SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:34   #1
X-Spec

Remington 870 magazine cap detent

I have a question about my 870 express.
My 870 express doesn't have a magazine extension.
And the magazine cap locks down with the teeth on the plastic magazine spring cap.
I want to install a Wilson Combat magazine tube extension and I know I have to drill out the two little protrusions on my magazine tube.
So here is my question.
I noticed the mounting ring on my barrel has the little hole in it for the magazine cap detent and detent spring. I know I can buy both the magazine detent #F17451 and magazine detent spring #16791.
How does the magazine detent spring and magazine detent install into the little hole in the barrel mounting ring?
Does it need pressed in or does it just slip in?
X-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:45   #2
blaster_54738

mine just slipped in. if you want you can pm me your address and i'll send you a couple, i bought a 5 pack and only needed one
blaster_54738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:52   #3
X-Spec

WOW Thanks for the generous offer.
PM sent.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:38   #4
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Spec View Post
II noticed the mounting ring on my barrel has the little hole in it for the magazine cap detent and detent spring. I know I can buy both the magazine detent #F17451 and magazine detent spring #16791.
How does the magazine detent spring and magazine detent install into the little hole in the barrel mounting ring?
Does it need pressed in or does it just slip in?
You might want to 'peen' or 'stake' the detent ball into place, once inserted into the barrel mounting ring.

I'm not certain, but, the ball and spring may come out and get lost if you don't secure them.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:58   #5
X-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
You might want to 'peen' or 'stake' the detent ball into place, once inserted into the barrel mounting ring.

I'm not certain, but, the ball and spring may come out and get lost if you don't secure them.

Yep just found the special punch tool for this job on the Brownell's website.
But I would bet you could still use the ball and spring without peening them in with the tool.
Just need to be extra careful when taking off the mag. extension.
Old 01-03-2010, 16:50   #6
jhooten
NRA Life Member

Don't worry about installing the detent. All it does is help to keep the mag cap from coming loose. Put your mag extension on. Get it hand tight. Then install the clamp around the mag tube and the barrel. It will keep the extension from loosening.
jhooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:25   #7
X-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
Don't worry about installing the detent. All it does is help to keep the mag cap from coming loose. Put your mag extension on. Get it hand tight. Then install the clamp around the mag tube and the barrel. It will keep the extension from loosening.
The Wilson Combat extension does not have a clamp.
I think the detent is a prudent way to keep the extension in place.
Old 01-04-2010, 20:42   #8
aippi

If you don't stake it here is what will happen. When you remove the mag cap, the detent ball will fly out. They are designed to evaporate into the air and so is the spring. So you will look for hours thinking you will find them, however they have evaporated.

I know this for a fact as so do safety detent springs, extrator plunger springs and most other small Remington Springs. I don't know how Remington was able to design these to evaporate into the thin air but it is amazing.

Get the detent ball staked but a gun smith or get the tool and try it. If you don't want to do this them simply put a small drop of Blue Loc-tite on the treads of the mag tube and install your extension. It will stay till you take it off but use the blue stuff not the red.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 20:53   #9
X-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
If you don't stake it here is what will happen. When you remove the mag cap, the detent ball will fly out. They are designed to evaporate into the air and so is the spring. So you will look for hours thinking you will find them, however they have evaporated.

I know this for a fact as so do safety detent springs, extrator plunger springs and most other small Remington Springs. I don't know how Remington was able to design these to evaporate into the thin air but it is amazing.

Get the detent ball staked but a gun smith or get the tool and try it. If you don't want to do this them simply put a small drop of Blue Loc-tite on the treads of the mag tube and install your extension. It will stay till you take it off but use the blue stuff not the red.

Old 01-04-2010, 21:35   #10
blaster_54738

i never had an issue with them vanashing and never staked them. just remember they are there when you take the extension off and they stay...

and btw, i put my spares in the mailbox this morning...you should have them shortly

Last edited by blaster_54738; 01-04-2010 at 21:38..
Old 01-04-2010, 21:35   #11
jhooten
NRA Life Member

Just because it doesn't come with one doesn't mean it doesn't need one. All it takes is a good bump on the tube to put the gun out of commission without one (even a short plus two).
jhooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 22:24   #12
aippi

Well blaster, I am a trained Remington Armorer and trained at the factory and I do this for a living and have them little springs fly off, pop me in eye, dissapear in the air and maybe, just maybe, I find one on the bench or floor every now and then. I even sifted the shop vac once to see how many things I could find and only found one safety detent spring and one carrier dog follower plunger.

So, X-spec, being a Certified Armorer also, I am sure you are more mortal like me and have all the SNAFU's,TARFU's and FUBAR's that come with working on weapons. I think you will take my advise and stake the detent ball. I don't jury rig anything on a weapon. I install it professionally and correctly as I am sure you do when working on a Glock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 01-04-2010, 23:16   #13
blaster_54738

Quote:
Well blaster, I am a trained Remington Armorer and trained at the factory and I do this for a living and have them little springs fly off, pop me in eye, dissapear in the air and maybe, just maybe, I find one on the bench or floor every now and then. I even sifted the shop vac once to see how many things I could find and only found one safety detent spring and one carrier dog follower plunger.
i'm not discounting the fact that it's suppose to be staked i'm just saying that on my 870 it wouldn't launch across the room when i took my extension off and i had no issues with it not being staked.
Old 01-05-2010, 15:03   #14
smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Spec View Post
The Wilson Combat extension does not have a clamp.
I think the detent is a prudent way to keep the extension in place.
Any mag extension that I use gets a clamp. It doesn't matter if it comes with one or not. Several issues can be averted with a clamp, so I see no reason not to have one.
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 16:05   #15
aippi

Is damage to the finish of your weapon a good reason not to have one?

The Remington barrel bracket is a one piece design and it mars your barrel down to bare steel where it touches the barrel. It also is very easy to scratch the barrel and the mag tube everytime you remove it to clean the weapon and replace it. The Remington tube extension does not have a stand alone magazine coupling so you have to use the barrel bracket.

The Wilson and a few others have a heavy mag tube coupling and do not require a barrel bracket. I use Wilsons on all my personal Remington Shotguns for this very reason.

The only reason to have a barrel bracket that I can think of is if you want to hand mess off it. A tube extension with a stand alone heavy mag coupling is a superior design.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 01-05-2010, 16:17   #16
smoke

Quote:
Is damage to the finish of your weapon a good reason not to have one?

The Remington barrel bracket is a one piece design and it mars your barrel down to bare steel where it touches the barrel. It also is very easy to scratch the barrel and the mag tube everytime you remove it to clean the weapon and replace it. The Remington tube extension does not have a stand alone magazine coupling so you have to use the barrel bracket.

The Wilson and a few others have a heavy mag tube coupling and do not require a barrel bracket. I use Wilsons on all my personal Remington Shotguns for this very reason.

The only reason to have a barrel bracket that I can think of is if you want to hand mess off it. A tube extension with a stand alone heavy mag coupling is a superior design.
Not concerned about the finish on the weapon as it is a tool, not a show piece. I do not like the Remington factory clamp, but have used them and they can be removed/installed without scratching the barrel if you know how to do it. As for the Wilson not needing a clamp, that is your opinion - I still put clamps on mine and will continue to do so.
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 18:14   #17
X-Spec

Quote:

So, X-spec, being a Certified Armorer also, I am sure you are more mortal like me and have all the SNAFU's,TARFU's and FUBAR's that come with working on weapons. I think you will take my advise and stake the detent ball. I don't jury rig anything on a weapon. I install it professionally and correctly as I am sure you do when working on a Glock.
Yep J.D. I am ordering a staking tool as none of the gunsmiths locally have one.
Thanks for all the great advise!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:44   #18
X-Spec

Blaster
Received the plungers and springs.
Again thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 11:11   #19
blaster_54738

not a problem