Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2010, 16:38   #1
willowofwisp

Glock 19rtf2 reloading 9mm issues

Hey guys, i have been reloading .45's and .38's for awhile now and i just started doing 9mm's for my new glock. I am having a few issues though and can't figure out whats going on, i am running 115gr tmj berry's bullets with 5.5 grains of silhouette powder. I loaded up about 15-20 rounds and made sure they were the same size as my factory federal 115gr bullets using a caliper but i am having an issue, the bullets are not wanting to extract or feed, it seems the bullets are hitting the feed ramp and they just don't want to extract?

any helpful tips? im thinking its got to be the sizing or the crimp, the loads are def. hot enough.

thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 18:22   #2
RLDS45S

Your COAL is too long for that bullet you are loading. The bullet as us suspect is engaging the lands of the bbl causing your troubles. BTW, Berry's are plated not Total Metal Jacketed bullets. So, what you can consider is using your bbl as a drop in chamber to work a COAL out that drops in and then falls out of the chamber.
RLDS45S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 18:32   #3
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I load all my 9mm to 1.130 OAL regardless of the powder used. When asking questions when I first stated loading the 9mm, many stated that was the OAL they used cause just about any Glock or other 9mm with devour them at that length. I have to agree at this point after my own experamentation
I start at the minimum data cross referencing several sources and work up from there. The OAL for you factory loads may not work with the Berry's RN profile. Also, are you case gauging your completed rounds?
Old 01-20-2010, 21:03   #4
willowofwisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
I load all my 9mm to 1.130 OAL regardless of the powder used. When asking questions when I first stated loading the 9mm, many stated that was the OAL they used cause just about any Glock or other 9mm with devour them at that length. I have to agree at this point after my own experamentation
I start at the minimum data cross referencing several sources and work up from there. The OAL for you factory loads may not work with the Berry's RN profile. Also, are you case gauging your completed rounds?
alright i will try working from there, maybe it wasn't the best idea to compare them to a factory load.

My friend actually owns Michigan ammo and reloading company which is where i got my bullets so maybe ill give him a call and find out what specs he uses, i have shot his reloads which work well.
Old 01-20-2010, 21:26   #5
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
alright i will try working from there, maybe it wasn't the best idea to compare them to a factory load.

My friend actually owns Michigan ammo and reloading company which is where i got my bullets so maybe ill give him a call and find out what specs he uses, i have shot his reloads which work well.
You can only use a factory round as a guide, you are NOT using the identical bullet. They are likely too long or not enough taper crimp. Bullet shape matters as much as weight in getting the OAL right.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote