Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:16   #1
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Clint Smith on the 870 Remington. Video link.

Thunder Ranch's directer with a few thoughts on the 870. Short 3 1/2 minute clip. I found it kinda interesting and seem to share much the same ideas regarding a defensive shotgun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdW2TAfN3mQ
Dr. J Frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:59   #2
David Armstrong

Clint, as always, gets right to the basics. He is not alone, BTW, in his recommendation to keep it simple. Most folks that are true combat shotgun instructors, as opposed to folks who just teach people how to use the shotgun, all have fairly plain-jane guns without all sorts of bells and whistles on them.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:34   #3
aippi

I have been saying the exact same things on all these blogs and on my web site for several years and getting attacked at every turn. I don't build "Tacti-cool" or as I call them "Tacti-fool" shotguns. It gets a little dishearting some times being atacked for what I know is right and to see a Professional like this guy affirm my convicitons about the 870 and about fighting shotguns was an uplifting expirience. One of my employees has been telling me about Clint Smith but I have never read nor seen any of his work. I am going to make it a point to do some research as the guy knows his stuff.

Thank you Dr. J for posting this and I hope some of the guys here watch it and take Clints advice as it may very well save thier lives if they ever have to use a shotgun in a fight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:42   #4
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Here's another one on shotguns in general. I've seen it linked here before. The basic premise is, "What you have is most times all you really need."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

I always need to hit pause for a short while to let the videos load. Then hit play.
Old 01-09-2010, 15:05   #5
drider

I love this guy, i think he keeps it to the K.I.S.S theme.
drider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 22:53   #6
GlockPride
Glock 23

Oh good, none of my shotguns are tactical. I thought one might have been, but after seeing his 'Thunder Ranch' emblazoned Marine gun, mine is not any more 'tricked' than his is.
Side saddle-check
Sling-check
TLR-1-check
Pistol Grip Butt Stock-check
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 21:22   #7
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Quote:
Oh good, none of my shotguns are tactical. I thought one might have been, but after seeing his 'Thunder Ranch' emblazoned Marine gun, mine is not any more 'tricked' than his is.
I thought he more or less used that as an example of an "elaborate" shotgun. Since he repeated it more than once while describing that particular 870 of his. Rather preferring 'plain-jane', stating "This is the way I buy them end use them", while holding up the simple wood-stocked example.

e⋅lab⋅o⋅rate: marked by excessive detail; complicated.
Old 01-11-2010, 23:14   #8
aippi

Dr. J Frame, you are correct. He left no doubt that the best fighting shotgun is a basic one.

I give my clients three important key points when asking me to build them a shotgun for HD. They are 1. Keep it basic 2. Keep it basic and 3. Keep it basic.

These videos where a great find. thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 01-11-2010, 23:18   #9
B Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
I don't build "Tacti-cool" or as I call them "Tacti-fool" shotguns.
Tactifool. NICE. Win.

bc
B Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 23:42   #10
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

I have been meaning to dump my Benelli forever in favor of an 870 but I just haven't gotten around to it. I am always on the hunt for the beat up old 870 for cheap.

MF
Old 01-12-2010, 01:35   #11
aippi

Hey David. Just read your piece on the .38. I often carry a S&W mod 36 in the summer and really enjoyed the read. I've had that little baby for 18 years. Anyway, Great common sence reading that can save your A double S if you understand it and accept the truth. Sad thing is to many people are influenced by the only things they see that envolve guns and that is T.V and Movies. There are idiots all over carrying S&W .50 cals and god knows what else.

I will refer people to that article as it is dead on and very well written.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 01-12-2010, 13:33   #12
David Armstrong

Thanks. I'm always open for additional articles to put up there if you are interested or know of anyone who is interested in writing something in that "mythology" format.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 17:31   #13
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Quote:
Hey David. Just read your piece on the .38. I often carry a S&W mod 36 in the summer and really enjoyed the read.
Yea, David, that was a good article. I'm a big fan of S&W Centennials and snub-noses in general(username). My shooting buddies consider them dinosaurs, but I consider 5-shot wheelguns as good, or better, then whatever the new thing is they're carrying this week.

"Simplicity means the achievement of maximum effect with minimum means."-Albert Einstein

LSWCHP+P for me also.
Tactical Shotguns
Old 01-13-2010, 08:38   #14
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J Frame View Post
Here's another one on shotguns in general. I've seen it linked here before. The basic premise is, "What you have is most times all you really need."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

I always need to hit pause for a short while to let the videos load. Then hit play.
Love the statement near the end "You don't need a $1,000 shotgun, you need to learn to run the one you got."

This is about as tacticool as I get. Mossberg 500 with 18.5" heavy wall barrel and accu-choke tubes in it.

Tactical Shotguns

The Remington 870 Express has a 20" slug barrel on it. No photos handy.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 19:45   #15
byf43
NRA Life Member

K.I.S.S.:

Tactical Shotguns
Tactical Shotguns

1980 model Remington 870 Wingmaster 'Police'. (According to the nice folks at Remington.)
Gunshow find, just as you see it. $210.00 OTD.
20" barrel. 2-3/4" chamber.
It had been fired no more than a couple of times.
The carrier (shell lifter) didn't even have a mark on it, from being loaded.

The owner's widow wanted nothing to do with this shotgun.

I do!!!!

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 23:36   #16
gnepig
Remember

I like Clint Smith, he seems like a down to earth dude that's smarter than he looks. The next 50 bucks I come across I'm goin to buy his shotgun video.

The wife and I watched this 7 part youtube series tonight, by Gunsite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMHR0VGXwG0&NR=1
It starts out kinda slow but ends up being pretty good and real informative (we especially liked the way they loaded the shells). They also used the 870s for demonstration, I might have to get one of these too...
gnepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 23:38   #17
EKUJustice

Always liked Clint. Doesnt promote all the tacticool gadgets mounted all over the gun that driver the price up or the person gets them and has not clue how to use them
EKUJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 23:52   #18
Dr. J Frame
LSWCHP +P

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKUJustice View Post
Always liked Clint. Doesnt promote all the tacticool gadgets mounted all over the gun that driver the price up or the person gets them and has not clue how to use them
His signature pistol follows the same simplicity, for a 1911. Single-sided safety, solid trigger, Series 70 internals, shipped with 7-round mags(as opposed to 8's), etc. A little spendy though on the Baer end. $2,000
Tactical Shotguns
Old 01-14-2010, 06:52   #19
Captain38

While I have a Scattergun Technologies 870 with all the extras, I have to agree with Clint that the Plain Jane 870 will get the job done. One just like the one he was caressing in the video kept me OUT OF more gunfights during my law enforcement career than I'd ever like to admit!
Captain38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 16:48   #20
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I love the very plain guns.
If I will buy a pump action (which may happen this year) I will look for the basic model of 870.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote