SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2010, 20:01   #1
FailedAngrMgmt

new G22 w/TLR-1 issues

Hi,

I bought a new Glock 22 about a month ago, have shot about 450 rounds through it so far. And im getting FTF problems, more then I feel comfortable with carrying it as a duty weapon. I have a new Streamlight TLR-1 installed. All the mags are brand new factory mags. I had very high hopes for Glock to be my duty weapon, thousands of departments around the world use this gun.

For example, today, I went shooting at the range for the sole purpose of testing out the reliability of the gun because i dont know if i trust it yet, I already know its accurate and very easy to shoot, I just wanted to see if it would jam. I shot 200 rounds of Federal American Eagle ammo, had 3 FTF. The gun ejects the spend casing, but completely failed to insert a new round into the breach all 3 times. The slide looks like its locked back as if I have fired the last round out of the mag, but I'm pretty sure its resting on the round caught between the breach and the slide.

Last week I had to qualify at my departments range so I can carry the weapon on duty, It was a 50 round course. I was shooting Winchester range FMJs. In the middle of the qualification, I had a round jam going into the breach, I think it might have been a double feed, I didn't have much time to study it as I was in the middle of a cycle where the target flips to the side. I went to tap and rack to clear the round, and it wouldn't eject, I racked about 3 more times and it was stuck, I then released the mag and turned the gun so the magwell was pointing up and started racking again and it fell out, it was a unfired bullet, not a empty casing. Loaded a new mag and continued. Luckily I was able to do it and still fire within the allotted time so i was not disqualified and have to start over again. This qualification was the first time shooting with the tac light on the gun.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm close to just throwing in the towel and going to buy a different gun. I know the tac light may be the issue, but to me that is unacceptable. The gun has a light rail, I should be able to use it and not have any second guesses in the back of my mind when I carry it on duty. Thanks.

Last edited by FailedAngrMgmt; 01-05-2010 at 20:03..
FailedAngrMgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 20:24   #2
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Slide locks back with rounds in the magazine-sometimes fired cartridge stays in slide-I've had that problem with my G22

IT WAS ME-thumb was touching the slide release(not extended crap-factory)and maybe the slide?
I bent the tab so it was closer to the frame and better protected(in it's little bucket) from my repeat offender thumb

No problem since

Something to think about

Last edited by Steel Head; 01-05-2010 at 20:33..
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 20:27   #3
2nd2none

I am sure it is the Tac light. For some reason this is an epidemic with G22's. If you read the TLR-1 instructions there is a warning on there about G-22's and the light, Streamlight says it's mag. issues, I have no clue what the issue is. I hope someone here can help. You should call Glock and see what they say. I wish I could pick my duty pistol, we are issued G37's, which is fine, but it's not what I would pick.

Last edited by 2nd2none; 01-05-2010 at 20:29..
2nd2none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 20:30   #4
G-31
.357 Sig

Yeah, there's something going on with G22's and tac lights. I can't tell you why but those Streamlights are nice so be sure to hang on to it.
Sig Sauer Club #108, Top Guns .357 Sig #109,
Heckler & Koch Club #110
G-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 20:36   #5
2nd2none

It's not specifically the TLR-1, any tac light has the potential to screw with the G22. I think it has something to do with the slide losing velocity due to the tac light, and/or the mag spring not being strong enough...

Last edited by 2nd2none; 01-05-2010 at 20:39..
2nd2none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:57   #6
cdog533
Zombie Killer

What about going to the smaller G3?

Or installing a higher-powered recoil spring? If one's available....
cdog533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:28   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

The metal frame, screw retention lights seem toi cause the MOST trouble.
I have shot a G22 with a Glock light and a Viridian light/laser, never any issues.
I installed a TLR-1 on the same G22 and had four FTF in 200 rounds.
Remember, this same G22 was flawless with a Glock light installed.

So,....that "upgrade" I did by replacing the Glock light to a TLR-1 was
a waste. Sold the TLR-1 and bought a new GTL-10.

I'm not saying thr Glock light is better than the TLR-1, but for my
home use, a Glock light, causes NO MALFUNCTIONS.

Works for me,.................
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:33   #8
m4arc

Like the others have said this is a known issue with the G22 and tactical lights. Does it run 100% without a light attached? You could make sure you have the latest/greatest followers and run some Wolff extra power mag springs.

My suggestion is to call Glock on Monday morning and discuss the issue with them and see what they have to say. (770) 432-1202 x365
Old 01-10-2010, 07:38   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Glock's fix is the following magazine upgrades:

A "2" marked mag body
A 11 coil mag spring
A #8 mag follower.

A recoil spring will not fix the problem. The harmonics transfered from the
light on the frame and into the magazine if the problem.

My concern would be when the spring weakens, the problem will come back.
My suggestion, replace the light with a clip on style, or learn to use a hand held flashlight.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:56   #10
DannyR

The best light is a hand held Surefire. Aside from that, I've never experienced a problem using a Glock light on my G37.

Perhaps instead of blaming the pistol, try blaming the light.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 16:12   #11
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
...Perhaps instead of blaming the pistol, try blaming the light.
Yep,.......
Kinda funny how the paperwork with the TLR-1 tells you about the issue.
Old 01-10-2010, 21:49   #12
top glock

I bought a new G-22. Its a law enforcment gun, or so the sticker says on the top and side of the box. I put the TLR-1 on it and it jams. I have tried the wolf 10+ power springs. That did nothing I say its the gun. the only gun that has the problem is the .40 cal. I wish glock would have fixed it. I love my G-22, but I dont know how I can live with out the TLR-1.
top glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:56   #13
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

First off,..... to GlockTalk, Topglock!

Many people wish this could get fixed.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:15   #14
bronco1500

My department had similar problems. We did more research and discovered how common the problem is.

Quote:
Glock's fix is the following magazine upgrades:

A "2" marked mag body
A 11 coil mag spring
A #8 mag follower.
We did all of this and still one jam is too much. We changed from the sure fire to the tlr1 and added heavy slide springs along with the above mentioned fixes. This fixed it for us ...but...not for everybody in every dept.

This seems to be specific to the .40 glocks and the recoil impulse spike. The 9mm and 45 are a slower "push" like recoil and do not suffer from this problem. Several agencies have traded their g22's in for g17's for this very reason.

The frame on a glock flexes and bends during recoil. Check the video below. When you strap a rigid un-flexible light onto a frame that was designed to bend it causes some problems. If you remember the original glocks did not have slide rails for lights. They were added on later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ToCK4C7ig
Old 01-11-2010, 21:06   #15
GearGuru

We've been shooting G35's for years with M-3 then X200 then TLR1's without narry a hiccup. We started with 22's and had few issues, we regularly replaced mag springs with wolf +10% and we used new standard Glock recoil spring replaced every year, but then we shot A LOT with those guns. I don't recall any issues with our early 22's and I definitely know we didn't have problems with the 35's. I have heard others with issues, but our 20 man team was good to go????????
GearGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 22:30   #16
top glock

I want to try one last attempt, before I git rid of my glock. Does the aftermarket mag followers help ? has anybody tried these ? Thanks for the feed back
Old 01-13-2010, 16:36   #17
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Across 32 22's and 23's, we have yet to have any issues from the use of M3, M3X, or TLR-1's. From your post, it is unclear whether your problems are related to the light. If you are sure that they are, contact Glock. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedAngrMgmt View Post
Hi,

I bought a new Glock 22 about a month ago, have shot about 450 rounds through it so far. And im getting FTF problems, more then I feel comfortable with carrying it as a duty weapon. I have a new Streamlight TLR-1 installed. All the mags are brand new factory mags. I had very high hopes for Glock to be my duty weapon, thousands of departments around the world use this gun. From your post, it is not at all clear that the light itself is causing the problem, but if you think it is, contact Glock.

For example, today, I went shooting at the range for the sole purpose of testing out the reliability of the gun because i dont know if i trust it yet, I already know its accurate and very easy to shoot, I just wanted to see if it would jam. I shot 200 rounds of Federal American Eagle ammo, had 3 FTF. The gun ejects the spend casing, but completely failed to insert a new round into the breach all 3 times. The slide looks like its locked back as if I have fired the last round out of the mag, but I'm pretty sure its resting on the round caught between the breach and the slide.

Last week I had to qualify at my departments range so I can carry the weapon on duty, It was a 50 round course. I was shooting Winchester range FMJs. In the middle of the qualification, I had a round jam going into the breach, I think it might have been a double feed, I didn't have much time to study it as I was in the middle of a cycle where the target flips to the side. I went to tap and rack to clear the round, and it wouldn't eject, I racked about 3 more times and it was stuck, I then released the mag and turned the gun so the magwell was pointing up and started racking again and it fell out, it was a unfired bullet, not a empty casing. Loaded a new mag and continued. Luckily I was able to do it and still fire within the allotted time so i was not disqualified and have to start over again. This qualification was the first time shooting with the tac light on the gun.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm close to just throwing in the towel and going to buy a different gun. I know the tac light may be the issue, but to me that is unacceptable. The gun has a light rail, I should be able to use it and not have any second guesses in the back of my mind when I carry it on duty. Thanks.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 19:41   #18
RayB
Retired Member

I would recommend that you put tape on all the magazines, and mark the tape with a pen every time there's a FTF event.

We did this with Judy's new G19/LaserMax/SureFire X200B rig, and lo and behold, all the marks were on one magazine! Go figure!

We exchanged that magazine, and that was that--no further problems.

I will note that of the weapon & light problems I've read about, most have been with the G22/G23, .40 S&W models. Just an observation...

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 22:52   #19
top glock

OK, I want to try a test. How low can you go on the recoil spring ? In ibs, I shoot 180 grain fed FMJ.
Old 01-14-2010, 13:26   #20
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now

I wanted my G22 to work with a TLR-2, but have given up.

Got new mags with the latest followers, recoil spring has a few hundred rounds on it. Bone stock gun other than that.

I have several Glocks, even the infamous 36, and have never had issues with them

Never had a problem with this gun before the TLR. I've been to the range with the light on 3 times and run 150-200 rounds through the gun with no issues the first 2 times. Then the 3rd time wasn't a charm. Shot one mag full with no issues. On second mag at shot 4 the slide stayed to the rear. The next round in the mag had nosedived into the front of the mag and the pick up rail had jammed it in there pretty tight. I had to pull the slide to the rear and lock it back and remove the mag to clear the jam. The round jumped right up when the tension was removed. Packed the gun up, disgusted and shot something else.

I have lost all confidence in the G22 with a light mounted. I will try it on my 34.

The recent release of the 22 Gen4 with the dual recoil spring, suggests there is a bigger issue than mags here.

Think I will wait to see what they do with the G35 before I try a light another Glock 40.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member

Last edited by ipscshooter; 01-14-2010 at 13:36..
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote