SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:46   #1
Scott in Houston

Buying ammo for guns I don't own...

... yet.

I've been buying 357SIG and .45 ACP whenever I see it. I don't own a gun in either of those calibers, yet. I plan on getting a G32 this weekend or next.
The .45, I plan on getting a 1911 sometime this Spring.

Anyone else ever buy ammo just because it's hard to find even if you can't use it yet?

It feels strange bringing it home and storing it. I just know that I'll use it eventually, and worst case scenario, getting rid of it (selling it) will be easy if I ever have to.

Today there was one box of .357SIG and one 45ACP (both WWB) at Walmart and I bought them both. LOL

This will probably tick off those who actually own the caliber now, but oh well. I figure I saw it, it's my right to buy it.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:48   #2
J_Rico

I have done the same thing. I knew there was an AR .22lr conversion kit in my future so I bought some of that Aquila 60gr SSS stuff when I had the chance.

Theodore Roosevelt
J_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:01   #3
gdvan01

Coin of the realm.....you can always trade it for something needed.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
gdvan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06   #4
proheromk1

The short answer is, you are part of the problem.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34   #5
samuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by proheromk1 View Post

He bought two boxes of ammo. I don't think he's causing any trouble. I had a pretty good stash of .40 before I got my G-23, I knew I wanted one, so I had some ammo ready when I finally picked one up.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 13:37   #6
Scott in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by proheromk1 View Post

Weird! I don't feel guilty at all... go figure.
Old 01-15-2010, 14:01   #7
das9mm26

Better to have it and not need it.....than need it and not HAVE it!!
As someone has already pointed out....if something in your plan goes awry, and you find yourself with ammo and no gun to shoot it in.....there's always someone who IS looking for what you've got (it's AMMO, remember???!) and you can most likely pull a trade of some sort......
I'm hearing of others doing this with increasing frequency...the local Wal-Mart has large quantities of .40 S&W, and virtually nothing else. One of the managers has told me he's going to cave in and buy a .40 and get some of that ammo...."since no one else seems to want it...."
das9mm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 14:06   #8
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

You just might be a gun nut, for buying ammo for gun your don't own.....Yet.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117508

Old 01-15-2010, 14:39   #9
Shock & Awe

I did the same thing before buying my first .45. Nothing wrong with it at all.
Shock & Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 14:51   #10
PghJim

If you are planning to buy the guns, I would think it is quite normal, it is a step closer to the gun. While I was having a custom rifle built I bought ammo, bullets, primer, etc. It just built the excitement of getting the gun.

Those are the two calibers I use, and I think they will serve you well. Sometimes premium defense ammo is very hard to come by, but the 357 sig is a little harder to get unless you shoot Speer. Ammo to Go had HST's and I bought hundereds. I am not going to be caught short on ammo again. Since you are thinking of a 357 sig, the round I carried and shot much, I will give you my opinon. Cor-bon 115 or 125 grains is the most devestating 357 sig cartridges. But Corbon has not been able to make them because Seirra was filling a big government contract and they were not making handgun bullets. I never thought of Cor-Bon as being that big, but they told me they have 500,000 of each weight ordered. He did not know what the government contract was, and the Seirra folks are not giving out information.

Last edited by PghJim; 01-15-2010 at 14:54..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 15:26   #11
Scott in Houston

Thanks for the info!
Yeah, I don't think it's bad per-say, but weird, maybe.

I am excited about having the gun. It's only a matter of time now.
Old 01-15-2010, 15:49   #12
gatorboy

I don't buy any for guns I don't own but I have some left for guns I used to have. Maybe when I'm old I can shoot some of that 44 special I had for my Bulldog in my 629...
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 16:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
He bought two boxes of ammo. I don't think he's causing any trouble. I had a pretty good stash of .40 before I got my G-23, I knew I wanted one, so I had some ammo ready when I finally picked one up.
I agree.

Given the still "spotty" availability in certain places of certain calibers, I can't fault anyone for laying in a decent supply of ammunition before buying a new gun, especially one in a caliber that he has never owned before, which means that he likely had no prior supply in the first place.

Hell, if I was about to jump into another caliber, two lousy boxes wouldn't be enough. I'd be in the market for at least a case (1,000) each of FMJs and premium JHPs and that would be a "minimum comfort" proposition.

Even with ammo availability generally on the rise and prices showing some decline, you never know when the next wave of hysteria will sweep the market.

Whether you believe it or not, after the "big zero" was elected, ours became a new reality.
481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 16:39   #14
Scott in Houston

The reason I only have two boxes (100 rounds total) is that I've only found 2 boxes! haha

It has me worried for the long term in owning this gun, but I think I'll manage.
Old 01-15-2010, 16:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
The reason I only have two boxes (100 rounds total) is that I've only found 2 boxes! haha

It has me worried for the long term in owning this gun, but I think I'll manage.
Scott,

My brother in law is having much the same problem.

He wants a Glock 20, but the lack of readily available 10mm ammo (in both FMJ and JHP) is a real concern for him at this time. He is uninterested in commercial remanufactured ammo which makes it even harder to satisfy the ammo availability issue.

Unless he can obtain at least 500 rounds of FMJ and half that again of a decent quality JHP, I suspect that he is likely to buy a Glock 19 and call it "good enough".
481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 16:58   #16
Scott in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 481 View Post
Scott,

My brother in law is having much the same problem.

He wants a Glock 20, but the lack of readily available 10mm ammo (in both FMJ and JHP) is a real concern for him at this time. He is uninterested in commercial remanufactured ammo which makes it even harder to satisfy the ammo availability issue.

Unless he can obtain at least 500 rounds of FMJ and half that again of a decent quality JHP, I suspect that he is likely to buy a Glock 19 and call it "good enough".

Yeah. I understand that. I'm avoiding the whole Ruger LCP or Kahr in .380 for the same reason. I'd love to have a true "pocket" gun at times, but the lack of ammo for .380 is keeping me from buying one at all.

I own currently have a G19, 26, & 27 (as well as a surprisingly great PT100 that I have had since 1990), so I have 9mm and .40S&W covered. In my safe I have 5000+ rounds of 9mm, and 3000+ of .40.

And now 100 rounds of .357SIG. haha

I will still get the G32. I've seen the .357SIG around quite a bit, but just lately haven't seen much. It's definitely more available than .45ACP or .380, and I think it's becoming more available too. I just wish it was cheaper!
Old 01-15-2010, 17:02   #17
Morgo

Yup, I've done it. Actually I still have 200rds of ammo that I don't have a firearm for yet

If you feel weird now wait until you buy a load of ammo (at a very good price) in a cal that you never planned on buying and then need to go buy a rifle to shoot the ammo and actually end up spending less on the rifle than the ammo
Morgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:19   #18
.45Super-Man

I've been stocking up on Depends because I KNOW that one day I'll be able to use them. I figure when the SHTF, they should be the one thing even MORE useful than ammo that I can't use!
.45Super-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:54   #19
Kalmah
Supreme Member

I don't currently have any rifles in 5.45x39, but I have been considering getting an AK in that caliber. Just haven't really made up my mind yet.

Still, I see good deals on cases of surplus 5.45 and I'm really, really tempted to buy some.

I figure if I buy the ammo now and get the rifle later, I'm set up with cases of decently priced ammo for it.

If I buy the ammo now and never end up getting the rifle, I'll be sitting on cases of ammo that I can sell or trade at a later time. The price of the ammo may or may not go up while I'm sitting on it, but I doubt the price will ever go down. So at worst, I'd break even on it.

Just don't know if I want to go through the hassle of trying to unload it if I don't get the rifle. So I'm still holding back from buying.

What to do, what to do.

Last edited by Kalmah; 01-16-2010 at 11:59..
Kalmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 18:33   #20
G23c

i have magazines for rifles and pistols I dont own.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote