qualification.
109:2-13-05(C) A firearms re-qualification instructor may design a program which includes those criteria outlined in paragraph (B) of this rule and shall submit on forms provided by the executive director, such program to the executive director for his approval. Re-qualification programs which are submitted to the executive director shall be equal to or exceed established minimum requirements. The approval of such programs shall be given in writing.
HR 218Public Law 108-277108th Congress An Act To amend title 18, United States Code, to exempt qualified current and former law enforcement officers from State laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed handguns. <<NOTE: July 22, 2004 - [H.R. 218]>>``(d) The identification required by this subsection is-- ``(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or ``(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer; and ``(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State to meet the standards established by the State for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.
ohio pat is offline   Reply With Quote