Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2010, 19:01   #1
PatinAz

Caliber conversion costs

A quick question for you guys running progressive presses: Dillon vs Hornady.

I have a general idea of whats involved with changing calibers on the Dillon 550 and 650 (shell plate, tool head/dies). What are the average costs, with or without a seperate powder dispenser per caliber change?

What is involved and what are costs for changing calibers on a Hornady LnL AP? Is a seperate powder dispenser indispensible?

Basically, which press is cheaper to convert calibers, assuming I allready have the dies?

WORK HARDER-MILLIONS ON WELFARE DEPEND ON IT.
PatinAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 19:05   #2
Colorado4Wheel

Hornady is going to be cheaper. Don't need a new powder measure with Dillon. Not even close. You can get the Micrometer powder bar and save settings as well. No matter how you look at it Hornady is cheaper.
Old 01-12-2010, 19:05   #3
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

$27 shell plate for the LNL. The powder measure stays in the tool head, just readjust for your new powder charge.

Screw your new dies into the bushings, adjust them the when you change calibers just turn the bushing an 1/8th turn and pop new dies in.

Whole caliber change, including primer size change takes 5-8 minutes.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 20:29   #4
Colorado4Wheel

To be fair it's going to be $27 + The LnL bushings. He was talking about toolheads for the 550/650/etc so you could do with out those just the same as you do with any press. Most people won't do it like that of course.
Old 01-12-2010, 22:05   #5
PatinAz

Yeah, I'm referring to complete tool heads. I have a Lee CT, and have about a half dozen turrets with the dies allready set in them-quick caliber change.

So, the with a Hornady, I'd want extra bushings to equal a Dillon with extra tool head?

I'll probably drop the ball and get either a Dillon or Hornady. I've been doing homework on the 550/650, but am now considering the LnL. So I'm trying to decide which would suit me best. I'll be using if for pistol, .223 and .308 (Varget/IMR 4895).

Thanks for the input so far.

WORK HARDER-MILLIONS ON WELFARE DEPEND ON IT.
PatinAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 22:47   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Main difference is the LnL uses a station to flare a case using a die so its one less part. Of course if you set the LnL up with a PTX then you have to buy that. I don't know about it and rifle. Dillons always use a Powder Funnel specific for each caliber and they use buttons rather then a coil like on the LnL. You can get a LnL Powder Funnel not made by hornady that will do the common pistol calibers. For better or worse it does not do the neck expansion like the Dillon Powder Funnel.
Old 01-12-2010, 23:47   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatinAz View Post
Yeah, I'm referring to complete tool heads. I have a Lee CT, and have about a half dozen turrets with the dies allready set in them-quick caliber change.

So, the with a Hornady, I'd want extra bushings to equal a Dillon with extra tool head?

I'll probably drop the ball and get either a Dillon or Hornady. I've been doing homework on the 550/650, but am now considering the LnL. So I'm trying to decide which would suit me best. I'll be using if for pistol, .223 and .308 (Varget/IMR 4895).

Thanks for the input so far.
If you decide to go w/ a PTX, and you want to save your powder/flare settings... You can buy the powder measure "lowers" at Midway for around $20. Put it in a bushing, and when you do a swap, simply swap the powder measure from one powder die to the other. Then if you really want to, you can buy another metering insert, to save your powder settings...

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote