Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:48   #1
wayne in boca

Mossberg 590 Bayonet?

I have had a Mossberg 590 for around 15 years.It sits next to my bed,loaded with 00 buckshot.It has the bayonet lug,and I've mounted a bayonet a few times,just to show friends.
However,I just read in another forum that it is bad juju to actually fire the shotgun with a bayonet fixed.The poster claimed that he had personally witnessed as many as 15 of them snapping off the bayonet lug on the very first shot.What say you?
wayne in boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 13:19   #2
mixflip

Didnt Mossberg engineers and the military do extensive testing before building or buying these guns at some point in time? I havent heard of this issue but I am sure it has happened? I have seen weirder stuff happen.
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 15:18   #3
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Imagine the exit blast if you will. Only a couple degrees of it's 360* circle are directed towards the knife's blade. And because of it's thinness, it has just a very small amount of plane-area to create force or leverage. I doubt he witnessed 15, having never even heard of it before, with 4 years Cavalry & 4 years Reserves myself. Does the poster work in a gunstore?
Tactical Shotguns
Dr. J Frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 15:55   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

They've been sticking pointy things on the ends of shotguns since 1917, and on muskets and rifles since the 1600s.

I'm pretty sure they figured out how that works by now.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21   #5
PlasticGuy

Total BS. The military tested the heck out of them with bayonets before the adopted them. Besides, there's no way anybody could have seen 15 of them fired with bayonets on, and certainly not enough of them to see 15 of them break. More internet crap from an armchair warrior.
Old 01-15-2010, 14:28   #6
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
Besides, there's no way anybody could have seen 15 of them fired with bayonets on
When I remember back, I don't think I've even seen a weapon fired with a bayonet. You had bayonet training in basic, and that was pretty much the last time they were used in the field. There were a couple times we fixed bayonets for high-priority formations, like when the Commander in Chief visited post, but I don't think they are even allowed to be mounted on the firing line.

When range officers clear your weapon they insert a cleaning rod down the barrel to release the bolt so you can exit the firing line. Mounting and unmounting bayonets would just make things more of a hassle.
Quote:
The poster claimed that he had personally witnessed as many as 15 of them snapping off the bayonet lug on the very first shot.
He's probably seen just as many UFO's.
Quote:
Total BS.
+1
Dr. J Frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 21:57   #7
Faulkner
Patriot

I have fired my 590 with bayonet fixed several times with no ill effects.