Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2010, 20:06   #1
NRV Shooter

Forty-five minute Concealed Carry class

A friend and I recently took a "Concealed Carry" class that lasted all of forty-five minutes. The class was sanctioned by a prominent gun shop in a good-sized city in Virginia. The class cost "$50.00 cash only" and had five students in it; my friend and I, a young woman, and a young couple who brought their firearms to class and were obviously unfamiliar with them or firearms in general. My friend and I are safety conscious long-time gun owners and shooters.

The instructor had a few pages of printed hand-out material which was taken directly from the Virginia State Police web site and would have taken me about two minutes to find on the internet. He had us sign the obligatory waiver, then signed and handed out our "certificates" and said we could leave if we so chose, or stay for the "class". He had an S&W 442 and an older S&W auto he used to briefly demonstrate safe gun handling. He had a few different cartridges on the desk and briefly discusses .22's, .40 calibers, 9mm's, and .45's. He spent a few minutes discussion the upcoming changes to laws governing firearms on the Blue Ridge Parkway which is close by. The class started at 4:30 and at 5:45 he was finished, and that included doing all of the preparatory paper work. He had another class scheduled to start at 5:30 so I know he had only alloted one hour max for our class.

My friend and I feel we paid $50.00 for a piece of paper we can take to the Circuit Clerk and apply for a Concealed Carry permit, and that's all. We both were expecting a more in-depth class dealing with overall firearms handling and safety. Were we expecting too much for our $50.00, or is what we got typical of most Concealed Carry classes?
NRV Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 20:26   #2
swotivated

That sucks.

What kind of research did you do? Why didn't you ask for your money back if you weren't satisfied? I could see this as being a good deal, but if you weren't happy with it you shouldn't have shelled out $50.

Of course, if you don't fully understand the safe handling of your weapon you should go back and see a competent instructor.
swotivated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 20:47   #3
Bobshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by swotivated View Post
Why didn't you ask for your money back if you weren't satisfied?
Cause if he asked for his money back the instructor would of torn up the training card and he couldn't get his carry permit.
Old 02-14-2010, 20:53   #4
1108VA

I think the problem is that the only requirement is a basic safety class. Some instructors do the minimum. I even heard of taking the safety class on line and printing out a certificate. What about hands on shooting? How about clearing a jam? They should have an attorney come in and talk to students about what to do in the event they are in a deadly force situation. Some of these instructors are just in it for the money.
1108VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 20:59   #5
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRV Shooter View Post
My friend and I feel we paid $50.00 for a piece of paper we can take to the Circuit Clerk and apply for a Concealed Carry permit, and that's all.
That's pretty much it. The piece of paper gives you the formal right to apply for a permit; everything else is your own responsibility - learning the laws, choosing the right holster, practicing, cleaning your weapon...

Same way the $50 (or whatever it is these days) you pay for a driver's licence gives you the right to drive on public roads, that's all. It is your own responsibility to become a safe driver.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:27   #6
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Did he meet the requirements for the state in presenting the class?

'Drew
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:52   #7
bambikilr

mine was 8 hours, an entire sat...heard of a few that were 4 hours...i would at least inquire more in your area about this guy & as stated, ask for some cash back...explain you took a noob in or whatever, just doesn't seem right...but, being around & shooting guns for over 35 years, i would like that class...but....shouldn't be that way....even for those who have been around & know what they are doing...my .02
bambikilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:51   #8
Currahee
NRA Member

If you are looking for something a bit more in depth you could try the one I took. It lasted 3 years and included a 12 month combat deployment. See your local Army recruiter for details.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38   #9
NRV Shooter

The "research" I did was ask the instructor, who also sells guns in the fairly prominent gun shop, about the class and he said it lasted "about 3 hours" and was $50.00 up front. No problem with that.

I fully understand the safe handling of MY weapon, but it seems a lot of inexperienced people may not get what they need from this guy's class.

Bobshouse, you got it!

