Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:44   #1
cali92rs

454 LFCD Issues

I got my bullet seating die set to the length I want. But I am having problems with the crimp die.
I set it up per the lee videos recommendation (raise ram, screw in die untill it touches the shell holder, tighten lockring, lower ram, place in shellholder cartridge with seated bullet, raise ram, tighten knurled part of die untill it stops, lower ram, again tighten die 1/2 turn or tighter depending on preference of crimp, then raise ram to crimp).
Well, when i am finished with the process and i raise the ram to finally complete the crimping process, the catridge stops about 3/4 within the die, and if I raise the ram any further, the bullet gets seated further, which I dont want.
What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to just raise the ram untill the die "kisses" the cartridge?

Ive used the same technique for my 10mm and 45ACP and have had no problems with them...granted they are taper crimp and not roll crimp. Is there something different required with roll crimping?
cali92rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 14:16   #2
fredj338

Lead bullets in 45colt or 454? Ditch the LFCD, go w/ a standard roll crimp. They just don;t work well w/ lead bullets. If you want to use it, back it off until you just get a crimp.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 14:49   #3
cali92rs

Nope, not lead bullets...
Hornady 300 gr XTP bullets which are fully jacketed.
Old 01-21-2010, 15:50   #4
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali92rs View Post
I got my bullet seating die set to the length I want. But I am having problems with the crimp die.
I set it up per the lee videos recommendation (raise ram, screw in die untill it touches the shell holder, tighten lockring, lower ram, place in shellholder cartridge with seated bullet, raise ram, tighten knurled part of die untill it stops, lower ram, again tighten die 1/2 turn or tighter depending on preference of crimp, then raise ram to crimp).
Well, when i am finished with the process and i raise the ram to finally complete the crimping process, the catridge stops about 3/4 within the die, and if I raise the ram any further, the bullet gets seated further, which I dont want.
What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to just raise the ram untill the die "kisses" the cartridge?

Ive used the same technique for my 10mm and 45ACP and have had no problems with them...granted they are taper crimp and not roll crimp. Is there something different required with roll crimping?
Obviously something is not right. If you can put a case in the shellholder and raise the ram so that the cartridge goes into the case with no resistance AND THEN add only 1/2 a turn on the top part it should never seat the bullet. Thats just not right. Are you sure you have a FCD and not a seating die in there. Are you sure you haven't messed something up. If everything is fine until you add that 1/2 turn and then it's all wrong then thats amazing. My guess is that it's more then that. Back that adjuster out all the way. Put a case in the shellholder, raise the ram, tighten it till you feel resistance. Adjust your crimp from that point.
Old 01-21-2010, 16:24   #5
cali92rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Obviously something is not right. If you can put a case in the shellholder and raise the ram so that the cartridge goes into the case with no resistance AND THEN add only 1/2 a turn on the top part it should never seat the bullet. Thats just not right. Are you sure you have a FCD and not a seating die in there. Are you sure you haven't messed something up. If everything is fine until you add that 1/2 turn and then it's all wrong then thats amazing. My guess is that it's more then that. Back that adjuster out all the way. Put a case in the shellholder, raise the ram, tighten it till you feel resistance. Adjust your crimp from that point.
Colorado...I am not not 100% sure its the FCD and not the seater (about 98.9%). I stuuuuupidly mixed them up and had to ask on another site which one was which.
Old 01-21-2010, 16:30   #6
Colorado4Wheel

This is easy. THe FCD has a carbide ring at the bottom. It looks like the sizing die. Seating die has a taper on it with no carbide ring. FCD will be much smaller at the mouth then the seating die.
Old 01-21-2010, 16:35   #7
cali92rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
This is easy. THe FCD has a carbide ring at the bottom. It looks like the sizing die. Seating die has a taper on it with no carbide ring. FCD will be much smaller at the mouth then the seating die.
B1tchin, thanks...Will triple check when i get home from "work"
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10   #8
cali92rs

Well Colorado, you were correct, I was using the seating die

Everything seems squared away now...thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 09:01   #9
Colorado4Wheel

No Problem. I just want extra credit for helping someone who uses a FCD.