Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:04   #21
sns3guppy

Quote:
Maybe I should send it back to the factory and get it replaced with one of the ones you guys are talking about!
You probably should, yes.

Quote:
Nobody ever heard of a Kimber that wasn't perfect? I'll bet Kimber's Customer Service Dept is manned by the same lonely guy who worked for Maytag years ago. And Springfield Arms probably doesn't even have/need a Customer Service Dept.
Of course they have customer service departments. Good ones. But they don't see nearly the frequency of returns that Taurus does.

Quote:
Why can't everyone just be happy for a person who got a new gun without putting them down?
Reading comprehension 101...the original poster didn't state that he got a new Taurus. He simply asked for honest opinions from forum members. You see the difference, don't you?

Quote:
Why do most people like to put down a gun that they've only seen or read about but haven't fired themselves?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I had to put it down, without ever shooting it, because A) I felt dirty holding it; B) the only way to shoot it was to buy it and that was NOT going to happen; C) I don't believe in wasting money; D) I could have bought a better firearm for less money; D) it felt cheap before ever having to chamber a round; and E) I couldn't have cared less about it's function after having handled it. Hence my previous responses, addressing specifics about the weapon.

So long as you're on that "most people" part, why do you suppose it is that very few people find happiness with their Taurus 1911?

Why is it that the best selling firearms are cheap weapons, and some of the most avid defenders of their firearm are the ones who buy the cheap weapons? I had a guy pontificate at length one night, in a walmart of all places, on the virtues of his hi-point on his hip. To hear him tell it, the Lord himself came down and blessed the earth with the design. Glad you're happy with your Taurus 1911. You're in somewhat of an elite group, however...there aren't too many of you around.

Quote:
Many people are quick to write about a bad experience buy many more, with great experiences, rarely pick up a pen.
Setting aside sentence structure, it's just as well. They'd get ink all over their keyboard.

Quote:
If you haven't owned and fired a gun, you have very little right to bash it.
Really? By that logic, we need to try cocaine to tell kids to stay off drugs, and one must drop out of school in order to have the right to tell kids to stay in school. One must crash a car in order to have the right to tell others to not crash their car (and wear seatbelts), and let's not forget that if you ever plan to tell someone to eat all their vegetables, you'd better stop, right away. After all, if you haven't done it and don't own it, then you've no right to tell others. Correct?

Now, in all fairness, you didn't specifically state that if one has never owned or fired a Taurus 1911, then one has very little right to bash it. You simply said that anyone who hasn't owned "a gun." Most likely everyone here is a "gun" owner, so does that give everyone the right to express their opinion? Does the fact that the original poster asked an open-ended question inviting opinions, count?

I've flown a lot of aircraft I don't own. I've evaluated them, operated them, worked them. As I don't own them, are my evaluations invalid?

I've seen aircraft I wouldn't fly; I've discovered items during a preflight inspection which lead me to reject the aircraft for maintenance reasons, or paperwork reasons. As I didn't own it, and didn't operate it, does this mean I don't have a leg to stand on?

Perhaps because I have considerable experience as a pilot and mechanic, I might be able to evaluate that aircraft without ever getting it it. You think? Likewise, a number of shooters here have enough experience that they can evaluate for themselves whether a firearm is worth buying, or shooting. Now, they may learn more for themselves once they fire the weapon...a weapon may look great, but may not be worth anything when shot. Or a weapon may look poor, but shoot fine. Many of us, however, don't want to waste our money on a weapon that's poorly fit, and that operates in an uneven, gritty manner, and which feels cheap from the get-go.

Perhaps it's actually up to us, whether we want to go as far as buying or owning the weapon. Do you think?
sns3guppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:25   #22
Ian

Quote:
the original poster didn't state that he got a new Taurus. He simply asked for honest opinions from forum members
sns3guppy:
You are correct.
I posted this as my friend was about to purchase this firearm, and I was unable to convince him otherwise.
Through years of experience, I have only heard of bad reports about Taurus revolvers and semi-autos, and having read postings here, the same thing seems true of their 1911's.
Many thanks to all posters, and especially for your post, as we were amazed at how extensive and informative your reply was.

Quote:
faawrenchbndr: You can put a pig in a dress, but, it's still a pig.
Excellent!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36   #23
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Seems to be a love or hate brand of 1911.
That really seems to be the case.

My wife's nightstand gun is a Taurus Judge loaded with two buckshot rounds and three .45 Long Colt Winchester Silver Tips. Next month, we'll be loading it with the new Winchester PDX1 rounds with three plated Defense Disc projectiles and 12 pellets of plated BB shot in each cartridge.

When I come home late at night from a flight I text message her, "It's me, don't shoot!".

She carries an all steel ported Taurus .38 Special snubbie. She needed the recoil reduction accomplished by the porting and increased weight. Taurus was the only manufacturer that we found that offered a ported 2 inch .38.

We have been satisfied with the performance of both weapons. I have no direct experience with the Taurus 1911, however, one of the men I shoot with has one and he seems pleased with the weapon at its price point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 01-14-2010 at 11:40..
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19   #24
sns3guppy

Quote:
Through years of experience, I have only heard of bad reports about Taurus revolvers and semi-autos, and having read postings here, the same thing seems true of their 1911's.
I've actually found some of their revolvers to be a good value, in the past. I don't own any presently, but haven't had much concern with their revolvers.
Old 01-14-2010, 13:01   #25
marlinfan

I have a springfield GI and a taurus pt1911. I've shot a couple cases of ammo through both and carry one or the other depending on my mood and both do the job of going bang when they need to. I don't have the money for an Ed Brown or Wilson and in my opinion, the taurus does an ok job for such a cheap gun.
Old 01-14-2010, 13:09   #26
krunchnik
THE CROW

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
HMMM,I wonder why it only got 1 low rating on Buds,seems their customers are happy with their PT1911.I am with mine,never had a single failure with mine.And I have owned other makes and models I wasnt happy with,presently I carry a RIA officers size and also own a Para and a Springer.I am happy with all 4 of them.If you compare all the makers of 1911,s you will find they all produce some problematic pieces at one time or another.If I were to listen to everyone one elses opinion on firearms I wouldnt own a Para either,and its been flawless to this point(other than their finish),and I also hear Springers EMP has feeding problems also,All in all,make the decision on what you like,cause thats all that matters in the end.
SECONDARY-KIMBER PRO CARRY HD II
krunchnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 13:52   #27
sns3guppy

Quote:
...the taurus does an ok job for such a cheap gun.
Cheap, as opposed to inexpensive. One refers to quality, one refers to price.
Old 01-14-2010, 14:58   #28
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunchnik View Post
HMMM,I wonder why it only got 1 low rating on Buds......
Uh,.....they are in the business to SELL guns not post reviews that
discourage sales!

It's still a pig.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 15:14   #29
marlinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
Cheap, as opposed to inexpensive. One refers to quality, one refers to price.
yea, whatever dude....
Old 01-14-2010, 15:56   #30
harleyfx69

you get whta you pay for the on the taurus 1911,

replace the lawyer lock hammer for starters,

along with the mismatched internals that you will probably never look at until something breaks on you..

replace the safetys with something a "little" better .. and your on your way to a good start ..

and ultimately if you have the change and a good gunsmith, replace all add on parts to the gun as its a good forged frame / slide for a build

Due to budget constraints, EOTW has been postponed indefinitely
harleyfx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 17:49   #31
sns3guppy

Quote:
yea, whatever dude....
Setting aside the intellectual contribution that "yea, whatever dude" makes, and the misspelling of 33% of that post, have you a dictionary? Do you understand the meaning of the word "cheap?"
Old 01-14-2010, 18:08   #32
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Setting aside the intellectual contribution that "yea, whatever dude" makes, and the misspelling of 33% of that post, have you a dictionary? Do you understand the meaning of the word "cheap?"
This particular post contributes diddly to this thread.
It just reinforces the fact that you seem to be in this one just to
argue a point with NO experience of the weapon.

I argue that it's always been a PIG, it's been a dressed up PIG,
and it will continue to always be a,........
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 19:02   #33
sns3guppy

I wasn't the one that called it cheap. I did point out that cheap means poor in quality, not low in price. It's not really inexpensive...but it is cheap.

An accurate statement contributes as much to the thread as anything, and directly addresses the original question of the thread itself.
Old 01-14-2010, 20:04   #34
marlinfan

Sorry if I offended you by saying cheap instead of inexpensive. My apologies. It's one of my carry guns and the rest of my cheap collection of springfields and rugers probably don't appeal to many here in this subforum either, just stating what experience I've had with the pt1911 like the thread stated.. I'll make sure to not clog up the 1911 forum in the future.
Old 01-14-2010, 20:24   #35
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:

So long as you're on that "most people" part, why do you suppose it is that very few people find happiness with their Taurus 1911?

Do you think?
Actually, it seems that very few people find un-happiness with their Taurus 1911 as it is HUGELY successful product line.

.....but do go on as your relentless PT 1911 bashing, without ever owning or shooting one, is quite entertaining!
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 22:08   #36
sns3guppy

Quote:
Actually, it seems that very few people find un-happiness with their Taurus 1911 as it is HUGELY successful product line.
Perhaps you are basing this comment on the number sold? Lorcin, Jennings, and other cheap, poor firearms are sold in large numbers...and in fact are some of the best selling firearms. Their success in sales does not make them a good firearm; it simply caters to a cheap clientele.

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you by saying cheap instead of inexpensive.
I don't think you offended anyone. You made a correct statement. It is a cheap firearm. Just not inexpensive.
Old 01-14-2010, 22:34   #37
SouthpawShootr
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
I think the gun snobs are just jealous that they got took for $2000+ when a $650 1911 would have been just as good.
Do you believe everything you read?

I can't boast any 1911s to compare with what's in Bac's collection, but I will tell you that the PT1911 is nowhere close to a $2000 gun. Sure they list custom "features" but most of them are done in a half-assed fashion with substandard parts. I've never seen "checkering" like this before. A decent stippling job is far easier (and cheaper) to do. Although the sights carry big names (Heinie and Novak), I'm told these are actually licensed copies and the dovetails are not proprietary to Taurus. Though I haven't yet experienced a safety failure, there's been enough individual reports to convince me there's a problem. I'll keep my PT1911AR, maybe gradually upgrade it with Wilson or Ed Brown parts. At this point, I'm more impressed with my Rock Island Tactical. Not as many "features" but a much better value in my book.

Now as to the OP's question. I would avoid PT1911s with aluminum frames. At least for a while. See how they hold up. Taurus' best production gun, the PT92, uses an aluminum frame and they're great, but that expertise doesn't necessarily transfer to the 1911 platform. Stress and wear points are different and I don't know that Taurus has verified durability. Further, I wouldn't order one. If I could handle the particular gun I'm going to buy, assure myself that all is well with it (as much as possible), then I'd feel better about it.
SouthpawShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 22:37   #38
glock2740
Gun lover.

It looks like a badass pellet pistol.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 22:52   #39
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post

.....but do go on as your relentless PT 1911 bashing, without ever owning or shooting one, is quite entertaining!
There are a lot of people just as willing to believe marketing hype as you are. There are much better guns. In fact, there are much better guns for the same price. It appears that many people still think they can get something for nothing, and have to learn the hard way.

And as far as the lack of experience part, I have as much experience with them as anybody here. I did the paperwork on 12 of them when they sold. Then I did the paperwork to return half of them to the factory to be rebuilt into a working product, and they took their time getting them back to us. Then I had to return one again so they could try a third time, which took even longer. Nobody had put 1,000 rounds through them at that point. Crappy gun. Crappy company. No thanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 23:08   #40
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
a friend of mine bought a PT1911 when i got my SA Milspec. he boasted about all of the custom features but i felt that my milspec was actually a better fitted gun. we paid about the same price initially but he had to replace the sights and safeties on his as they fell off. both of us actually shot the milspec better as well. my gun has over 2K rounds through it and his has 200. hes now trying to trade it off.

i think Taurus does a good job marketing to those who dont really know much about the 1911 platform in the first place.