Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2010, 17:54   #1
Atomic Punk

Casting copper?

i know it melts a little over three times hotter than lead, and its harder. but its still a soft metal.

so what changes might be needed or what might you have to do to try and cast solid copper bullets instead of lead?

i imagine you dont want to use alluminum molds so you would have to use steel or cast iron. and for the same size cavities used in lead the copper bullets would weigh less.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 18:15   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Right now scrap copper prices are $3.12 a pound... lead WW are basically free, as is range lead.

If you did manage to cast solid copper bullets would a powder charge create enough pressure to upset the copper into the barrel grooves or would you just experience tremendous blow-by?

I don't know... there are enough engineers on here who will know the answer.

Other than doing it for the novelty factor I don't see any benefit in going through the effort.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 18:18   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

If I were going to cast copper bullets I would be trying to figure out how to do it in an inert atmosphere (no significant oxidation)

Most bullets are made by pressing a disc of Copper.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 18:34   #4
crew
CLM Number 81

Copper bullets

Copper has a specific gravity of 8.69 compared to lead at 11.35. The same size bullet won't weigh the same. Pure copper is very difficult to cast. It does oxidize very fast.

Crew
Old 01-14-2010, 21:39   #5
Bobshouse

You want copper, move over here to California where you can only hunt with solid copper bullets...

They say it protects the condors....I've lived here for 28 years and never seen a california condor.
Old 01-14-2010, 22:25   #6
fredj338

THe best way to do solid copper is a CNC screw machine. Casting would require quite a kiln for melting the copper then getting it in & out of a mold would take some doing.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-15-2010 at 13:44..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:52   #7
mogollon

I also believe that smelting copper often releases toxic gasses, such as cyanide?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mogollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:02   #8
crew
CLM Number 81

Melting pure copper doesn't release cyanide gas. Smelting copper ore can.

Crew
Old 01-15-2010, 15:58   #9
Jim Watson

Fred is right you are not going to cast copper with hobby equipment.

Ref all the Lone Ranger silver bullet threads. A silver bullet is difficult enough at a lower melting point.
Old 01-15-2010, 16:12   #10
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

The only alternative to a lead-based cast boolit I'm aware of is Zinc. Back in the early 70s there was a lot of experimenting with cast Zinc HP boolits, because people were trying to duplicate the lightweight Super-Vel loads with cast bullets. As I recall, the zinc was difficult to cast with, required lots more heat, and was harder to break off the sprue. Also, it cross contaminates with Lead, so it's very difficult to use one melting pot for both Zinc and lead casting, as minute amounts of either contaminate the other to point of ruining them for casting...

For solid copper, let Barnes do all of the work, and just buy theirs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 18:09   #11
Atomic Punk

thanks for all the info. i did not expect it would be easy, and i was mostly just curiouse on the how. i doubt i would be making an attempt at it.
Old 01-15-2010, 21:43   #12
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
You want copper, move over here to California where you can only hunt with solid copper bullets...

They say it protects the condors....I've lived here for 28 years and never seen a california condor.

Isn't that kinda the point.
Old 01-16-2010, 19:27   #13
wavetrain75
Useless Member

David Icke says that the man eating 6 fingered giants that will be released on the earth in the end times can only be killed with a solid copper bullet.

Just asking.
Old 01-17-2010, 17:22   #14
dwhite53

I'd buy some copper bar and find a machine shop with a small lathe or swiss turning machine and have bullets turned. It's soft so you can cut it fast. No fumes, no screwed up molds, no high temperatures. Should be able to rip them out in less than 15 seconds each with the right tooling.

Have some fun, enroll in a machine shop program at your local community college. Use their machines and tools plus learn something about metal-working.

All the Best,
D. White
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 20:01   #15
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
I'd buy some copper bar and find a machine shop with a small lathe or swiss turning machine and have bullets turned. It's soft so you can cut it fast. No fumes, no screwed up molds, no high temperatures. Should be able to rip them out in less than 15 seconds each with the right tooling.

Have some fun, enroll in a machine shop program at your local community college. Use their machines and tools plus learn something about metal-working.

All the Best,
D. White

While a very good suggestion for those of us with logical, well, semi-logical minds at least, making bullets on a college campus may prove to be a bit more than problematical. It seems that some organizations in our society have no sense of humor or common sense what-so-ever.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 15:05   #16
Atomic Punk

i had thought about machinging them out on a lath as well. of ocurse i dont have a lath, for that matter i dotn have any casting equipment of any kind either.
but as has been pointed out. making bullets on a lath would likely be easier, and i actually have experience using machining tools.
Old 01-18-2010, 16:48   #17
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
While a very good suggestion for those of us with logical, well, semi-logical minds at least, making bullets on a college campus may prove to be a bit more than problematical. It seems that some organizations in our society have no sense of humor or common sense what-so-ever.

Jack
Yes, but if he was making new age religious amulets who the **** are they to ask him why they all have to be exactly 0.401" in diameter?

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 16:54   #18
mitchshrader
Deceased

You might actually break even turning pure copper bullets for a .50 BMG.
Old 01-18-2010, 19:36   #19
dwhite53

6ft bar of 3/8 inch diameter 110 grade pure copper is $34.20. Should get 100 to 110 bullets out of it if machined to standard 38 caliber 158 grain SWC dimensions. Bullets (sorry, "Deliver me unto Allah amulets") should weigh about 124.5 grains at these dimensions. I'd probably go for a 0.358 +/- 0.0005 inch tolerance.

I could probably get these done for $1.00 each with shipping on the bar + machine time.

This is NOT a price GUARANTEE. Just an estimate. I'd have to get it quoted.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 01-18-2010 at 19:40..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote