Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2010, 15:10   #1
lakerfan

New Gun- G22 RTF2- what type of ammo?

What type of ammunition is best for simple target practice? For self defense (that's legal in Cali)? I read something about reloads not being good, so does that mean no on the reloads from the shooting range?

Thanks everyone!
lakerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 22:20   #2
Brucev

This past year I bought a G-22RTF. It has been simply outstanding in every respect. For target practice I have had very good results using the following ammunition: Federal 180 gr. FMJ-FN; Winchester 165gr. FMJ; Magtech 165 gr. FMJ. With the 180 gr. loads, POI has been POA. With the 165 gr. loads, POI has been just about 1 inch above POA. All results reflect center of group fired at 15 yds.

I have been reloading rifle and pistol ammunition for over 25 years. Properly produced with due attention, reloaded ammunition will give excellent and in some cases superior results. All of my competition ammunition for rifle matches is reloaded/handloaded. I have not yet started loading for the .40 but as soon as I have enough cases, I will buy some primers, powder and bullets and start handloading .40 S&W rounds for my G-22. If you can find a commercial reloader who can supply good quality ammunition to meet your needs at a competitive price, then buy a box or two and see how the rounds run in your pistol.

It is widely recommended that one not used lead bullet reloads in Glock pistols. Without chasing a bunch of rabbits regarding reasons for that recommendation, suffice it to say that you will get best results using jacketed bullets in your Glock pistol due to the polygonal rifling which is not ideally suited to shooting lead bullets. Traditionally rifled barrels by aftermarket producers such as Lone Wolf are better suited to giving good to excellent results with lead bullets. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 22:51   #3
Jeepnik

Gee, I would imagine any hollow point from a major maker that feeds reliably in "your' Model 22. Isn't a hoots worth of difference between one brand or another, even though the hype would tend to make you think so.
Old 01-16-2010, 16:32   #4
beancounter81

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfan View Post
I read something about reloads not being good, so does that mean no on the reloads from the shooting range?

Thanks everyone!
Page 15 of the Glock manual "The use of reloaded ammunition will void the Glock warranty".

For range, I shoot whatever WalMart has on hand - usually WWB 165gr FMJ or Federal Champion 180gr FMJ. For carry, a good hollow point like Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1, etc IF those are allowed in the People's Republic of California.
beancounter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 19:30   #5
JBP55

For carry ammo. I would consider Gold Dot, Ranger T, HST or Golden Saber in 165gr. or 180gr. Make sure your carry ammo. is reliable and functions well in your pistol before carrying it.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 22:53   #6
Ak.Hiker

I really like the Speer Lawman TMJ loads. Test out what weight is best in your gun. The 180 grain weight is a good one to test first.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:21   #7
lakerfan

When I picked up my gun today I decided to purchase 3 boxes of PMC Bronze 165 Gr. FMJ-FP for target shooting and one box of Winchester 180 Gr. Bonded PDX-1 for home defense loads.
lakerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:29   #8
Eagle22

Glock 22s will eat just about anything you feed them.

For my G22 and G27 I use Federal 165g or 180g FMJs and Federal HST 165gr carry

NC Glockers #139
Eagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote