Old 01-19-2010, 23:05   #1
cowboy1964

.45 ACP vs .45 GAP or... "why the .45 GAP?" post

How do they compare in the following areas:

- recoil
- flip
- noise
- muzzle flash

I would think GAP would be more recoil, flip, and noise, in comparable guns, since it operates at higher pressure. About the only real difference is you can get a smaller grip. Is there any other real advantage to GAP?

I've only shot a few .45 ACPs (G30/G36, some old 1911) and the flash from the Glocks was substantial. Was using Blazer aluminum rounds. Are the 3.78" barrels just too short? How long would the barrel have to be to eliminate the flash (or reduce it substantially)?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 23:50   #2
Glolt20-91

Recoil is based upon bullet weight/velocity, amount of powder needed to achieve MV and firearm weight.

There are formulas and recoil charts, I figure it the old fashioned way; software.

Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:53   #3
rns-glock37

before you beat me up let me say from the start that i'm not an expert at all. i've shot both the acp and the gap and i can say both are very accurate. i'm a little more accurate with the gap and i've noticed that the gap has less perceived recoil than the acp. ballistically speaking from what i've read and learned is that the gap is at worst equal to acp and in a lot of cases is actually better. the gap is slightly behind +p acp. the big advantage of the gap is the smaller grip. the gap grip is even smaller than the sf line of glocks in acp. the acp is a proven round with a very long and rich history. i don't believe that it will ever go away; however, the gap is a more modern round using todays technology and is a viable alternative for those who want 45 caliber but has smaller hands. the gap also comes in all three sizes- full, compact, and a true sub compact. in essence one is not better than the other it just gives the would be gun owner an additional option in the 45 caliber. just my .02
rns-glock37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 17:05   #4
gary newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
How do they compare in the following areas:

- recoil
- flip
- noise
- muzzle flash

I would think GAP would be more recoil, flip, and noise, in comparable guns, since it operates at higher pressure. About the only real difference is you can get a smaller grip. Is there any other real advantage to GAP?

I've only shot a few .45 ACPs (G30/G36, some old 1911) and the flash from the Glocks was substantial. Was using Blazer aluminum rounds. Are the 3.78" barrels just too short? How long would the barrel have to be to eliminate the flash (or reduce it substantially)?
Recoil is not directly determined by the working pressure of a cartridge. Consider that the 9mm works at a considerably higher pressure than either of the .45s.

I find little difference in recoil, flip or noise between the .45 ACP and .45 GAP when using comparable loads. Muzzle flash is often greater with shorter barrels for a given load, but the type of propellant used in different loads also plays a role. Incidentally, I haven't found muzzle flash to be a big issue in either the G30 or G39.

Some premium defense ammo claims to have reduced muzzle flash.

The main advantage of the .45 GAP is that it allows .45 ACP performance in a 9mm-sized frame. It does that well.

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 17:20   #5
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

Quote:
Originally Posted by rns-glock37 View Post
before you beat me up let me say from the start that i'm not an expert at all. i've shot both the acp and the gap and i can say both are very accurate. i'm a little more accurate with the gap and i've noticed that the gap has less perceived recoil than the acp. ballistically speaking from what i've read and learned is that the gap is at worst equal to acp and in a lot of cases is actually better. the gap is slightly behind +p acp. the big advantage of the gap is the smaller grip. the gap grip is even smaller than the sf line of glocks in acp. the acp is a proven round with a very long and rich history. i don't believe that it will ever go away; however, the gap is a more modern round using todays technology and is a viable alternative for those who want 45 caliber but has smaller hands. the gap also comes in all three sizes- full, compact, and a true sub compact. in essence one is not better than the other it just gives the would be gun owner an additional option in the 45 caliber. just my .02
Well said!
Old 01-20-2010, 20:06   #6
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary newport View Post
The main advantage of the .45 GAP is that it allows .45 ACP performance in a 9mm-sized frame. It does that well.
Yup!

And I think that when the grip frame better fits the shooters hand, the gun is more pleasant to shoot, and more shootable.

Caliber Corner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 20:10   #7
Berto
woo woo

The more, the merrier.
Celebrate diversity.
Old 01-20-2010, 22:59   #8
G8Kpr
Sheep Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
And I think that when the grip frame better fits the shooters hand, the gun is more pleasant to shoot, and more shootable.
This is what I've found, and why I've dropped everything out of my SD battery except full frame 1911's (5" & Commanders) and mid-frame Glocks - the best of which, FOR ME, is the Glock 38.

I am most confident, comfortable, and competent day-to-day with the G38 platform / caliber combination of all the various makes and models I've carried, and that's what makes it the right choice for me. Just my $0.02.
G38 - the PERFECT marriage of the G19 and the Para LTC; Bull Dawg Club #3845
The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by G8Kpr; 01-21-2010 at 16:56..
G8Kpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:33   #9
CB lastmanout

Wow, I own and shoot 37 and 38 glock 45 GAP pistols. They function flawless and are accurate (even my handloads). I owned 40's (3) and the muzzle blast and recoil speed 'seems' less with the GAP. The small grip fits my hand better than any 1911's I owned (6). The 38 is my chosen carry piece also. Nice to see others share my veiw of this competent yet hated calliber.
CB lastmanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:10   #10
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by packinaglock View Post
Well said!
shouldbewrittenwellsaid
Old 01-22-2010, 16:04   #11
gary newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Yup!

Caliber Corner
Hi, Butch!

Lately, I've been shooting more .45 ACP (through a G21SF) than .45 GAP for two reasons: first, I want to conserve my small pistol primer supply and second, I shot the last IDPA match in CDP (which requires .45 ACP). The G21SF is a great pistol--but I like the G37 more because it fits my hand better and just seems better balanced!

Unfortunately, I can only shoot GAP Glocks in IDPA SSP (or ESP), against folks shooting 9mm bunny-fart loads. In desperation, I've started reloading 9mm () and working with my G34s. Of course, that means I'll be dipping into my supply of small pistol primers!

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote