SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:16   #41
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
a friend of mine bought a PT1911 when i got my SA Milspec. he boasted about all of the custom features but i felt that my milspec was actually a better fitted gun.
The SA is a much better fitted 1911.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:08   #42
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

My dad recently bought a blued PT1911 from a coworker for $300 and after handling it I was impressed by the action. The Slide ran super smooth on the rails and the trigger wasn't bad. The hammer sucks and the finish on the safety, grips safety, and slide stop dont match the gun for ****. They have a purplish hue to them like they've been colored with a black sharpie. overall not a bad gun for $300 but I personally wouldn't give much more for it.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55   #43
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by travclem View Post
My dad recently bought a blued PT1911 from a coworker for $300 and after handling it I was impressed by the action. The Slide ran super smooth on the rails and the trigger wasn't bad. The hammer sucks and the finish on the safety, grips safety, and slide stop dont match the gun for ****. They have a purplish hue to them like they've been colored with a black sharpie. overall not a bad gun for $300 but I personally wouldn't give much more for it.
Unfortunately I have seen it creeping up inot the 700s lately in some shops. I think that unless they can get it back down to soemthing similar to a RIA in price, they arent worth it.
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 19:12   #44
doolyd

Bought my PT1911 Stainless about 1 year ago has about 1500 rounds through it and has been absolutely perfect. My buddy got one before I did and his also has been absolutely perfect.

I won't debate fit and finish but as far as accuracy and reliability I have had absolutely no issues.

It seems every time BAC replies about PT1911 threads he hates the Taurus more and more. I remember he didn't have so much hate when I was asking about them a year ago. BAC, did you have some bad experience with yours. How many rounds do you have through yours?

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 19:42   #45
mike55

I don't care for the aluminum frame. I prefer the models that are all steel because thet are one of the easiest pistols to shoot well.

Also, I have no complaints about my PT1911. I like it so well that I have plans to get one in 38 Super in the near future.
mike
Old 01-15-2010, 19:46   #46
raceone

Bac does seem inconsistent on his comments at times. Fusion is another company he has said positive things and other times he has said negative things about them. There isn't a Gun company or Smith you can't find fault with as well as positive things. Be it customer service, fit and finish, price etc.
If you like brand x gun or smith x built gun and like it and enjoy shooting it thats all that matters.
raceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 23:47   #47
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolyd View Post
Bought my PT1911 Stainless about 1 year ago has about 1500 rounds through it and has been absolutely perfect. My buddy got one before I did and his also has been absolutely perfect.

I won't debate fit and finish but as far as accuracy and reliability I have had absolutely no issues.

It seems every time BAC replies about PT1911 threads he hates the Taurus more and more. I remember he didn't have so much hate when I was asking about them a year ago. BAC, did you have some bad experience with yours. How many rounds do you have through yours?
I think Bac is the same as I am on that, if someone says "I got a taurus with X amount of rounds and its a good accurate gun" bac would say the same thing I would, congrats you got a good one. When someone starts to compare it to a 2000 dollar gun, well, thats a stupid statement, and deserves a response accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceone View Post
Bac does seem inconsistent on his comments at times. Fusion is another company he has said positive things and other times he has said negative things about them. There isn't a Gun company or Smith you can't find fault with as well as positive things. Be it customer service, fit and finish, price etc.
If you like brand x gun or smith x built gun and like it and enjoy shooting it thats all that matters.
Thats because different models from a same manufacturer will have differing levels of quality. Sig, Para, etc. all suffer from this same situation. You cant say that all models by a manufacturer are perfect, its just not true.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:03   #48
raceone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
I think Bac is the same as I am on that, if someone says "I got a taurus with X amount of rounds and its a good accurate gun" bac would say the same thing I would, congrats you got a good one. When someone starts to compare it to a 2000 dollar gun, well, thats a stupid statement, and deserves a response accordingly.
Agreed

Thats because different models from a same manufacturer will have differing levels of quality. Sig, Para, etc. all suffer from this same situation. You cant say that all models by a manufacturer are perfect, its just not true.
Thats why I said "There isn't a Gun company or Smith you can't find fault with as well as positive things. Be it customer service, fit and finish, price etc."
raceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:36   #49
Brucev

Cheap is relative. For some folks... $500 is not much money. For others it's a week's pay. From my perspective, if now looking for a 1911, I'd think really hard before I bought a new Taurus at anything close to retail. There are many very good 1911 pistols on the market that are excellent choices for the same amount of money. After a good bit of looking around I recently bought a Springfield Mil Spec for $400 OTD. This pistol was bought in a retail shop! When bought it showed no signs of having fired more than a magazine of rounds. It was virtually new in every respect. It now has 500 trouble free rounds down the tube. If there is ever a problem, Springfield offers excellent customer service. If you are looking for a 1911, go slow... think about what you want in your pistol and what you want to do with it. Then shop for the pistol that will meet your needs. Don't let anyone's advertising hype or opinion drive your decision. When all is said and done, it's your money... buy what will best satisfy you. Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 20:37   #50
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceone View Post
Actually, I'm very consistent. It depends one what you're comparing it to. I think Fusion compares well to most production 1911s, but when someone starts comparing them to Baer or Brown, that's when I blow the whistle.

Its all relative, if that makes sense.

Last edited by bac1023; 01-16-2010 at 20:40..
Old 01-16-2010, 20:39   #51
bac1023

Quote:
My PT1911 had 200 or so rounds through it when the ambi safety fell off.

I don't hate them any more now than I did a year ago. However, when someone makes an idiotic comment about it being as good as a $2000+ 1911, I feel the need to respond in a strong fashion.

I've said many times that I thought the PT was overpriced and I've said many times that I thought RIA was a better quality gun and certainly a better value.

Last edited by bac1023; 01-17-2010 at 12:10..
Old 01-16-2010, 21:27   #52
MD357

CHEAP!!! CHEAP????

Look at all the Gold Fools!!!

1911 Forums
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 21:28   #53
bac1023

I've seen that pic many times, but its still as shocking as the first time I laid eyes on it.

Its amazing to me what some people will spend money on.
Old 01-16-2010, 22:17   #54
doolyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Mine PT1911 had 200 or so rounds through it when the ambi safety fell off.

I don't hate them any more now than I did a year ago. However, when someone makes an idiotic comment about it being as good as a $2000+ 1911, I feel the need to respond in a strong fashion.

I've said many times that I thought the PT was overpriced and I've said many times that I thought RIA was a better quality gun and certainly a better value.
I had to go back and see who in the world would say the PT1911 was as good as a $2000 + 1911, yep they did.

I would agree with you on your assessment. My ambi safety did come apart but it happened when I was changing my grips. I put it back together and haven't had any issues with it for about 900 rounds although I know Taurus does have issues with them, easy to replace.

My only point is that I guess as long as a gun is accurate and reliable I don't consider it a piece of crap even if fit and finish isn't quite there, more finish since mine at least is pretty good fit wise.

We will see though how long it will last but thus far I think it is a good deal if you can find one for under $550 or even better if under $500.

Since they are pushing in some places over $600 I would rather save another 400 and get a Dan Wesson CBOB. Man is that pistol everything everyone has said.

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 22:24   #55
bac1023

Quote:
My only point is that I guess as long as a gun is accurate and reliable I don't consider it a piece of crap even if fit and finish isn't quite there, more finish since mine at least is pretty good fit wise.

Well, a $600 1911 with very poor fit and finish, cheaply done "features", and terrible customer service is junk in my book.

YMMV
Old 01-16-2010, 22:36   #56
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Well, a $600 1911 with very poor fit and finish, cheaply done "features", and terrible customer service is junk in my book.

YMMV
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-16-2010, 22:55   #57
GVFlyer

Quote:

I've seen that pic many times, but its still as shocking as the first time I laid eyes on it.

Its amazing to me what some people will spend money on.

Uhhh...

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 23:10   #58
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Uhhh...

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Yeah, I don't like them either, but at least they're quality guns underneath all that ugly bling.

Last edited by bac1023; 01-17-2010 at 09:42..
Old 01-16-2010, 23:28   #59
CAcop

The "custom parts" list is what hacks me off about the gun. When you sell a 1911 it is going to have certain parts on it. Like a grip safety. Now you can put a GI or beavertail grip safety on it. Both parts are probably going to cost you about the same. Maybe a little more for the beavertail because of a little bit more machining but not a whole lot more. Now Taurus seems to think if you put a beavertail safety on a gun it is suddenly as good as a Wilson.

They are overhyping it.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 23:38   #60
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
The "custom parts" list is what hacks me off about the gun. When you sell a 1911 it is going to have certain parts on it. Like a grip safety. Now you can put a GI or beavertail grip safety on it. Both parts are probably going to cost you about the same. Maybe a little more for the beavertail because of a little bit more machining but not a whole lot more. Now Taurus seems to think if you put a beavertail safety on a gun it is suddenly as good as a Wilson.

They are overhyping it.
Taurus preys on the ignorance of their customers.