Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:01   #1
Sandlapper77

Federal 9mm 95 grain JSP

Does anyone have any info on this load? My friend came across some locally and I will probably pick up a box or two. Advertised velocity is 1300 fps IIRC.

I've never heard of a jacketed soft point in 9mm before. Any guess on how it performs?
Sandlapper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20   #2
glock20c10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper77 View Post
Does anyone have any info on this load? My friend came across some locally and I will probably pick up a box or two. Advertised velocity is 1300 fps IIRC.

I've never heard of a jacketed soft point in 9mm before. Any guess on how it performs?
Unless you simply want about the shallowest penetration depth possible from a 9mm, I wouldn't suggest it. If you're simply buying it for plinking or vermin then fine, but there are simply much much much better choices available for self defense.

If the 1300fps number is correct, it's loaded on the light side. Therefore recoil is probably pretty soft even for a 9mm. You can get 1350fps from a 115gr bullet all day long. IIRC, even the Winchester 127gr +P+ does 1250fps.

Good Shooting,
Craig

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 17:11   #3
Sandlapper77

Thanks for the reply! I'm not thinking of carrying it for defensive purposes- I'm really interested in just plinking with it in my G19 or CX4.

I was mainly wondering how effective a JSP is in a handgun round would be. Does a pistol bullet travel fast enough or have enough energy to expand a JSP?
Sandlapper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 18:30   #4
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Illinois State Police at one time issued the Federal 95JSP dubbed the "dishpoint". Supposedly it got some expansion in actual shootings.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 20:25   #5
unit1069

I have been curious about JSP rounds, but after reading this thread I think maybe not.
Old 01-13-2010, 21:05   #6
glock20c10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper77 View Post
I was mainly wondering how effective a JSP is in a handgun round would be. Does a pistol bullet travel fast enough or have enough energy to expand a JSP?
It all depends. When these ammo companies design a bullet they generally start out with expectations in mind for the finished product. What did Federal have in mind in designing the .355 caliber 95gr JSP??? I have no clue and have yet to see any test results.

Within reason, a bullet manufacturer can pretty much make the bullet do whatever they want it to. They can adjust the hardness of the lead. They can adjust the hollow point cavity or width of the exposed soft point. They can skive serations in the jacket in varying amounts and depths. They can bond or not bond the copper jacket to the lead core. Even the copper jacket material itself can be various alloys of copper, not to mention different jacket thicknesses.

Maybe someone has more info on Federal's intentions for that particular 9mm load and/or how they've seen/heard how it has performed. As for just picking up plinking ammo anyway, well, if your gun(s) feed(s) it reliably, have fun!

Good Shooting,
Craig

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote