GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 15:23   #621
clarkstoncz
Senior Member
 
clarkstoncz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,051
Some of those tests show the .357 SIG to have a wider stretch cavity than the vaunted
.357 Magnum.

Not that I'd want to shot by either on of them


As for the much hyped HST. That testing shows the HST to actually fragment,
and have a more narrow stretch cavity than the more impressive PDX .357
SIG load, or at least it looks like that to me.

I still think the TAC XP is the best bullet on the market.

100% expansion and weight retention.


No need to shop for bonded or non-bonded.


More than adequate penetration with
no worry of the jacket/core will separate.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by clarkstoncz; 10-07-2012 at 15:23..
clarkstoncz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:28   #622
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,439
With regards to penetration, the FBI mandates 12-18" so 16" is just about ideal, IMO. That's just over halfway in the acceptable range.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:22   #623
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncz View Post
As for the much hyped HST. That testing shows the HST to actually fragment,
and have a more narrow stretch cavity than the more impressive PDX .357
SIG load, or at least it looks like that to me.

I still think the TAC XP is the best bullet on the market.

100% expansion and weight retention.


No need to shop for bonded or non-bonded.


More than adequate penetration with
no worry of the jacket/core will separate.
That is it. The 357 Sig HST is not hyped. However, while we are talking about the PDX1 or Winchester Bonded Ranger, it does have a larger diameter at the end, however, it takes almost 2" before expansion starts. Penetration is less than the HST, and in my opinion the damage cavity is less in overall size. The fragmentation you get off of the HST is not worth mentioning. If it were an issue, why does it penetrate more that the PDX1.

I have tried to love the TAC XP bullets, but it is diffcult. The real nice thing about it is that it expands through anything, even leather. The only other bullet that comes close is the HST.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41   #624
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
My next gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
That is it. The 357 Sig HST is not hyped. However, while we are talking about the PDX1 or Winchester Bonded Ranger, it does have a larger diameter at the end, however, it takes almost 2" before expansion starts. Penetration is less than the HST, and in my opinion the damage cavity is less in overall size. The fragmentation you get off of the HST is not worth mentioning. If it were an issue, why does it penetrate more that the PDX1.

I have tried to love the TAC XP bullets, but it is diffcult. The real nice thing about it is that it expands through anything, even leather. The only other bullet that comes close is the HST.
will be in .45 caliber, where I'll not be concerned with bullet expansion.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:39   #625
Nanuk
Senior Member
 
Nanuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
will be in .45 caliber, where I'll not be concerned with bullet expansion.

Nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:07   #626
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
This thread is getting complicated.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:26   #627
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,439
I think my S&W 642 firing standard pressure .38 Special is louder than any pistol I have, including .357 Sig. Maybe not but that's the impression I get, maybe it's just the blast.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 10-12-2012 at 14:26..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 14:30   #628
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
You're likely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
I think my S&W 642 firing standard pressure .38 Special is louder than any pistol I have, including .357 Sig. Maybe not but that's the impression I get, maybe it's just the blast.
About the snubbie being the loudest. The powder charge burns outside the barrel, mostly.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 14:05   #629
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I would say it is certainly a good man stopper, as long as the bullet goes where it's supposed to. But looking at it that way, so is the 9mm, 40 and 45. Otherwise, I don't think it's stands above anything else available.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 20:29   #630
clarkstoncz
Senior Member
 
clarkstoncz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,051
Funny how the FBI spent millions to get a better round than the 147 gr. 9 mm,
and went to the 10mm, then the weaker FBI loads.

That they now carry .40s but the best caliber is a lighter weight ( 125) Magnumized version of the 9mm. Plenty of stopping power and tactical penetration, even if
most data is from full sized duty guns.


The .357 SIG is both interesting and very authoritative!

Caliber Corner
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by clarkstoncz; 10-21-2012 at 20:34..
clarkstoncz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 22:10   #631
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncz View Post
Funny how the FBI spent millions to get a better round than the 147 gr. 9 mm,
and went to the 10mm, then the weaker FBI loads.

That they now carry .40s but the best caliber is a lighter weight ( 125) Magnumized version of the 9mm. Plenty of stopping power and tactical penetration, even if
most data is from full sized duty guns.


The .357 SIG is both interesting and very authoritative!

Caliber Corner
I seriously doubt a hot 125gr 357 sig @1400fps is going to make any difference over a 155gr 40S&W @1300fps. I'll take a larger, heavier bullet going fast over a smaller/lighter bullet going a little faster. Really if anything its a wash, but the 40 is more versatile in loads and bullet weights. What evidence do you have showing the 357 sig as being any better?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53   #632
clarkstoncz
Senior Member
 
clarkstoncz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,051
Texas and other depts could switch to the .40 but they don't.



The .357 SIG offers this over the Forty:

Lower recoil.

Improved accuracy

superior tactical penetration.

Superior Stopping Power with most loads than any other common police
calibers.

Or at least us .357 owners think so.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
clarkstoncz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15   #633
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
I wonder

just how many police departments use the .357 Sig?
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 21:09   #634
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Chuck TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 6,654
Who is still making 357sig models besides Sig and Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
just how many police departments use the .357 Sig?
~20 or so agencies seem to have it as the issued caliber. Many seem to be Highway Patrol who were nostalgic for the .357Mag. Guess they couldn't handle the 10mm.
__________________
"Come and Take it!" - Texans, October 2, 1835
Chuck TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 23:11   #635
Trigger Finger
Senior Member
 
Trigger Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,252
I like the 357 Sig, but prefer the 40 cal. I think they are about equal in performance on self defense issues. And those are about 15 yards and less 99% of the time!!! Longer then about 25 or 30 yards and the 357 Sig might have a slight advantage and shooting through barriers of different kinds.

I prefer the 45 ACP and Super over both. Even over the 10mm .

But PghJim stated quite away back that "No round is perfect but I think even comparing it to a +p+ 9 would be rediculous."
How is comparing a 357 Sig to a 9MM +P+ ridiculous? Isn't that just what a 357 Sig is!! A 9MM +P+, or a very little more then that. A very fast 9MM. Yes, that is very good but that's all it is.

OK, the 357 Sig is about exactly like a 9MM +P++. Comparable to a 9mm +P+. But with a very close 9MM+P+ you can hold more rounds of ammo.
__________________
Land of the Free Because of the Brave!
It is easier to be critical than correct and most people tend to take the easy way!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Trigger Finger; 10-25-2012 at 00:46..
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:52   #636
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
I don't think you're going to find a 9+p+ with over 600ft lbs.
__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:26   #637
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post
I like the 357 Sig, but prefer the 40 cal. I think they are about equal in performance on self defense issues. And those are about 15 yards and less 99% of the time!!! Longer then about 25 or 30 yards and the 357 Sig might have a slight advantage and shooting through barriers of different kinds.

I prefer the 45 ACP and Super over both. Even over the 10mm .

But PghJim stated quite away back that "No round is perfect but I think even comparing it to a +p+ 9 would be rediculous."
How is comparing a 357 Sig to a 9MM +P+ ridiculous? Isn't that just what a 357 Sig is!! A 9MM +P+, or a very little more then that. A very fast 9MM. Yes, that is very good but that's all it is.

OK, the 357 Sig is about exactly like a 9MM +P++. Comparable to a 9mm +P+. But with a very close 9MM+P+ you can hold more rounds of ammo.
Same comparison would be 38 v. 357mag. We all no which one is superior. Same with 9mm v. 357sig.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 14:13   #638
Trigger Finger
Senior Member
 
Trigger Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Same comparison would be 38 v. 357mag. We all no which one is superior. Same with 9mm v. 357sig.

There is no doubt that the 357 Sig is superior to the 9MM +P+. I did not mean to infer otherwise!!

It's just that I don't think it is the great panacea that some are calling it. And I have never heard it called an "unbelievable man stopper".
__________________
Land of the Free Because of the Brave!
It is easier to be critical than correct and most people tend to take the easy way!



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 18:26   #639
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20c10mm View Post
No, most people know the 10mm Auto is the equivelant to the "instant death ray". 357SIG can't touch it.
Odd, I have never thought to make the comparison. But you are correct about a full-powered 10 mm being a death ray.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 11-01-2012 at 13:27..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 21:14   #640
dpadams6
Senior Member
 
dpadams6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post
There is no doubt that the 357 Sig is superior to the 9MM +P+. I did not mean to infer otherwise!!

It's just that I don't think it is the great panacea that some are calling it. And I have never heard it called an "unbelievable man stopper".
I think its the best all around handgun self defense round on the planet. We carried the 9mm back in the day for my first 5years. Were very unpleased by performance in a few shootings. Granted, that was 15-20 years ago and ammo has improved quite a bit since then. We switched to the 357 sig in around 1997 and have had close to 10-12 shootings with it. Mostly with gold dot and a few with hst. We are very pleased. I also think the 40 is a fantastic self defense round as well. Just feel the 357sig is slightly better. Especially if you have to shoot thru car doors/windshields.

Last edited by dpadams6; 10-25-2012 at 21:17..
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,004
273 Members
731 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31