Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2010, 19:54   #1
scottie_mac

TFO's

I'm considering getting a set for my G19 for use in IDPA. Does anyone have experience with these sights?

Also, any particular lense color you find to be especially effective in your shooting glasses in lower light situations with these sights?

Thanks in advance.
scottie_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 20:04   #2
criticaltim

I'm not going to bad mouth the TFOs because I know several people who have and love them. I had them on a G17 for a while (all 3 green) and when I was testing with them, my times for first round on target were actually a little slower than with Glock polys. Even after lots of practice, all three sights having the fiber optic glow was a bit much for me, maybe visual sensory overload? Anyway, just installed a set of Dawson precision Sevigny Competitions on my G35, and like them alot. The rear sights are all black steel, and the front has a red fiber optic rod. They come with green or red, you just install the one you want. I went with these after getting my Taurus Judge which has the solid black rears and fiber optic red front, and although the sights aren't great on the judge (who needs great sights on a hand/shotgun) the fiber optic red showed up great between the solid black rears. This G35 isn't a carry gun so need for tritium, can't remember what the tritium was like on the TFOs. Sorry.

Last edited by criticaltim; 01-15-2010 at 20:28..
criticaltim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:02   #3
Alexpag

I recently installed them http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1156993
Alexpag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:59   #4
DLL9mm

I'm ordering some next week for my G19. Can't wait.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:29   #5
Glock Dave

There are a lot of people with complaints of the tritium tube falling out of the front sight. That said my experience with them is that they are a great combat sight but a poor target shooting sight. The front sight is very wide which makes for a harder time with precise shots. Not a lot of precise shots needed in IDPA but it hurts on tight head shots or for squeezing it into a down zero with a non-threat right there. Also, the front sight in the TFO's is very long. It decreases sight radius a considerable amount. And that is on a G17, can't imagine what it would be on a G19.
Glock Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 16:25   #6
scottie_mac

So went to the range to shoot, was shown a XD wearing a set of the TFO's and was impressed, so I bought them and had them installed before shooting. All I can say is WOW!!! They are super bright and just what I was hoping for. No problems with front sight being too wide for my tastes and awesome brightness through all light conditions. I think for those of us that use our IDPA as also a primary carry, these are where it's at.

In short....

TFO's FTW!!!!
scottie_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 17:49   #7
RayB
Retired Member

TFO History

If you can get this sight's search function to work for you, you'll find that more complaints have been filed on TFOs than any other sight brand out there, and by a large measure.

Complaints Have Included:

- Poor Fit
- Poor Finish
- Poor Workmanship
- Fiber Optic Rod Failure
- Tritium Lamp Failure

To be fair, as of late, the number of these complaints has fallen off. But the sights still have only a 90-Day Warranty, and that frankly bugs me.

I have handled guns equipped with these sights, including the Sig Equinox, which utilizes a TFO front sight with an all black tritium rear sight. In a word, impressive!

No question, the TFO concept is clever and effective!

Still, as far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on TFOs.

--Ray

Last edited by RayB; 01-16-2010 at 17:52..
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 23:20   #8
FlyfishermanMike

The front sight with the interchangeable lens falls out really easily. Better just to choose a color and get the permanent version.
FlyfishermanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:55   #9
Bruce M

I have two sets on a 26 and a 30. I cannot vouch for the longevity of them but I will admit at my advanced and declining age they are easy to see and pick up quickly both in daylight and darkness. So far I am satisfied. I have been warned to keep cleaning/petroleum stuff away from them.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59   #10
banjobob

I love mine, have them on all my glocks except my 34 and 35, they wear Sevigney / Warren sights.
banjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 17:26   #11
Alexpag

Just got back from the range after some night shooting. First time testing new TFO's in my glock 17C and I 'm more than happy. I was aiming exactly where I wanted to shoot. My 17C has a huge flame!!!
Alexpag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 17:33   #12
Jon_R
Silver Membership

I have the same sights you do on my G35 I use for USPSA/IPSC shooting and like them a lot.

For IDPA I use a G19/23 and run the Sevigny Carry sights. All black and very happy with them. I used the standard glock sights until I broke off the front sight in a class. Then I just replaced them all with the Sevigny / Warren sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by criticaltim View Post
Anyway, just installed a set of Dawson precision Sevigny Competitions on my G35, and like them alot. The rear sights are all black steel, and the front has a red fiber optic rod.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39   #13
pens-66

I have had 4 guns so far with the TFOs on them and I can't find anything negative to say..Never a problem. The fit and finish have been as good as any other night sight I have owned in the past. So I am guessing that their problems are in the past. I have only tried the all green,but a freind of mine has the green front,yellow rear and they are pretty sweet as well.
pens-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:20   #14
DLL9mm

I'm going to order them for my G19 Friday. I can't wait to try them out.
Old 01-19-2010, 13:41   #15
jmsfmtex

I have them on several guns and have had no problems to date. Two friends of mine shoot IDPA, use TFO's, and have finish in the top 10 most of the time.