Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2010, 21:19   #1
tjamazing

Results with Hornady 55GR FMJ-BT out of an AR?

I'm just wondering what kind of groups people are getting with these off of a rest/scoped. I'm looking for a cheap plinking AR round that is more accurate than the Winchester or Remington 55gr options.

Can this round come in at or under an inch at 100 if I do due dilligence tuning the load?

Reloading

Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...ber=1165165907

Thanks!
tjamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 21:47   #2
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

There are several theories that BT bullets aren't as accurate as flat base bullets. I'm not sure I subscribe to those theories but I do know the my Sako bolt doesn't like 'em... not nearly as much as 52 and 55 grain flat base.

Every barrel is different and different powders will produce vastly different results with different combinations. That's the fun of working up the most accurate load possible... takes a long time but what else ya got to do?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 22:01   #3
tyger006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjamazing View Post

Can this round come in at or under an inch at 100 if I do due dilligence tuning the load?
Short answer: YES!

Details:
My CZ bolt loves these and is capable of sub .5 MOA groups with dead rest and me doing my part. My 16" RRA AR-15 loves these as well and consistently dials in at 3/4-1/2 MOA with dead rest and 4x optic at 100 yards.

I love these bullets and only wish I would have bought 20k so that I don't run the risk of getting an off batch! My results with Armscor fmj bullets have been roughly 1.5-2x the group size for both guns. Still acceptable for plinking rounds, but with the Hornady bullets only slightly more expensive, I now hold out for them to fill my .224 fmj needs.

My best results were using Win Commercial 1x brass and TAC. Can't wait to see what my Dad's RRA Varmint rifle can do with these.

While I do notice a slight difference from my nosler BT and Sierra matchkings, these bullets still match or exceed my everyday rifle skill/needs for target rounds. Near match quality with FMJ pricing, what's not to love? Get some and get loading!

Good luck,
Tyger
tyger006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 22:58   #4
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I get good results from my AR's with these and Varget. Makes for a fairly inexpensive range fodder round.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:24   #5
dudel

My first loads with these projectiles gave me a five shot group with the holes touching. This was a 25yrd with a red dot sight and rest. The powder was Varget and the barrel is a 1:9 twist. Yes, I think it will hold well out to 100 yrds. Should get better when I get a set of low profile ear protection. My current ones made it hard to get a good cheek weld.

I just put in an order for more of them from Midsouth. $18/250 as I recall. They shipped yesterday.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 22:32   #6
tjamazing

Thanks to all for the feedback. It's good to hear consistently good news about these.
tjamazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:22   #7
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjamazing View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback. It's good to hear consistently good news about these.

Remember, not every rifle will shoot one hole groups with Match bullets let alone an inexpensive FMJ. I shoot these out of my Colt HBAR II with only OK results. Granted I haven't tried every powder on my shelf yet, but so far my results are only fair.

This is about average at 100 yards with Hornady 55gr FMJ.
Reloading

This is typical with 52gr Nosler CC 2nds.
Reloading
steve4102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:09   #8
tyger006

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
Remember, not every rifle will shoot one hole groups with Match bullets let alone an inexpensive FMJ. I shoot these out of my Colt HBAR II with only OK results. Granted I haven't tried every powder on my shelf yet, but so far my results are only fair.

This is about average at 100 yards with Hornady 55gr FMJ.
Reloading

This is typical with 52gr Nosler CC 2nds.
Reloading

Nice second group!

It is true, not all guns like the same loads. The advantage of trying some cheap fmj is that if they work out, you have a cheap accurate go-to bullet.

Reloading is so rewarding when you achieve your goals with a particular load.

Tyger
tyger006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hornady 55gr