Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:24   #141
sns3guppy

The Taurus 1911 will never be submitted for, and could never pass a military trial for reliability, nor is it milspec quality.

The Taurus 1911 won't get issues, sold to, or carried by our troops.

And no...the military does not buy from the lowest bidder. Bid is based on value, not necessarily price.

In that context, the Taurus certainly doesn't cut it.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:52   #142
doolyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
It's not stupid it's experience. Anyone that thinks 1,000 is a lot.... doesn't shoot much. Do you know how many rounds the first 1911s went through in their "torture tests?" My points remain. In fact it's laughable to think that this proves anything. I'll betcha I could cherry pick a Hi-point to go 1K rounds too.
I think a thousand rounds at one time is a lot. If you don't think so please go out and try it.

When you post Todd Jarrett doing it with a Para everyone says Wow cool, when it is a Taurus, man that thing is junk.

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:57   #143
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Just watching this video, and I have already lost count of the number of failures he has had
Hard primers or not Todd Jarret did the same test with a Para and I can't remember any failures. And you know how people like to trash Para.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 13:15   #144
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolyd View Post
I think a thousand rounds at one time is a lot. If you don't think so please go out and try it.

When you post Todd Jarrett doing it with a Para everyone says Wow cool, when it is a Taurus, man that thing is junk.
Typically, the idea is to see if it can get through without parts breakage and with few or no malfunctions. It's not that there should have been more rounds fired, but that there were so many malfunctions that I got tired of counting. Blame it on ammo, mags, or little blue fairies, but the fact remains that the Taurus failed the test miserably.

Not so much when Jarrett did it.
Old 01-26-2010, 14:06   #145
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Wow,......could this thread surpass the "cardboard box" thread?!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 14:51   #146
doolyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
Typically, the idea is to see if it can get through without parts breakage and with few or no malfunctions. It's not that there should have been more rounds fired, but that there were so many malfunctions that I got tired of counting. Blame it on ammo, mags, or little blue fairies, but the fact remains that the Taurus failed the test miserably.

Not so much when Jarrett did it.
I guess we saw the same video but have two different perspectives.

Someone said they counted 10 malfunctions, out of 1000.

So by your definition, few malfunctions = PASS
No Breakage = PASS.

I don't see how you can say if failed miserably.

And I think if Jarrett did it there would probably be zero malfunctions....he is GOD isn't he?

“Benjamin Franklin."
Old 01-26-2010, 14:52   #147
MD357

Quote:

What does 1000 rounds in one sitting prove relative to 20-30K rounds over a period of time. These guns aren't built to last, which is my whole point, then again, most Taurus owners won't notice as they generally aren't used for anything remotely serious.

Paras aren't built much better. Too many proprietary issues.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 14:55   #148
doolyd

Quote:
What does 1000 rounds in one sitting prove relative to 20-30K rounds over a period of time. These guns aren't built to last, which is my whole point. Paras aren't built much better. Too many proprietary issues.

I believe it was a comment about having about 500 rounds through a gun to call it trust worthy? Can't recall.

Please tell me why these aren't built to last? Is it because of the MIM, oh tell me your not one of them guys.

“Benjamin Franklin."
Old 01-26-2010, 15:29   #149
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
What does 1000 rounds in one sitting prove relative to 20-30K rounds over a period of time. These guns aren't built to last, which is my whole point, then again, most Taurus owners won't notice as they generally aren't used for anything remotely serious.

Paras aren't built much better. Too many proprietary issues.
What is "serious" use of a gun?

If someone buys a gun, and tests 500 rounds through it, then carries it, and practises 150 rounds a year thereafter, isn't that serious?

The "serious" use would be the carry for self-defense. After 10 years, the gun would have 2,000 rounds.

Or are you talking about participating in a lot of shooting games as being "serious" use?

I don't know if the Taurus will hold up to 2,000 rounds or 2,000,000. But either way, what defines serious use?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 16:23   #150
doolyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

If someone buys a gun, and tests 500 rounds through it, then carries it, and practises 150 rounds a year thereafter, isn't that serious?

The "serious" use would be the carry for self-defense. After 10 years, the gun would have 2,000 rounds.

Or are you talking about participating in a lot of shooting games as being "serious" use?

I don't know if the Taurus will hold up to 2,000 rounds or 2,000,000. But either way, what defines serious use?

“Benjamin Franklin."
Old 01-26-2010, 16:36   #151
the swamp fox

Quote:

Self defense is indeed serious use.....not a bunch of goobs in Ralp Lauren shirts dinging paper and plates with the latest "my di$* is bigger than yours" brand. Just my HO.....

The Swamp Fox
the swamp fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 16:42   #152
cigarlover

HA-HA-HA

You poor ignorant slugs make me laugh. Stroll to a SA, Kimber, or Colt forum or any other mass produced custom 1911's. All have some guy with a new pistol that never made it to 1,000 rounds or even 3 without a malfunction. So I guess that makes all you guys A-Holes because you own a custom 1911 that couldn't pass a 1000 round test ? Any one can make a lemon. There is always the unlucky few that get a bad firearm from many a manufacturer. From HK to even our beloved Glock. Seen both fail during competitions by the way...

Now go run and tell that....
cigarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 17:45   #153
the swamp fox

[Good postquote=cigarlover;14626062]HA-HA-HA

You poor ignorant slugs make me laugh. Stroll to a SA, Kimber, or Colt forum or any other mass produced custom 1911's. All have some guy with a new pistol that never made it to 1,000 rounds or even 3 without a malfunction. So I guess that makes all you guys A-Holes because you own a custom 1911 that couldn't pass a 1000 round test ? Any one can make a lemon. There is always the unlucky few that get a bad firearm from many a manufacturer. From HK to even our beloved Glock. Seen both fail during competitions by the way...

Now go run and tell that....[/quote]
the swamp fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 18:00   #154
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Right in the junk,...... good shot 'swamp fox!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 18:40   #155
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Wow,......could this thread surpass the "cardboard box" thread?!
Its got a long ways to go.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 00:18   #156
PlasticGuy

Quote:

No Breakage = PASS.

I don't see how you can say if failed miserably...
It seemed like more than 10, but let's say it was because I don't feel like watching it again. That would be an average of one malfunction every 100 rounds. Yes, that's a fail for a combat handgun.
Old 01-27-2010, 00:45   #157
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
These guns aren't built to last, which is my whole point, then again, most Taurus owners won't notice as they generally aren't used for anything remotely serious.
...more condescending 1911 snob drivel. How would you know they are not 'built to last'!
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:00   #158
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:

Quote:

No Breakage = PASS.

I don't see how you can say if failed miserably.

And I think if Jarrett did it there would probably be zero malfunctions....he is GOD isn't he?
Quote:
I believe it was a comment about having about 500 rounds through a gun to call it trust worthy? Can't recall.

Please tell me why these aren't built to last? Is it because of the MIM, oh tell me your not one of them guys.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarlover View Post
HA-HA-HA

Now go run and tell that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
...more condescending 1911 snob drivel. How would you know they are not 'built to last'!
Some of you guys are funny, thats for sure.

Cigarlover, anyone can make a bad product, Taurus has perfected making a bad product. Then providing crappy support for it. Taurus could make the best gun in the world that makes its own ammunition from depleted uranium and could then sell it for 50 dollars and it could be the best product in the world. I would never know though, cause they have already screwed me once and will never see another dime of my momey

Flipper, whats condescending about not wanting to overpay for a low quality 1911? I own a RIA now and I consider it a way better gun than the taurus 1911 that i owned first. If taurus could learn how to make a reliable gun and procide something approaching semi decent customer service, then they might come close to being worth what they are getting for them now.

Im real sorry that some of you guys are getting defensive because you bought a low budget 1911 that advertised itself as a 2000 dollar custom, but get over it. Dont come here and try to blow smoke up the asses of people that know better. You can call a turd a diamond all day long, it wont make it shine any better.

ETA: I went ahead and watched the video again and counted 8 malfunctions(i may have missed one or double counted one, it was pretty boring) in the first half of the torture test (video one). Hard primers? The guy said they were using CCI, same as many of us do, and never have a problem. I even use them in revolvers with light springs. It looks like the hammer was following to the half cock position when it was malfunctioning. Surely not, as we all know there have been NO complaints about the hammers on these, right?

Last edited by ilgunguygt; 01-27-2010 at 01:13..
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:10   #159
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
I have done that MANY times. That is a really big training day or a day that my carry or duty gun gets approval.

Any gun that won't go a grand in a row without a malfunction is a POS.
HAIL CAESAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:33   #160
doolyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
I have done that MANY times. That is a really big training day or a day that my carry or duty gun gets approval.

Any gun that won't go a grand in a row without a malfunction is a POS.
I didn't mean a thousand rounds in a "big training day" I meant a thousand rounds as fast as you can shoot them. Imagine that gun getting smoking hot and trying to hold it without limp-wristing or loaded each magazine completely and see if you have any malfunctions, big man.

“Benjamin Franklin."