Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:23   #1
OUSooner

Glock factory night sights

They are pretty good. Who makes them?
OUSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:27   #2
JonInWA

Glock makes the metal sight casings for the front and rear sights (they're tennifer treated), and Meprolite the tritium vials. Glock nightsights are warranted for 15 years.

Best, Jon
Old 01-10-2010, 10:54   #3
2nd2none

I think there is a controversy, on the sights being tennifer. I don't think they are as do many others. As Jon said the vials are made by Meprolite etc. I like them better then my old Meps and probably the current ones. The Meps front sight is too wide, Glocks is more narrow then the Meps brand but wider then the Trijicons. The thing I don't like is that the Glock night sights is that the front sight is the pressed in kind there is no nut. So if your putting them in yourself(not you in general) they won't be as secure by pressing in the front sight manually then how the factory does it. I don't have any experience in this matter of putting in GNS so I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.
The GNS is a great budget set of night sights if your getting them installed from the factory.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:58   #4
Hound_dogs_01

For $57 you CANNOT beat the factory night sights. I love mine!!! brightest I've ever seen!

Alex
Old 01-10-2010, 11:02   #5
2nd2none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound_dogs_01 View Post
For $57 you CANNOT beat the factory night sights. I love mine!!! brightest I've ever seen!
Alex
Did you put yours in yourself? If so how well is the front sight? I am very curious, I thought about getting them but just spent an extra $25 and went with Ameriglos
Old 01-10-2010, 11:19   #6
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I like my Trijicons the best but the factory night sights aren't bad at all. I'm yet to see any other brand of night sights that are as bright or brighter than Trijicon.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:02   #7
ScrapMetal

I'm very happy that I got my G27 with factory night sights....no complaints at all, very bright for me at least.
ScrapMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:42   #8
Hound_dogs_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd2none View Post
Did you put yours in yourself? If so how well is the front sight? I am very curious, I thought about getting them but just spent an extra $25 and went with Ameriglos

No ed's public saftey put them on in Stockbridge, GA.

I have no idea what you are asking about the front sight....

Alex
Old 01-10-2010, 12:50   #9
OUSooner

Thanks for the input and replies guys.

On the front sight though, I just bought a nib G17 with Glock night sights and my front sight has a nut on the bottom and a screw going all the way through the front sight. Maybe they changed them?
OUSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:57   #10
OMEGA5

I like the Glock Night Sights on my m36 but the TuGlo Tritiam
Fiber Optics on my m31 are much better due to the brightness of daylight
shooting as well as being brighter at night. But, like the man said, for $57
bucks, you can't beat them.
Dano
OMEGA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 17:41   #11
2nd2none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound_dogs_01 View Post
No ed's public saftey put them on in Stockbridge, GA.

I have no idea what you are asking about the front sight....
Alex
I couldn't think of the word before, but the front sight has to be staked in. I heard when you stake it in by hand with the Glock tool it doesn't do as good of a job compared to when it comes from the factory. Because when doing it by hand the front sight may come loose after awhile due to it not being staked in very well. I was wondering if there was any truth to this or not, so I was asking if your front sight is nice and tight etc...
Old 01-11-2010, 07:07   #12
JonInWA

2nd2None (and others)-as stated on pg 7 of the Glock Armorer's Manual (and by my Armorer's Course instructor), Glock-branded metal sights are Tennifer treated-both their tritium and steel non-tritium sight bodies.

According to the current Armorer's Manual, all currrent Glock front sights are to be screw-on (including the polymer ones).

Best, Jon
Old 01-11-2010, 07:21   #13
itsveryniiice

15 years?!?! NIIIICE! Im stoked mine are going to last that long, glad I paid the extra $25 (used, made in 09). If their tenifer coated it sure wore off quick compared with how long that crap stays on the slide
itsveryniiice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47   #14
2nd2none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
2nd2None (and others)-as stated on pg 7 of the Glock Armorer's Manual (and by my Armorer's Course instructor), Glock-branded metal sights are Tennifer treated-both their tritium and steel non-tritium sight bodies.

According to the current Armorer's Manual, all currrent Glock front sights are to be screw-on (including the polymer ones).

Best, Jon
This is good news, I am glad to hear Glock is ditching the staked on front sight. Some GT members need to get their stories straight then about the Tennifer finished sights, some even armorers go back and forth on this matter... Thanks for the info Jon
Old 01-11-2010, 09:07   #15
JonInWA

Itsveryniiice, the tennifer is a treatment that penetrates into the metal surface-it's colorless itself. The black wearing off is the final black oxide finish. It's the tennifer that provides the essential anti-corrosive properties to the steel.

Best, Jon
Old 01-12-2010, 08:15   #16
2ninersavo

Quote:
This is good news, I am glad to hear Glock is ditching the staked on front sight. Some GT members need to get their stories straight then about the Tennifer finished sights, some even armorers go back and forth on this matter... Thanks for the info Jon
Three days ago Glock told me that the night sights are screw on and the steel sights that are in stock are all stake/crimp/non screw on. So it may take some time for the old stock to be depleted.
2ninersavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42   #17
JonInWA

That doesn't particularly surprise me, 2ninersavo. It makes sense for them to deplete their existing stocks. The part about the steel sights is interesting, though. There are actually two sets of steel (non-tritium) front sights that have been available from Glock Parts-a proprietiary Glock-labeled sight, identical to their tritium front sight, and one sold uniquely through Glock, but actually made for them by Trijicon-it was a screw-on, and identical in shape profile to the ziggurat-shaped polymer front sight; it (unfortunately) is not in the current Parts Suppliment to the US Armorers Manual.

What I've discerned through the years is that if a front sight was available in both screw-on and crimp-on varients, Glock tended to use the crimp-on ones as OEM sights (I believe that they're easier to install on a production line, and Glock's installation equipment is sufficient to provide a relatively durable attachment), and provide the screw-on varient for after-market sales. I've observed this approach personally regarding the Trijicon sights provided as optional OEM sights and aftermarket sights from Glock Parts.

Best, Jon
Old 01-12-2010, 16:50   #18
Flipz

It is true that Glock is using a screw on front sight now, thats what mine came with and they were just the standard non-tritium sights. I replaced them with Ameriglo Pro Operators, Green front, yellow rear. Love the Ameriglo's.

And yes, Meprolite makes the tritium vials for the Glock NS's.

When it comes to brightness, tritium is tritium, all NS's with tritium should be just about the same brightness as long as they were produced within the same period of time.
GSSF Member
Hornady LnL AP, 9mm & 45ACP
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 17:06   #19
RayB
Retired Member

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken to avoid harsh solvents when cleaning, as the white o-rings are painted on.

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 17:22   #20
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipz View Post
It is true that Glock is using a screw on front sight now, thats what mine came with and they were just the standard non-tritium sights. I replaced them with Ameriglo Pro Operators, Green front, yellow rear. Love the Ameriglo's.

And yes, Meprolite makes the tritium vials for the Glock NS's.

When it comes to brightness, tritium is tritium, all NS's with tritium should be just about the same brightness as long as they were produced within the same period of time.

In a communiqué to me from an Israeli Meprolight rep, he wrote this, in part...

Quote:
Meprolight is the largest OEM Manufacture in the world. We manufacture sights for GLOCK, Heckler & Koch, SigSauer, CZ, Kahr, Kimber, Remington, Mosberg and other fine manufacturers.

Meprolight manufactures the illumination insert. Trijicon imports a ready made insert.

Meprolight’s in-house produced illumination insert utilizes a white sleeve providing better reflection than Trijicon’s aluminum sleeve to amplify light intensity.

Internal surface of the light cavities is painted white to eliminate light loss and intensify reflected light.

The end result – the Meprolight sight is a brighter sight.
Note: Meps are designed so that the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight does.

--Ray
Old 01-12-2010, 17:58   #21
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Thanks for the info RayB!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07   #22
JonInWA

Unless things have recently changed, I believe that Trijicon provides SIG-Sauer with the tritium vials for their SIGLITE nightsights.

Best, Jon
Old 01-13-2010, 08:48   #23
2nd2none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Note: Meps are designed so that the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight does.
--Ray
I wish my Glock night sights on my duty G37 would, the front sight is/does not appear brighter on my G37 nor does it on any other co workers G37. The front tritium even looks as if it is almost angled down towards the slide a little bit. When I am aiming I can see the tritium vial is not centered either... It is from left to right but not up and down...
And my Meps on my G27 did not appear to be any different to me(thou they were made 9+ years ago,which I just replaced with Ameriglo Op sights Green/Yellow)...
Old 01-13-2010, 17:04   #24
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
Unless things have recently changed, I believe that Trijicon provides SIG-Sauer with the tritium vials for their SIGLITE nightsights.

Best, Jon

Huh. I can't answer to that. I only know what the man wrote...

I do know the Sig Equinox models use a TFO front sight, which also has a Trijicon lamp.

--Ray
Old 01-13-2010, 17:23   #25
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
I wish my Glock night sights on my duty G37 would, the front sight is/does not appear brighter on my G37 nor does it on any other co workers G37. The front tritium even looks as if it is almost angled down towards the slide a little bit. When I am aiming I can see the tritium vial is not centered either... It is from left to right but not up and down...
And my Meps on my G27 did not appear to be any different to me(thou they were made 9+ years ago,which I just replaced with Ameriglo Op sights Green/Yellow)...

I don't doubt your observations, and I did read of some funky Glock Night Sights a while back...

The front sight lamp on my G21, equipped with Glock Night Sights, is clearly brighter than the rear sight's lamps. This is consistent with some of Meprolight's advertising:

"Additionally, all Meprolight front dots are purposely brighter than the rear dots, encouraging a focus on the front sight and beyond."

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1240

--Ray