Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:58   #1
mapwd1702

what can remove this finish??

I traded my Springer GI for a W.German P226 that the owner said was refinished at Wilson Combat approx. 20 years ago and also had a trigger job there as well. The trigger is unbelievable and is accurate as hell. But the finish is ugly as all get out! It is OD green and is chipped in places. The previous owner says it is a ceramic type coating with teflon as well. Looks to be a spray on type finish as it has filled in the lettering pretty good in some spots. Where the finish is chipped off, the original finish looks to be in good condition and I would like to know if anyone knows how I may get this finish off and still maintain the previous finish condition, think Gun Scrubber may remove this???

Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Rem. 870
mapwd1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 13:05   #2
Woodsy

Wow....thats just horrid.

I think your best bet might be to go to bare metal and then apply a nice new quality finish that you like, because i think that anything that would remove that finish would also remove the previous one as well.

I'll let the experts chime in though, good luck.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 21:26   #3
SiGlockBoy

Probably not. I would bead blast to bare metal and refinish. I don't think you could ever save a finish underneath. It just happens to look good because the prep wasn't great right there and it chipped off as it wasn't really adhered to the surface but bonded to the other coating material around it. I always consider a coated gun to be a project gun.
SiGlockBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 21:31   #4
Glockwork Orange

I'd be a little skeptical about that "refinished at Wilson Combat approx. 20 years ago" part...was/is/does Wilson even refinish pistols? Did they do it 20 years ago? Was the concept of OD pistols even around then? I'd have it stripped completely and refinished...nice gun though!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:25   #5
bluejdixon
Ammo Hoarder

Might be worth a try contacting the company. Im sure they would rather do it, mind you.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43   #6
Wash-ar15

If its close to the same stuff I had on a 226 I got refinished years ago,that stuff is tuff.

think the only way to do it would be to blast it. Contact a refinishing place and see how much it would cost.

or sell it and buy one that you like.
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47   #7
elde
Lifetime Membership

If Wilson actually did the refinish then it is their ArmorTuff finish. Can't tell you that they were refinishing pistols 20 years ago but they certainly were 15 years ago when they reworked and refinished a Colt of mine. This gun has been sprayed with Gun Scrubber hundreds of times over the years with no effect on the finish. As others have said, your options are probably limited to bead blasting the finish off and reapplying the finish of your choice. I'd suggest giving CCR a call and discussing it with them.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/index.html
elde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32   #8
nnickatnight

The finish could be removed but I'd be partial to Robar to have it refinished in you choice of NP3, Black, etc. I can send you pics of their work on my guns or visit their website. They've done at least a dozen guns for me.
nnickatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:45   #9
mapwd1702

UPDATE: So I go to the local gunshow this weekend to see what they have, if they had a P226R or P229R I would have thought about selling this one or trading. So I show the gun to several people familiar with gun refinishing and they tell me that this is NOT a teflon/ceramic based finish but plain old Duracoat. So now I had to decide and research how to get rid of it, and could I go back to the original anodizing? So I went and bought some M.E.K, and some epoxy stripper, Steel wool and gloves. While contemplating whether I really wanted to do this I thought about what I could use to try and scrape it off without using any of these harsh chemicals, I went and cut a blank DVD into little scrapers and gave it a try...two hours later I was pretty much done! Then it took me about 3 hours and a training video to learn how to put all the pieces back into the gun!! At least now I can do it pretty proficiently!! What do you think?? Keep it 2 tone like this, send it to Sig and have it redone in their Nitron finish, or Robar NP3?? I may try to trade it for a gun with a rail still, as I like to have that for HD and have my light sitting unused since I sold the Glock.

Kinda like the way the serial numbers stand out with the green lettering, any thoughts on how to get the green out of the serrations??? gotta find a needle!

Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Rem. 870

Last edited by mapwd1702; 01-24-2010 at 08:48..
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55   #10
fran m

The slide is all good with all the diarrea color remaining intact?

Hopefully it is the lighting but that color is foul.

Even if the color is bad it is a functioning quality firearm so its up to you. I can's see spending a lot of money on a shooter with only finish issues.
fran m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:27   #11
mapwd1702

ya, that is the real color, why do you think I am trying to fix it? LOL. Unfortunately the slide coating is in good shape, I think it covered steel better than the anodized frame. and I don't know if I could get it off the slide as easy or nicely. Gun shoots like a dream, just hate looking at that color! (Sorry Brian!)
Rem. 870
Old 01-24-2010, 10:25   #12
fran m

Cerehide on the slide would be 49.00 if the holiday sale is still going on according to CCR. I guess I would lean that way. Not a lot of money to put into the gun to make it look a lot better.
fran m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 16:20   #13
vmann
Controller

yea, that looks bad, send it to www.robarguns.com for a np3 finish...

U.S. ARMY
vmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:21   #14
g29cc
Custom Work

You did a good job on getting the color off the frame. With all the comments on blasting to bare metal, that would have been the last thing to do to the frame. Removing the anodizing on a aluminum frame isnt a good idea. I see spots on the frame rails in your pictures that look silverish. That is where the anodizing is starting to wear thin. It would probably be best to have the entire gun refinished to protect the spots on the frame ( wear spots ). The outside doesnt look to bad. But its the wear areas that are the concern.

We offer Cerakote Refinishing which is a Ceramic based two part coating. Nothing on the market right now compares to Cerakote in durability or corrosion resistance.

We charge $150 for an entire hand gun refinish in Cerakote. That includes 2 mags and a complete disassembly and reassembly of the gun from a factory certified Sig Armorer with complete inspection. Return shipping is only $25.

Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing

I ve done alot worse guns there yours ( restorations/refinishes ).

Gunsmithing

Gunsmithing
g29cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43   #15
mapwd1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by g29cc View Post
You did a good job on getting the color off the frame. With all the comments on blasting to bare metal, that would have been the last thing to do to the frame. Removing the anodizing on a aluminum frame isnt a good idea. I see spots on the frame rails in your pictures that look silverish. That is where the anodizing is starting to wear thin. It would probably be best to have the entire gun refinished to protect the spots on the frame ( wear spots ). The outside doesnt look to bad. But its the wear areas that are the concern.

We offer Cerakote Refinishing which is a Ceramic based two part coating. Nothing on the market right now compares to Cerakote in durability or corrosion resistance.

We charge $150 for an entire hand gun refinish in Cerakote. That includes 2 mags and a complete disassembly and reassembly of the gun from a factory certified Sig Armorer with complete inspection. Return shipping is only $25.

Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing
Gunsmithing

I ve done alot worse guns there yours ( restorations/refinishes ).

Gunsmithing

Gunsmithing
Checked out your website and I am interested in having this gun done by you. Sent an email asking some questions. Thanks.
Rem. 870