I paid my $50.00 and got a piece of paper to take to the Circuit Clerk "verifying" that I was "proficient" in handgun safety and deserving of a CCW permit. I understand that's what I paid for and what I got, and that the rest of the responsibility is mine. No problem there.

The "requirements" for the class are very vague regarding content and time. The Circuit Clerk even said a valid hunting license would suffice as "proof of proficiency".

Agreed bambikilr.

It's no big deal. I needed something to show the Circuit Clerk and I got it for $50.00, cheap enough. The additional training I might need I can get off the internet, off of video's, out of books, or by attending a reputable class designed to offer more in depth handgun shooting and safety, and not especially geared toward CCW.

I was hoping to get some comments from some instructors who teach the class, so they could compare what they offer with what I got. Maybe they are all the same. A done deal now.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01   #10
oldsoldier

MO requires 8 hours of training which must include class room and range qualification. Most I've seen were about 4 hours classroom and then four hours on the range. I've seen the cost anywhere from $15 to $150. The state does not regulate the class fee and some instructors only charge enough to pay for coffee, targets, etc. I agree that you didn't get much for $50.
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:38   #11
David Armstrong

Quote:
Were we expecting too much for our $50.00, or is what we got typical of most Concealed Carry classes?
I don't think you were expecting too much, and I don't think what you got was typical. IMO, what you got was a guy who cared more about getting his fee than providing training.
FWIW, my shortest BASIC CCW course is approximately 8 hours.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51   #12
area727
G23

The place I am going to be attending a CCW class at, has a 4 hour class room session for around $70.00. But for $120.00 I'll be also taking the self defense class in addition to the CCW class, which includes range time. So i'll be getting a full days (8 hours) worth.
area727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20   #13
sciolist

I did an 8 hour class too, with about 6 hours of sit-down and 300 rounds on the range. Wanted to start off on the right foot.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Our state requirements don't specify a duration or curriculum for the class.<o:p></o:p>
I will definitely be returning for more instruction, just wanted to get the CHL application in over the winter.<o:p></o:p>
Seems like, if you know what you’re doing, would be OK to fulfill the requirements by path of least resistance. In my case, quality of instruction was an important issue, though.<o:p></o:p>
sciolist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 13:07   #14
NRV Shooter

oldsoldier, David, area 727, and sciolist, thanks for the feedback.

I guess I did get to the permit application stage by the shortest path, and the cheapest.

I have been shooting for over 45 years but am by no means any expert on anything, although I do consider myself extremely safety conscious.

I guess now I'll find a reputable self-defense oriented gun class and take that. It is hard to beat properly structured, organized, professional instruction. Maybe they'll teach me to get over that bad habit of pulling down on the initial double action first shot!
Old 02-16-2010, 13:13   #15
jsnake

NRV shooter,

Where was this class? Who taught the class? What funshop "sponsored" this class. I am in Blacksburg. Just wondering.

Joe
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 13:20   #16
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Arkansas has a curriculum and minimum requirements. That guy would lose his instructors license for putting on a class like that here!!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 19:16   #17
NRV Shooter

jsnake, I sent you a PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 23:17   #18
HollowHead
Firm member

While I live in MT, I took my course in WY for schedule reasons. Both states require NRA Basic Pistol and it turned out to be about eight hours. An added bonus was that Tom Knapp was giving a demonstration at the same range and we got to watch him. Good course taught by Glock fans. HH
Old 02-19-2010, 14:00   #19
dbrook67

My OHIO CCW course was taught at a range owned by a LEO and taught by a certified NRA instructor. Great part about the 16 hour class was that for 4 of those hours a real-live District Attorney came in and discussed the laws and consequences.

Well worth my $125.

Doug
dbrook67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 19:03   #20
oldsoldier

My class was taught by the Pulaski County Sheriff's Department and it cost $100 for the 8 hour course. I chose them for my class because they used the money to buy needed equipment for the department like body armor. Besides, who is going to question their training when the sheriff is the one who issues the permit.
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote