Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2010, 21:02   #1
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Question for 1911 Gurus...

Okay...

A while back, I purchased my first 1911. It is a Metro Arms American Classic II. I had some issues at first with one or two jams during about the first 200-300 rounds with ball ammo. I figured the gun was just getting broken in.

I shot it some more and the had one or two more FTE. I was using my C.M. 8 round power mags and the factory mec-gar mag that came with the gun. Had issues with one of the chip mags and the mec-gar. The factory one felt VERY sticky compared to the stainless Chip's. I came home and polished the feed ramp before cleaning the gun and got it nice and shiny while being very careful not to remove any metal or put any marks on it.

Fast forward to my last range trip, and I notice the slide locking back with rounds still left in the magazine. I figured I must have been riding the factory slightly extended slide lock this entire time.

This is my first experience consistantly shooting a 1911 and I love the platform. However, it certainly has been messing with my head having these initial teething issues.

I have gorilla hands and have always shoot pretty much just Glocks up until this point. Is there some way I can try to trouble shoot my problem? Maybe try to adjust my grip slightly or should I just try a standard slide lock lever? The gun came factory with the entended one.

FYI, it fed hornady TAP 230 gr. JHP just fine after the first couple hundred rounds of ball. I also thought the WWB ammo might have been causing some of the issues.

Any input would bee appreciated. I am sorry if this is a run on post or if I did not organize it very well. I attended my fiance's grandfather's funeral service this morning and my mind is racing a million miles an hour and I wanted to ask this and hopefully get some answers. I also wanted to try and get my mind off of things.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2010, 21:15   #2
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPredator View Post
Okay...

A while back, I purchased my first 1911. It is a Metro Arms American Classic II. I had some issues at first with one or two jams during about the first 200-300 rounds with ball ammo. I figured the gun was just getting broken in.

I shot it some more and the had one or two more FTE. I was using my C.M. 8 round power mags and the factory mec-gar mag that came with the gun. Had issues with one of the chip mags and the mec-gar. The factory one felt VERY sticky compared to the stainless Chip's. I came home and polished the feed ramp before cleaning the gun and got it nice and shiny while being very careful not to remove any metal or put any marks on it.

Fast forward to my last range trip, and I notice the slide locking back with rounds still left in the magazine. I figured I must have been riding the factory slightly extended slide lock this entire time.

This is my first experience consistantly shooting a 1911 and I love the platform. However, it certainly has been messing with my head having these initial teething issues.

I have gorilla hands and have always shoot pretty much just Glocks up until this point. Is there some way I can try to trouble shoot my problem? Maybe try to adjust my grip slightly or should I just try a standard slide lock lever? The gun came factory with the entended one.

FYI, it fed hornady TAP 230 gr. JHP just fine after the first couple hundred rounds of ball. I also thought the WWB ammo might have been causing some of the issues.

Any input would bee appreciated. I am sorry if this is a run on post or if I did not organize it very well. I attended my fiance's grandfather's funeral service this morning and my mind is racing a million miles an hour and I wanted to ask this and hopefully get some answers. I also wanted to try and get my mind off of things.

Thanks in advance.
If a mag feels "sticky," clean it. There could be factory grease inside. I keep all my mags totally clean and bone dry inside and out (others will suggest a Mobil 1 dunk with a douse of sand ).
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 21:18   #3
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Cobra64...Thanks so much for the quick response. I will make sure to take them all apart before the range trip tomorrow and clean them up. What you said makes sense because the gun was CAKED in factory packing grease when I brought it home. I knew to clean the gun, but never thought of doing so with the mags.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2010, 21:24   #4
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Cobra64...Thanks so much for the quick response. I will make sure to take them all apart before the range trip tomorrow and clean them up. What you said makes sense because the gun was CAKED in factory packing grease when I brought it home. I knew to clean the gun, but never thought of doing so with the mags.

Thanks!
Hey, no problem. Many skip the mags. But if you think about it, if the mags ain't workin' right, all ya got is a "one shot" shooter.
Old 01-16-2010, 21:27   #5
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
If a mag feels "sticky," clean it. There could be factory grease inside. I keep all my mags totally clean and bone dry inside and out (others will suggest a Mobil 1 dunk with a douse of sand ).
Very true.

It could be that simple.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 21:30   #6
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Hey, no problem. Many skip the mags. But if you think about it, if the mags ain't workin' right, all ya got is a "one shot" shooter.
haha, good point my friend! I will give that a "shot" and see how it goes.
Old 01-16-2010, 21:31   #7
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Very true.

It could be that simple.
Hey BAC! I appreciate you chiming in on this as well.

I will give them all a good scrub down before I light the gun up again tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2010, 21:47   #8
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Revision to original posting...The sticky factory mag has act-mag stamped on it, and not mec-gar.
Old 01-16-2010, 22:06   #9
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Very true.

It could be that simple.
Bac, in the thousands of threads along the lines of, "my gun jams," have you ever seen a post by me (with the exception of my NIB 1971 Jam-O-Matic Walther PPK) complaining about FTF, FTE, FTF, FFF, TFT, or any other failure?

Just keep 'em:

- Clean
- Lubed
- Sprung right
Old 01-16-2010, 22:46   #10
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Hey again Cobra64, I just got finished cleaning my five range mags.

You were not kidding about the crud build up in those! I went through probably about 8-10 patches cleaning all of the CRAP out of them. After scrubbing them down with a wet patch, I then did what you suggested and ran a dry one through it to get most of it back out.

I have always kept my weapons cleaned and lubed. I actually enjoy sitting down to do it once I return home after a range trip. However, I guess I need to start applying more of that initative to the mags as well. Esp. for my 1911. I have heard that that is the weakest link to that particular platform.
Old 01-16-2010, 23:09   #11
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Hey again Cobra64, I just got finished cleaning my five range mags.

You were not kidding about the crud build up in those! I went through probably about 8-10 patches cleaning all of the CRAP out of them. After scrubbing them down with a wet patch, I then did what you suggested and ran a dry one through it to get most of it back out.

I have always kept my weapons cleaned and lubed. I actually enjoy sitting down to do it once I return home after a range trip. However, I guess I need to start applying more of that initative to the mags as well. Esp. for my 1911. I have heard that that is the weakest link to that particular platform.
New Sig mags are the worst. They're covered with thick yellow grease. At first, I was tempted to go after them with this:

1911 Forums

Then I decided that was too drastic a measure and decided to use this to hose 'em down a few times.

1911 Forums

Here's the end result:

1911 Forums
(P226 9mm)

1911 Forums
(SigPro 9mm)

Old 01-16-2010, 23:15   #12
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
New Sig mags are the worst. They're covered with thick yellow grease. At first, I was tempted to go after them with this:

1911 Forums

Then I decided that was too drastic a measure and decided to use this to hose 'em down a few times.

1911 Forums

Here's the end result:

1911 Forums
(P226 9mm)

1911 Forums
(SigPro 9mm)

That does sound nasty. Looks like they turned out great though!
Old 01-17-2010, 00:55   #13
Black Cloud

Cleaning the mags. Won’t hurt, but usually a fte is caused by an improperly tuned extractor.
Also having meaty gorilla hands doesn’t help as well. It can slow the slide down causing a short stroke, depending on how much pressure is applied to the slide.
If you experience more ftes at the range, try shooting with your thumbs up or resting on your support hand. If that doesn’t work then have your extractor checked.

Smitty
Black Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:02   #14
Black Cloud

I like the W.C. unit (Bulletproof) or E.B.'s

Quote:

Oh yeah, loose that extended slide stop and replace it with the norm. They are notorious for that.
Black Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:05   #15
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post
Oh yeah, loose that extended slide stop and replace it with the norm. They are notorious for that.
Yeah, I agree with you. The gun actually came equipped with an extended slide lock lever and extended thumb safety. I love the extra big safety, but the other part def. seems to create some issues. I use a thumbs forward grip. Maybe I will just try to adjust it a little bit to clear it of that part next time while shooting.

Thanks for the tip!