Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-19-2010, 20:06   #1
GVFlyer

Most Reliable Kimber?

I am deeply conflicted. I have the opportunity to purchase a Kimber, any Kimber, at a deep discount. I have been a very vocal critic of Kimber .45s after having a less than desirable experience with a Raptor - but I hate to miss out on an exceptional deal.

Sooo, I think that I want to take advantage of this opportunity, but use absolute reliability as the sole determinant for pistol selection. Which model is the most reliable Kimber?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 20:27   #2
curriek

I'm sure there have been people that have had issues with every model, but I've heard good things about their plain Kimber Custom II model. I owned a Warrior not too long ago and I really liked it. No malfunctions or problems and very accurate. Kinda wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.
curriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 20:37   #3
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

I'd pick my favorite 5" model then throw out the magazine that it comes with and replace with a Wilson or round metal follower mag by Metalform.

What are you interested in?

The CDP is a really well setup lightweight carry gun.

The Eclipse 10MM is an awesome platform for that versatile cartridge.

The TLE or TLE/RL is a great value with a nice set of features.

Anyway those are a few that I like and own personally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 20:42   #4
AZ Husker

Most reliable are the 5" guns.
Old 01-19-2010, 20:43   #5
Brass Nazi
NO BRASS FOR U!

I have experience with two. One was a very nice shooting gold match that was reliable and accurate. The other was a CDP that was a complete POS. The only thing nice about it was the frontstrap checkering. It jammed a lot was reasonably accurate but I could not shoot 10 shot groups because the POS kept jamming. I thought I might be limp wristing or something but I shot a Colt lightweight commander without any problems.

That is my limited experience with them as after a 50% success rate I determined that I would prefer a real 1911 instead a highly marketed but poorly made pistol.
Old 01-19-2010, 20:44   #6
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

It would probably be the standard kimber.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 21:07   #7
glock2740
Gun lover.

I've had good luck with all 8 of my Kimbers, ranging from Ultras, Pro and Customs. Pick one you like, and get some Wilson or especially some Tripp Cobra mags and you'll be set. I've had the best luck using Tripp mags in many different 1911's.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 21:28   #8
flynlead

Take this for what it's worth but I have spent the last few months researching and talking to a lot of people on 1911's and I would say 90% of the people I talked to said the 5" will be more reliable and the custom II kept being recomended over and over so that is what I came home with. So far I love it and will probably go back and get a 3" as well. Every gun manufacture has had an issue of some sort at one time or another. I had a Colt which left a bad taste in my mouth so now I'm trying Kimber but I would not hesitate in buying another Colt if a deal came along.
flynlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 21:31   #9
decibels5

my first

kimber ultra carry. 150 rds no hickups. I know its not alot, but the first 100 rds lets me know how reliable a gun is probably gonna be.
decibels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 21:45   #10
GVFlyer

I just got back from looking at Kimbers. The Compact CDP II looked well executed, but breaks my prime directive of never buying a smaller than Commander size 1911. The barrel on the brand new Custom II I looked at was rusting - I don't know what to make of that. I liked the look and feel of the Eclipse Target II.

Old 01-19-2010, 21:55   #11
samuse

I'd go with a CustomII. Have [reputable] gunsmith remove all the Swartz safety stuff and do a little reliability tune with your mags and ammo. I wouldn't toss the Kimber mag either. I had a CustomII that went about a thousand rounds without a malfunction through the one 7 round mag it came with. Sold it to a buddy. Had to have a retro 1911.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 22:09   #12
bac1023

All three of mine have been perfect. Beautiful guns too.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 22:51   #13
Screaming .357G
598ci big block

Send a message via AIM to Screaming .357G
TLE or Warrior
Old 01-20-2010, 00:49   #14
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
All three of mine have been perfect. Beautiful guns too.
Beautiful is right.

Old 01-20-2010, 00:52   #15
MD357

Personally I'd get the Warrior b/c it is the only one built correctly.

I think the goofy SIS Super duper ultra operator one is too but I just couldn't bear those cocking serrations.
MD357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:25   #16
coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Most reliable are the 5" guns.
Agreed. My Kimber Compact I runs great. But, my Kimber Target II ran even better with SWC.

Dump the cheap stock Kimber mags and run Wilson 47D, CMC Power Mags or Tripp. Novak/ACT mags have always run 100% for me as well. My Kimber KimPro mags, too.

|
|
|
|
(
/
) |
|
|
coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:18   #17
paul45
old crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I am deeply conflicted. I have the opportunity to purchase a Kimber, any Kimber, at a deep discount. I have been a very vocal critic of Kimber .45s after having a less than desirable experience with a Raptor - but I hate to miss out on an exceptional deal.
If you are so vocally critical of Kimber, why suddenly have a change of heart......because of a few dollars?

Do you happen to be in public office and reside in Washington?
paul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:33   #18
Boost_Junkie
Mike November

My vote is for the Ultra Covert.

Manny
Boost_Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:40   #19
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
If you are so vocally critical of Kimber, why suddenly have a change of heart......because of a few dollars?

Do you happen to be in public office and reside in Washington?
choked on my coffee...
Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59   #20
cyberiad

If you think the Kimber might not run well or you hate MIM or hate the company or whatever it is get a Custom II if you still decide to spend the money.

If I were in your position I wouldn't put more money in to one of the more costly models, even at a discount, and I don't think most of the features are necessary or worth the money, personally. Obviously, that's just an opinion. If you want a magwell, for example, you can always add it later. The pistol will probably work well; if it doesn't, it doesn't. There is no way to tell in advance no matter how many other people have put hundreds of rounds through theirs with no issues.

Based on what I have personally owned I think the Custom II is a higher quality pistol than, say, the SA "loaded." I sold my Custom II but still have a Kimber 9mm that actually does what I expect it to do. I'm not interested in arguing about MIM and related crap because for 99.999% of pistol owners it just doesn't matter.
cyberiad is offline   Reply With Quote