Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2010, 00:22   #1
Dirk Pitt

Info needed on Mystery M-1

A friend of mine at work told about an M-1 rifle that his dad had left to him. He did not know anything about it other than it was an M-1. He is a good guy, just not a gun guy, but he is learning. I told him to bring it to me and I would check it out for him. He agreed and I got the rifle home.

First thing I noticed on the rear of the receiver where the mfg. s/n etc. would be it is baby butt smooth. That got me a little excited (not a good excited) because I did not know what I had. I thought maybe I had an after market receiver and S/N was someplace else. Just Guessing. When I looked at it the first time I only had a minute due to my schedule. I did however get some time later on and did an in depth strip and took it all apart. All the part numbers / drawing numbers are good on the assorted parts. But still no typical mfg. S/N. I was really perplexed and as I was looking more closely wearing magnifying glasses and a bright flashlight by chance at the right angle I DID see the Mfg. and S/N right were it should be. It was all there:

Springfield Armory
32118XX

But it was like it was covered over with something but it was still there, no abrasion marks like a grinder or anything like that. Sorry no pics,had to send my camera into the shop (that's another story). So I breathed a sigh of relief and continued on. I cleaned it all up as it had been shot. All the parts are in great order. In the stock in had the take down tool and the oilier tube both in place. The stock seemed strange to me as it was very nice, all there and the wood to metal fit was very good. The stock was almost too nice. It was like a stock off of a sporting rifle, glossy and nicely grained. With my experience form CMP rifles I just have not seen one like that. I am guessing it was after market. Where this rifle originally came from I have no idea. Just trying to get some info for my friend. Anybody have any ideas about mfg date from the S/N series or anything please let me know.
Thanks
Dirk Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 23:35   #2
ChinaCave

Looks like late 1944!

Check out the CMP Forums

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/default.asp

From http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/m1serial.htm

Year/Month

Serial # at end of Month

June

July

August

September

November

December

"I'm a shoulder thing that goes up."
ChinaCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:05   #3
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

It sounds like the stock's been refinished.....got pictures?

It doesn't have a National Match rear sight does it?

Military Surplus Forum

as compared to the standard rear sight:
Military Surplus Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Patron Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is online now   Reply With Quote