SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2010, 13:38   #1
Cole125
Silver Membership

Best .357 mag load for woods carry?

The title says it all. I carry my S&W 686 with me hiking and backpacking, and need some suggestions on a good cartridge to carry.

My main concern is two legged tweakers, but I want the best chance of stopping any animals that present a danger. Around here the black bears are pretty small, there are also wild boars and mountain lions. Before its suggested, I know a .44 mag would be a better option.

So lets hear your opinions...
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 13:46   #2
MURRAY

I would have no issues with 158 Speer Gold Dot
180 or 200 grain hardcast or a nice heavy XTP load

I use 158 GD or 180 Hardcast in my model 28 my dad has same loads in his 686 and 681

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he is vigilant in its preservation" General Douglas MacArthur
MURRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 13:48   #3
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

The compromise for me is a 158 grain XTP going about 1,250 fps out of my 4" 686.

I think 125's would be better for 2-legged goblins, and a 180 grainer from a longer barrel would be best for Colorado critters. With a 4" barrel though, the velocity of the 180's is low enough that I don't see a benefit over the 158's, so again, it's a compromise.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 15:23   #4
Scott 10mm

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=337

This is as good as it gets for in the woods.
Old 01-20-2010, 19:11   #5
Berto
woo woo

Another vote for a good middleweight load like the 158gr Gold Dot or other modern jhp.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 21:41   #6
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 10mm View Post
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=337

This is as good as it gets for in the woods.
That's impressive.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 21:59   #7
mitchshrader
Deceased

If you're talking commercial, something 180 grain full power, and if you're reloading, a hard cast flat nose gas check 200 grain that's barely subsonic, 1050ish. Being able to stay on target one handed matters, and so does substantial penetration. Any load sufficient to stop a medium sized black bear is going to be a handful. Some practice is recommended.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:31   #8
Brucev

If your concern focuses on dealing with some sort of potential criminal assault, load your .357 with 125 gr. JHP and zero at 25 yds. If such a sad situation should develop, do your best to avoid a confrontation. Try to walk away. But if all else fails, the 125 gr. JHP in .357 has a well established record of being highly effective (+94% one shot stops) in SD.

If your concern is dealing with a violent encounter with a animal, consider what is the worst case possibility you might face, i.e., what is the largest most dangerous potential animal you might have to confront. Then select a load that will best handle that potential concern. A 158 gr. JHP will offer excellent penetration on muscle and bone allowing effective hits fired from less than optimum angles.

Since 1980 either a 4" or 6" S&W .357 Magnum revolver has been my preferred revolver for carrying when roaming the woods, fields, etc. I have generally kept it loaded with 158 gr. JHP ammo. It has always been extremely effective on dealing with feral dogs and small and medium sized game. I would not hesitate to rely upon it for hog and deer hunting. HTH. Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:58   #9
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper

My 4" 686 is my constant companion in the field. I use American Eagle (Federal generic brand) 158gr. JSP. They offer better penetration than a JHP, but with the SP, it flattens with less of a chance of overpenetration like you get with FMJ.

I'm more concerned about a 4 legged attack where I go. I've seen some pretty big black bears and of course the cats are always a concern in Colorado.
so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 19:20   #10
dougader

Yeah, for black bear I'd rather have a 158 jsp than a jhp bullet. If I thought the bear was more of a likelihood, then I'd go for a hardcast slug.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 21:09   #11
Ak.Hiker

When I carry my 357 Magnum in the woods in the winter I load it with a good 158 grain JSP. The Federal American Eagle is a good choice. I use the Speer 158 grain Unicore myself. If the bears are out it would be a hot 180 grain cast load. Your needs are a little more complicated than mine. Not to many criminals out in the woods in the winter time around here. I think the suggestion of the 158 grain JSP with a lot of exposed lead is a good compromise. So is the 158 grain Gold Dot or XTP. You could load up with a mix of 158 grain JHP's and JSP loads. Go for some expansion and good penetration with the JHP with a mix of deeper penetration JSP loads. I would not waste my money on fancy speciality loads unless you were in an area that did not allow lead. Then it would be the 125 grain X bullet loads like the CorBon 125 grain DPX.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 00:05   #12
carbofan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReaper View Post
My 4" 686 is my constant companion in the field. I use American Eagle (Federal generic brand) 158gr. JSP. They offer better penetration than a JHP, but with the SP, it flattens with less of a chance of overpenetration like you get with FMJ.

I'm more concerned about a 4 legged attack where I go. I've seen some pretty big black bears and of course the cats are always a concern in Colorado.
that federal (american eagle) 158 grain soft point is stout! that load recoils like no other in my 3" 686+. a good, accurate load, but a real handful

if you want something a bit more mild, see if you can find some 158 grain fiocchi with the XTP. they cost about $27 per 50 round box, very accurate and pretty easy to shoot.
carbofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote