Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:54   #101
MD357

Quote:
I don't think I could get a SA Loaded with 4 mags and a holster for $800. Do they have the front checkering on the grip? Pretty sure it doesn't have the rail. Don't think they are aluminum either.
You could have gotten a loaded operator for $150ish more and had a SIGNIFICANTLY nicer gun with real night sights. Not to mention IF you did have a lemon SA would take care of you quick fast and in a hurrry.

If anything is out of spec on your Taurus, and they are well KNOWN for tolerance stacking gone bad, then you will be without your 1911 for quite some time. Surely if you've done your homework, you would have seen the horror stories of Taurus' customer service.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56   #102
Descendant

There are some very interesting comments in this thread. I say congrats on your 1911 given the difficulties of living in an unfriendly gun state.

Some people swear by their Kimber; but yet, I have read just as many negative comments about their reliability as I have Taurus 1911's. "My ***** 1911 was full of MIM, a jam-o-matic, will never own another one", etc. Insert your least favorite brand.

I am surprised how many people carry a Kimber for ccw when there are so many other options.

I had a Ford Ranger, it kept breaking. I'll never own another. I am very happy with my Tacoma. Same thing with guns. When you get a bad one it kind of sours you for life on that brand. YMMV.
Toyota Tacoma
Descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:08   #103
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
As long as you're happy with the purchase, that's all that really counts.

Your comments, however, are rather remarkable. After all, one wouldn't buy an airplane knowing the wings have a reputation of falling off or failing...with the idea that if they do, you'll just get a mechanic to put on a better set. Never the less, you're willing to buy a firearm upon which your life might depend, and use the same rationale.

Whatever. Best of luck.
Thanks

My carry guns are:
1. Glock 26 9mm
2. S&W 642 .38
3. Beretta 92FS 9mm

The 1911 is not likely to be my carry gun. It is also only my 29th gun. So, the 1911 platform was pretty low on my list of "needs" before I got around to buying one.

I just wanted to buy a 1911. If it seems reliable, I could potentially use it as a carry gun.

Aren't all ambidextrous safeties on all 1911s (regardless of brand) a potential weak point? I don't plan on it falling off, but if it did, I'd have it replaced with a non-ambidextrous safety.

The only real "problem" with the Taurus is the ILS hammer. If I don't carry it, then it doesn't matter. If it works well, then it doesn't matter. The Springfield has an ILS, and so does S&W. For my carry revolver, I jumped on a non-ILS S&W, because I prefer not to have ILS for a carry gun. But lots of people carry S&W with ILS. I've got another S&W that is ILS, but I've never had any problem with it.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:15   #104
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
You could have gotten a loaded operator for $150ish more and had a SIGNIFICANTLY nicer gun with real night sights. Not to mention IF you did have a lemon SA would take care of you quick fast and in a hurrry.

If anything is out of spec on your Taurus, and they are well KNOWN for tolerance stacking gone bad, then you will be without your 1911 for quite some time. Surely if you've done your homework, you would have seen the horror stories of Taurus' customer service.
It's always the case that if you spend a little more, you can get a little more. You have to draw the line somewhere. For another $150, I probably would have said, for another $150 I could have gotten a nice Colt in a format I liked.

I'm going into this well informed by the internet. But sometimes, you gotta go agaisnt the flow, against your internet peer pressure. There was a nice gun, in the package I liked, and I bought it.

I didn't say, "Gee, it's a Taurus, and my internet friends don't like Taurus, so I better by a similar priced 1911 without the features I like, or else spend more money to get a brand name they'd approve of."

Nope, instead, I bought it. And good or bad, I'll tell you how it goes
Old 01-20-2010, 12:25   #105
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descendant View Post
There are some very interesting comments in this thread. I say congrats on your 1911 given the difficulties of living in an unfriendly gun state.

Some people swear by their Kimber; but yet, I have read just as many negative comments about their reliability as I have Taurus 1911's. "My ***** 1911 was full of MIM, a jam-o-matic, will never own another one", etc. Insert your least favorite brand.

I am surprised how many people carry a Kimber for ccw when there are so many other options.

I had a Ford Ranger, it kept breaking. I'll never own another. I am very happy with my Tacoma. Same thing with guns. When you get a bad one it kind of sours you for life on that brand. YMMV.
It certainly is an interesting thread.

I'm not here to defend Taurus. I encouraged my wife to buy a Ruger .357 instead of a Taurus one. It cost more money, but I wanted her to have the best. Based on reputation and design, I think a Ruger revolver is better than Taurus.

Similar with 1911s, people have reasons for prefering Colt or Kimber or Springfield or Rock Island or Para or etc over Taurus. That's all fair.

For me, when I held the Taurus, it felt right. I don't need the gun, I just wanted it. So I bought it. If it turns out a good gun, I'll feel good about it. If it turns out a bad gun, then I'll either fix it right or get rid of it, and buy a different brand.

I'm not planning on it having problems. I'm just saying, if it does have problems then I'll address that.

But isn't it the same no matter the brand? If I spent more money on a comparable Colt or Springfield, what certainty do I have that it would work good? If I have to send something back to customer service, then I'm already dissapointed. Having good customer service for repairs shouldn't be a selling point. I don't want to have to ship a gun off anywhere.

After all, in the "best guns for under $1000" thread, some people have suggested the Taurus. They evidentally liked their's.
Old 01-20-2010, 23:54   #106
MD357

Quote:
It's always the case that if you spend a little more, you can get a little more. You have to draw the line somewhere. For another $150, I probably would have said, for another $150 I could have gotten a nice Colt in a format I liked.
It's really not that ambiguous. Basically some platforms are more overpriced than others.

Quote:
I'm going into this well informed by the internet. But sometimes, you gotta go agaisnt the flow, against your internet peer pressure. There was a nice gun, in the package I liked, and I bought it.
This really has nothing to do with internet peer pressure. Most people that have significant experience with 1911 learn the differences in quality, you can believe them or not. Now if this is your 29th handgun and you're not going to carry it etc.... you'll probably never notice. Most Taurus owners don't really shoot enough rounds to expose it from what I've seen.

Quote:
Having good customer service for repairs shouldn't be a selling point.
There's no logic in this statement. Would you buy a new car if you knew it to have bad warranty? Rather, It should be a selling point, and it is to most logical people. Every platform has problems due to humans being involved. Some more than others obviously. I mean do you want a company that will have the nuts to address and issue OR just kind of sweep it under the rug like Glock and issue free "upgrades."
Old 01-21-2010, 00:08   #107
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

After all, in the "best guns for under $1000" thread, some people have suggested the Taurus. They evidentally liked their's.

I hate to say it, but anyone who actually thinks the Taurus PT1911 is the best 1911 under $1000 has very little experience with the different 1911 models in that price range.

If someone REALLY loves the PT1911, I could see them saying its the best at $600, but the best under a grand sounds like lunacy. I'd be very curious to learn what experience those people had under their belt.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:37   #108
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
This really has nothing to do with internet peer pressure. Most people that have significant experience with 1911 learn the differences in quality, you can believe them or not. Now if this is your 29th handgun and you're not going to carry it etc.... you'll probably never notice. Most Taurus owners don't really shoot enough rounds to expose it from what I've seen.
I have no experience with the 1911. I've shot 2 of them a couple times, and that's it.

I'm probably dumb, and don't know anything about the internals of guns. On the external, the Taurus looks good, has nice features, feels good, points good.

Maybe the inside is all crap parts.

The "Taurus owners don't really shoot enough rounds to expose it" comment is interesting. How many rounds does it take to prove a gun? You are basically saying: Taurus is crap, and if a Taurus owner likes their gun then they just aren't shooting it enough to expose the crap.

Man, there is a lot of HATRED against Taurus in this thread. I'm buying the gun and giving it a chance.

Would it help to point out I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, too? They lost 4 super bowls. My other favorite team is the Vikings. They lost 4 super bowls, too.

Now do you see why I'm buying a Taurus? I fail to recognize quality and refuse to root for the Dallas Cowboys even when they are the better team
Old 01-21-2010, 08:40   #109
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I hate to say it, but anyone who actually thinks the Taurus PT1911 is the best 1911 under $1000 has very little experience with the different 1911 models in that price range.

If someone REALLY loves the PT1911, I could see them saying its the best at $600, but the best under a grand sounds like lunacy. I'd be very curious to learn what experience those people had under their belt.
Well, technically, I'm not sure if they thought it was the best under $1000, or under $850. I had started a thread asking about under $850, but then the moderator merged it in with the $1000 thread.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11   #110
mesteve2

I have had, owned high end 1911's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
I would take an RIA 1911 over taurus
The best is the RIA 1911's.

They just need some 8 round mags and are great to go.

State of Texas Master Peace Officer
State of Texas Private Security Officer Instructor
State of Texas Concealed Handgun License Instructor
mesteve2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:12   #111
bac1023

Quote:
Man, there is a lot of HATRED against Taurus in this thread.
Its not just this thread.

Taurus brings on these reactions themselves.

I'm not saying their designs or ideas are always bad. In fact, at times I give them kudos for bringing new ideas to the market, as goofy as some may be.

The main problems are their quality control and lack of customer service to back it up.

I hope you get a good one. If you do, you'll probably love it. If not, well, don't say we didn't warn you.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26   #112
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Its not just this thread.

Taurus brings on these reactions themselves.

I'm not saying their designs or ideas are always bad. In fact, at times I give them kudos for bringing new ideas to the market, as goofy as some may be.

The main problems are their quality control and lack of customer service to back it up.

I hope you get a good one. If you do, you'll probably love it. If not, well, don't say we didn't warn you.
Yes, I've been duly warned

But also, if I do get a good one, I will not jump on a Taurus bandwagon and say how great they are. I will however, just point out how mine works (or doesn't work), as well as point out that every brand has detractors.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:46   #113
bac1023

Quote:
Yes, I've been duly warned

But also, if I do get a good one, I will not jump on a Taurus bandwagon and say how great they are. I will however, just point out how mine works (or doesn't work), as well as point out that every brand has detractors.
Sounds like a plan.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:52   #114
sns3guppy

Quote:
How many rounds does it take to prove a gun?
A thousand trouble-free rounds is a good starting point.

Quote:
I'm going into this well informed by the internet.
Please tell me that was a joke.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:15   #115
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:

Please tell me that was a joke.
Why would it be a joke?

Many internet guys think the Taurus is crap. Some internet guys like their Taurus.

I've read all that, so I've been informed by the internet.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:49   #116
sns3guppy

Quote:
I'm going into this well informed by the internet.
Quote:
I've read all that, so I've been informed by the internet.
I can't think of much else that you could say that would be more embarassing to you.

Well informed by the internet is a little like being well trained by the Mrs. Simpson's Third Grade class, or well educated by Joe on sixth and main.

Well informed by the internet. Fantastic. At least you didn't set your sights too high.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 13:58   #117
MD357

Quote:
I have no experience with the 1911. I've shot 2 of them a couple times, and that's it.
This makes sense. Taurus targets newbies that just don't know any better. Hence their previous marketing ads of $2000 custom rolled into a $500 1911.

Quote:
The "Taurus owners don't really shoot enough rounds to expose it" comment is interesting. How many rounds does it take to prove a gun? You are basically saying: Taurus is crap, and if a Taurus owner likes their gun then they just aren't shooting it enough to expose the crap.
My comment stands that a lot of Taurus owners I have come in contact with personally, don't really shoot their guns. The platform itself is not well built to sustain a high round count, especially in terms of internals.

Quote:
Maybe the inside is all crap parts.
True. That and they can't fit a safety.

Quote:
Man, there is a lot of HATRED against Taurus in this thread. I'm buying the gun and giving it a chance.
Hate? Not really that emotional about it. I'm more interested in the facts. Rather, that I can take apart several guns in the $800 price range and show that they are a better built gun. Or even at $600 range.
Old 01-21-2010, 14:13   #118
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
I can't think of much else that you could say that would be more embarassing to you.

Well informed by the internet is a little like being well trained by the Mrs. Simpson's Third Grade class, or well educated by Joe on sixth and main.

Well informed by the internet. Fantastic. At least you didn't set your sights too high.
Why would it be embarassing?

I'm clearly saying I don't have experience with the 1911. All I know is what I've read and talked to others about. Much of that has been done through the internet. Some of it in person with gun club guys. Some of it with books off the internet. But still, most of it from the internet.

Where am I supposed to get the knowledge you value? By actually buying a 1911 and trying it? That's what I'm doing. I chose a Taurus to start with. It is less expensive than any other 1911s I've seen in gunshops, aside from the Rock Island base model.

I looked at and held the Rock Island, and I personally did not like it. Maybe it is a better gun, maybe the insides are quality, but I can't tell that. On the outside, it seemed like crap. The grip safety didn't fit me well, and didn't depress evenly. The grip itself is slippery. I didn't like the sights. I didn't like the trigger. Overall fit and finish seemed pretty rough. And this is based on looking at them at 2 different gunshops. They might be great guns, I don't know. But at $500 compared to the $700 for the Taurus, the Taurus seemed much better. I'm paying $800 overall but that includes the holster, mag holder, and 4 mags (which collectively I'm valuing at $100, and I would buy separately anyway for that much).

Edited to add:
I don't mean that I am well informed in general about the 1911. I'm not. Instead I meant that I'm informed to the extent that the internet can provide; that I've read a lot about these issues.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-21-2010 at 14:19..
Old 01-21-2010, 14:41   #119
doolyd

Quote:
My comment stands that a lot of Taurus owners I have come in contact with personally, don't really shoot their guns. The platform itself is not well built to sustain a high round count, especially in terms of internals.

True. That and they can't fit a safety.
That is just stupid.

1000 Round Torture Test with PT1911

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7HY...eature=related

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 15:16   #120
Ian

Just watching this video, and I have already lost count of the number of failures he has had
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote