Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00   #1
mclaren

.22 LR Gold Dot

No such thing i know. Why is there not more rimfire defensive ammo variety? .22 LR ammo sales are booming and always has been. With all the conversions for practice and pocket pistols for defense why is there no innovation happening.

Why not a properly plated/bonded expanding bullet? The Beretta Bobcat in my pocket makes me yearn for better ammo than whats available. Has anyone else wondered this too?
mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 17:37   #2
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Well there are several choices for hollow points in .22LR, but the thing is with the velocities being so low, even a properly expanding bullet will not achieve sufficient penetration from the short barrel of a handgun. Typically, a decent hollow point will penetrate from 10 to 14 inches, but from a handgun you are lucky to see 8 or 9, assuming it expands.

CCI did develop a hollow point which initially was called their Gold Dot version of the .22, but eventually it phased out and they just started calling it the Velocitor. It is a hot 40 grain hollow point, and with a shallow cavity, expansion probably wont happen from a short barrel, which is an advantage. Not only that, but the extra velocity aids in penetration.

Other than that, I would stick to a round nosed bullet for defense. Something that is 100 percent reliable. I would recommend the CCI mini mag solids, but your results may vary.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:43   #3
ronin.45

If you must use a .22 for defense the CCI velocitor or stinger are the best going. I think that a proper jacket would be too strong to expand at pocket pistol velocities. It might also reduce weight too much since the copper is much lighter than lead and the jacket can only be so thin without getting shredded by the rifling.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:42   #4
rwrjr

Get some CCI MiniMags in 40gr round nose AND 36gr HP and you're pretty much covered for quality .22lr.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29   #5
mclaren

I am carrying some Yellow Jackets right now. I feel like they have a tad more zing to them than the Mini Mag. Stingers are really hard to find around here, I would prefer them.
It seems like the ammo manufacturers have compensated for every other weight/velocity challenge that has come up. There are lots of tough .17 HMR bullets in all varieties. Barnes has a .223 bullet that expands in 4 perfect petals. Slow .45 ACP rounds can be made to perform at low velocity. Maybe Im just beating a dead horse.

This just seems like a slow pitch over the plate for any company. This round appeals to tons of people of all age groups and income brackets. Hornady should make a Critical Defense .22LR. Wether or not it was effective, they could absolutely sell the ***** out of them.
mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 19:06   #6
unit1069

I recently got into .22lr, but haven't been able to locate any Velocitor or Stinger ammo. Sure would like to try some out. I have bought some Mini Mag and it shoots fine; I just wouldn't use .22lr for self defense unless it was absolutely necessary.

Question: is .22lr capable of taking out armadillos with one shot to the center of mass or are they too tough? I'm not a hunter but my buddy's farm is getting torn up by these creatures and he's recommended a weekend of mass extinction. I'm sure not going to spend a boatload of money on 9mm ammo; the .22lr seems just the ticket if it works.
Old 01-26-2010, 19:48   #7
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I'm sure not going to spend a boatload of money on 9mm ammo; the .22lr seems just the ticket if it works.
Wow, he must be facing quite a herd of those critters. You know, you can always sell the meat.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 22:13   #8
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Wow, he must be facing quite a herd of those critters. You know, you can always sell the meat.
Not being a hunter I have no idea how good my aim will be on a moving target and I'd rather not shoot up scarce and costly 9mm ammo. I don't know how prevalent those critters are on my buddy's 300 acres (1200, counting other adjacent family farms) but he says they're really digging the place up.

I had no idea there's a market for armadillo meat? For what, cat food? Chili parlors?

Anyway, will a good .22lr JHP from a Ruger Mark II w/6" barrel take out an armadillo?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09   #9
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
I had no idea there's a market for armadillo meat? For what, cat food? Chili parlors?

Anyway, will a good .22lr JHP from a Ruger Mark II w/6" barrel take out an armadillo?
I don't know how easy it is to penetrate their armor, but I'm guessing a .22 would do it.

People actually eat the things. Lots of recipes online. However, I wouldn't touch them without heavy rubber gloves -- there is a link to leprosy via contact.
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:56   #10
Bruce M

"I had no idea there's a market for armadillo meat?"

MMMmmmm Armadillo The other other other white meat
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 19:13   #11
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
People actually eat the things. Lots of recipes online. However, I wouldn't touch them without heavy rubber gloves -- there is a link to leprosy via contact.
Yes, I had read some time ago about the armadillo connection to leprosy but had forgotten it.

Now I'm really curious about the market for the meat! I'll bet zombie movie extras work for the meat only, guessing about one group.
Old 01-29-2010, 00:06   #12
Ak.Hiker

The 40 grain CCI Velocitor bullet is based on Gold Dot technology. The old package called them a Gold Dot. Either way they are a very good load. A real good choice for a 22 rifle. Good weight retention with some expansion. I like them in my 3 inch S&W 317 as well but doubt they will do much more than a Mini Mag in such a short barrel.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 16:51   #13
bambikilr

they are almost blind, head shot will stop them dead & yes, it will penatrate to the lungs, but i would shoot them in the head, heck i shot one with my bow & got a complete pass thru
bambikilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 15:39   #14
RustyShackelford
> OD Glock 32 <

What about those "Varmint Grenade" rounds I saw on YouTube...??

(Edit: I guess those are not in .22lr. But damn are they effective!)
TOP GUN 357SIG, Florida Glocker Clubs member #420

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, straight stock (so far)
----------------------------
Ray Zalinsky: "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."
RustyShackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 13:29   #15
Darkangel1846

Quote:
Yes, I had read some time ago about the armadillo connection to leprosy but had forgotten it.

Now I'm really curious about the market for the meat! I'll bet zombie movie extras work for the meat only, guessing about one group.
Only one other animal besides humans get Leprosy and that is the Armadillo. Because of that animal we now have effective treatments for that old disease.