Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2010, 18:20   #81
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Ok,....guess I've misunderstood.

So,....it's an UN-reliable PIG! Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Trouble with the ambi safety and complaints about the finish and the checkering are the standard. It's not often you hear of one not functioning well. I ran 1000 or so trouble free rounds through mine before selling it to a friend. I swapped out the ambi for a standard safety right away.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 19:46   #82
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
But yours seems to work just fine. How many rounds do you have downrange??
Back in the 80s when everyone was broke my dad drove a Chevy Citation. It was a piece of crap. Looked like hell(bad finish), was uncomfortable, full of rattles and squeeks(poor fitment), but it ran like a top. Would you rather have a citation or a caprice classic? Just because it was reliable doesnt change the fact that its a piece of crap.
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 20:20   #83
MD357

Quote:
Trouble with the ambi safety and complaints about the finish and the checkering are the standard. It's not often you hear of one not functioning well. I ran 1000 or so trouble free rounds through mine before selling it to a friend. I swapped out the ambi for a standard safety right away.
I've seen more ejectors sheared off on a Taurus than any other 1911 platform. One of our local smiths has fixed three of them. He's also had to replace that goofy hammer with the lawyer lock on one because it turned it into a single shot.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 20:25   #84
bac1023

Quote:
OK, but is that acceptable for a $600+ 1911, when you can get a $400 1911 that runs just as good without a safety problem?
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 20:52   #85
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
OK, but is that acceptable for a $600+ 1911, ?
hmm, I seem to remember a few posts back saying the PT was not a good value at the current higher price. I paid $418 for mine NIB, you??
Old 01-17-2010, 21:06   #86
bac1023

Quote:
hmm, I seem to remember a few posts back saying the PT was not a good value at the current higher price. I paid $418 for mine NIB, you??
$500

Frankly, I wouldn't like it at $400, however, it would be more inline with the quality you're getting.
Old 01-17-2010, 21:20   #87
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

...then why did you buy it?
Old 01-17-2010, 21:48   #88
bac1023

Quote:
...then why did you buy it?
To test it out.

I didn't have an opinion about it before I bought one.

I am a collector, after all.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13   #89
ithaca_deerslayer

I like this thread. I read it. And then I went out and bought a Taurus PT1911 ALR

And paid $800 for it too.

Why? I wasn't looking for a Taurus. Remember, I had read this thread. And had read others like it. And wasn't looking for aluminum. And wasn't looking for an ILS. And wasn't looking for a rail. And wasn't even asking to look at that particular 1911, as I was looking at the other brands.

But, I was in the gun shop, and the guy offered, so I picked it up, and worked the slide, and worked the safety, and worked the mag, and dry fired it, and held it, and felt the beaver tail, and felt the grip-safety surely depress. And thought about the flat grip. And looked at the sights.

And it all felt right. I shrugged my shoulders on the ILS. And I thought of uses for the rail. And I liked the light weight. And I liked the trigger. And I liked the way it aimed. And I liked all the checkering, front, back, and sides, and how it firmly held in my grip.

And it was a package, with 4 8-round mags, a kydex paddle holster, and a double mag holder. And I knew, no matter what I bought, I was going to get extra mags and a holster anyway, so I valued that stuff at $100. So I was looking at a $700 gun. I definitely liked the beaver tail and the 3 dot sights, and the checkering all the way around the grip, and I liked the flat grip.

I mentally searched my data banks, and couldn't see what comparable gun I could find, get shipped into NYS, with those features I liked, get the required test firing shells (which the gun dealer is required to send to NYS police in order to sell the gun), and get it all out the door for $700.

And I thought to mself, this gun, right now in my hand feels perfect! I liked it very much.

I also know that EVERY gun I've researched, I've found negative postings about it. About over paying for a name, about crap manufacturing, about crap parts, about crap safety designs, about broken this and broken that, about things falling off, about jamming, about not feeding certain kinds of ammo, etc. About crappy customer service. So, it seems no matter the brand, it is a crap shoot.

Now, the question will become, how does it shoot? How reliable is it? Will it feed all ammo? I can't answer those questions yet. I'll post a range report in a couple weeks.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-19-2010 at 09:19..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33   #90
doolyd

[QUOTE= get the required test firing shells (which the gun dealer is required to send to NYS police in order to sell the gun),[/QUOTE]

Wow that is scary.

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49   #91
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolyd View Post
Wow that is scary.
Yeah, but I can't be a criminal, so I follow the law. It made it difficult to buy a new Thompson Encore. I tried to get a few gun shops to order them. Some guys told me straight out, they wouldn't do it, because they or their dealers couldn't get them already NYS test fired. Some other gun shop strung me out for a freaking YEAR, and still no new Encore arrived.

So, when I found a used one in a shop, I got it. (Actually a Contender, but close enough).

NYSRPA says 0 crimes solved by NYS police fired shell casings database. None, over all they years they've been doing this.

So, in general, a handgun for sale in a NYS gunshop beats a handgun listed on a Kentucky website.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-19-2010 at 11:52..
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00   #92
PPP

Send a message via AIM to PPP
No dog in the race. I don't really care if you like the taurus or not just typing to provide my experience to those who are trying to gather info.

I do have a PT1911 that I picked up a couple of years ago for a little over 400. (Blued/Steel/No rail) It has never failed. Truthfully, I've only put a little more than 1,000 rounds through it so I guess something could go wrong. My friend has one that he competes with that has many more rounds through it with out a problem. As it is it shoots well. I have heard both "wonder stories" and "horror stories" about this gun. Traditionally I've not been a taurus fan. I question if perhaps quality control is the issue? Maybe there are both good ones and bad ones out there. I will say that I like mine and don't plan to get rid of it; though my local gun smith is getting rid of the hammer (replacing the hammer, sear, and springs) because I have never liked the lock.

I'm under no illusion that it competes with custom guns. I've shot very expensive 1911s and inexpensive 1911s like the RIA mentioned here. I wouldn't trade mine for a RIA (nothing against them).
PPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 19:24   #93
bac1023

Well, all I can say is good luck with it.

Hopefully, you got a good one and for that price, you better have.
Old 01-19-2010, 19:26   #94
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
for that price, id have gone with a SA Loaded. hope youre happy with it.
Old 01-19-2010, 20:49   #95
SouthpawShootr
NRA Life Member

I honestly hope it performs for you. I really do.

But my goodness..............$800?
SouthpawShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 20:57   #96
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
I would have gone Kimber Custom II or Smith SW1911.
Old 01-19-2010, 21:56   #97
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I would have gone Kimber Custom II or Smith SW1911.
i know Kimber Custom IIs are decent as well. it was my first 1911 but i had several problems with it and ive been shy of Kimber since, dumb i know but i love my Springfields.
Old 01-20-2010, 00:24   #98
MD357

Quote:
And paid $800 for it too.
For a Taurus?? Lemme guess..... there was 5 $100 bills stuffed in the chamber?
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13   #99
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
I don't think I could get a SA Loaded with 4 mags and a holster for $800. Do they have the front checkering on the grip? Pretty sure it doesn't have the rail. Don't think they are aluminum either.

It might be a better gun, I don't know. But I read of stuff falling off the SA Loaded. In fact, for any gun out there, I've read of the lemons. Probably the least lemon guns I know of by reputation are Glock (except 30SF and 36), and Beretta 92.

I've even talked to people who have had crap Colts, and would never buy another one. And people who's Kimbers spend more time back at the factory than in their hands.

Oh, I know for sure that based on internet reputation I'm taking a gamble with the Taurus. But if it works, it's got all the features (except for the ILS lock) that I like.

And if it doesn't work, the 2 most commonly reported problems are:
1. The safety falling off
2. The hammer locking up, or not working right, possibly due crap problems between the hammer and sear.

If either of those 2 problems happen, I won't send it back to the factory. Instead, I'll pay a gunsmith to put in a non-ambidextrous safety, and a non-ILS hammer with a new sear.

Other than those 2 issues, the vast majority of internet talk reports the Taurus as being very tight and accurate and reliable in feeding ammunition (some saying a problem with 8 round mags solved by loading only to 7). Some saying the gun doesn't feed some hollow points too well, but others saying it feeds anything. Everybody saying it feeds ball.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:38   #100
sns3guppy

As long as you're happy with the purchase, that's all that really counts.

Your comments, however, are rather remarkable. After all, one wouldn't buy an airplane knowing the wings have a reputation of falling off or failing...with the idea that if they do, you'll just get a mechanic to put on a better set. Never the less, you're willing to buy a firearm upon which your life might depend, and use the same rationale.

Whatever. Best of luck.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote