SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2010, 16:33   #121
doolyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Just watching this video, and I have already lost count of the number of failures he has had
The malfunctions were caused by the reloads, they were hard primers, i guess a change in mainspring or primers would have fixed it.Tests were done in Iloilo, Philippines

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 16:36   #122
Ian

Thanks, I wasn't sure what was going on, as I don't have any sound.
Kind of weird testing with reloads.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 19:21   #123
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolyd View Post
The malfunctions were caused by the reloads, they were hard primers, i guess a change in mainspring or primers would have fixed it.Tests were done in Iloilo, Philippines
Sure they were. Those "hard primers" totally invalidate the test, IMO.
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 19:35   #124
doolyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Sure they were. Those "hard primers" totally invalidate the test, IMO.
I think the point is nothing really broke. Crappy safety didn't come apart, hammer didn't lock up and it ran 1000 rounds.

I have a feeling some of it was due to the shooter, you try holding that gun after a few hundred continuous rounds. That sucker was hot, you should see the pics of the blisters on his hand so I think trying to reload mags and what not was difficult and causing some of the failures (He is no Todd Jarrett)

Do I pay much merit on these "Torture Test" not really but the point is.... You guys said 1000 rounds so there you go.

Only issues were a little melting of the cheapo plastic grips.

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 21:40   #125
Brian Brazier

If you like it more power to you, I got one when they first came out, had nothing but issues, safety fell off, machine marks galore, everything was out of spec including all the cocking serrations being different depths, FTF's FTE's, ended up trading it in to the store I bought it from (they were well informed of the problems) for $250, best decision I ever made. There are plenty of good 1911's under $600 out there, but in my experience the Taurus ain't one of them.
Old 01-21-2010, 21:56   #126
Brian Brazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

Where am I supposed to get the knowledge you value? By actually buying a 1911 and trying it? That's what I'm doing. I chose a Taurus to start with. It is less expensive than any other 1911s I've seen in gunshops, aside from the Rock Island base model.

I looked at and held the Rock Island, and I personally did not like it. Maybe it is a better gun, maybe the insides are quality, but I can't tell that. On the outside, it seemed like crap. The grip safety didn't fit me well, and didn't depress evenly. The grip itself is slippery. I didn't like the sights. I didn't like the trigger. Overall fit and finish seemed pretty rough. And this is based on looking at them at 2 different gunshops. They might be great guns, I don't know. But at $500 compared to the $700 for the Taurus, the Taurus seemed much better. I'm paying $800 overall but that includes the holster, mag holder, and 4 mags (which collectively I'm valuing at $100, and I would buy separately anyway for that much).
There are allot of great choices under $600 that aren't Rock Island, Springfield Mil Spec and GI, Para GI Expert, Firestorm Dlx, Auto Ordnance, Norinco, Citadel, High Standard, I am sure there are more I just cant think of any off the top of my head. The thing about 1911's is, grips and sights are relatively easy changes so most buyers don't dwell on those things, quality and reliability is first and foremost, and IMO and from my experience the Taurus just doesn't stack up.
Old 01-21-2010, 22:24   #127
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
I think the point is nothing really broke. Crappy safety didn't come apart, hammer didn't lock up and it ran 1000 rounds.

I have a feeling some of it was due to the shooter, you try holding that gun after a few hundred continuous rounds. That sucker was hot, you should see the pics of the blisters on his hand so I think trying to reload mags and what not was difficult and causing some of the failures (He is no Todd Jarrett)

Do I pay much merit on these "Torture Test" not really but the point is.... You guys said 1000 rounds so there you go.

Only issues were a little melting of the cheapo plastic grips.
So, those of us who bought one, and had a POS opinions are trumped by a youtube vid? Come on, give me a break. When I bought my RIA I considered it my first 1911, didnt even count the taurus. But its nice to know thats all in my head because of this youtube video.
Old 01-21-2010, 22:55   #128
Makoman

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/32592

I would rather spend less and get a Springfield Milspec. Might not have all the bells and whistles but quality-wise it will be 10x better than a Taurus. For 50 or 60 bucks you can prolly get a drop in beavertial and extended thumb safety and it will only cost a few bucks more than that poor excuse for a 1911.
Walther Forum Member #55
Makoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 23:47   #129
sns3guppy

Quote:
1000 Round Torture Test with PT1911
A thousand rounds is a "torture test?" Funny.

If the firearm can't go a thousand rounds without a malfunction, then it's not worth table salt.

A thousand rounds isn't a "torture test." It's just getting warmed up.

Torture tests, incidentally, involve excessive shooting under demanding conditions, often with fouling or other challenging factors used to see how the weapon will handle water, snow, dirt, mud, grit, various ammunition, different shooting techniques or positions, etc. Simply shooting the weapon had better not be a torture test...especially just at a thousand rounds.

Torture test...nice try.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:36   #130
bac1023

This thread is a riot.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:15   #131
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

It's a

faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21   #132
Ian

Quote:
If the firearm can't go a thousand rounds without a malfunction, then it's not worth table salt.
I agree.
This test just proves this firearm is a POS!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 20:19   #133
M4J0R T0M

I've got one and I even like it. Got it after Christmas this year and fit and finish are very good. As good as any of the RIA's that I compared it to. Plus it does have some nice features. I guess I just got lucky and got a nice one. Mine has about 300-350 with no malfunctions right out of the box which is more than some of you can say about your "top shelf" 1911's. Not trying to start a war, just saying that my gun is reliable and put together well. I really like it for the price.

To answer the OP's question, be careful before you purchase one. It seems there are far more sub par examples then ones like mine.
Old 01-22-2010, 20:47   #134
JMag

I think it would just wear out quicker.

JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 00:09   #135
MD357

Quote:
That is just stupid.

1000 Round Torture Test with PT1911

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7HY...eature=related
It's not stupid it's experience. Anyone that thinks 1,000 is a lot.... doesn't shoot much. Do you know how many rounds the first 1911s went through in their "torture tests?" My points remain. In fact it's laughable to think that this proves anything. I'll betcha I could cherry pick a Hi-point to go 1K rounds too.

Last edited by MD357; 01-23-2010 at 00:11..
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:55   #136
PlasticGuy

Quote:
I think the point is nothing really broke. Crappy safety didn't come apart, hammer didn't lock up and it ran 1000 rounds...
So your big selling point on the Taurus is that the only thing wrong with it is that it had a whole lot of malfunctions? How is that a good thing?

And for the record, I had a Taurus 1911 ILS fail and tie up the gun in my hands. I wasn't even shooting it at the time, but just cycling the action. It's no rumor.
Old 01-23-2010, 14:03   #137
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
So your big selling point on the Taurus is that the only thing wrong with it is that it had a whole lot of malfunctions? How is that a good thing?

And for the record, I had a Taurus 1911 ILS fail and tie up the gun in my hands. I wasn't even shooting it at the time, but just cycling the action. It's no rumor.
Impossible. That 1000 round(910 if you account for the MALFUNCTIONS) proved that all personal experiences related on the web are simply people spreading rumors malicously.
Old 01-23-2010, 14:54   #138
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Here's something I just thought about.

Is it really smart to trust your families lives to the lowest bidder?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:11   #139
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Here's something I just thought about.

Is it really smart to trust your families lives to the lowest bidder?

Isn't that what the government, and therefore the US Army, does all the time?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 18:58   #140
SouthpawShootr
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Isn't that what the government, and therefore the US Army, does all the time?
Yeah, but the specifications in the RFPs usually insures the equipment will be decent, although I'm sure there have been exceptions.
SouthpawShootr is offline   Reply With Quote