Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2010, 17:59   #1
cphilip

I need a case for an AR

Something for trunk carry in a Crown Vic cruiser.

Really need a Padded case or bag with a few mag slots would be nice. Black.

Must fit a 16" barrel Bushmaster M4 A2 that then has an optic on top of the handle about size of an ACOG.

That measurement from the bottom of the pistol grip to the turret of the scope is 12" high at the highest points, so should be a bit deeper than that to close properly and easily, and it comes in about 33 inches long with the stock tucked in.

Recommend me one or link me. Need to get one on the way pretty quick but need to know it will fit before I order it.
Old 01-21-2010, 20:36   #2
dlupini
Capt

Send a message via AIM to dlupini
pelican case. I love my 1720.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1720.htm
Old 01-21-2010, 20:49   #3
Norcal911

I use a pelican as well. It's big, heavy, and expensive.......but it works. My buddies with soft cases, they're guns get chewed up, their Eotechs/Aimpoints are always off etc etc. I highly recommend the pelican for duty carry in a Crown Vic. There's just too much crap back there banging around and too much driving like an A hole to have it in anything else but a hard case. I put it in a rack up front but not all of the cruisers are outfitted with racks so it frequently ends up at the ready in the pelican. I did some cutouts for mags and I run a ready mag so its always ready with 60 rounds at a minimum and I can grab a few more if I remember or its necasary-Norcal911
Norcal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 21:01   #4
cphilip

Great.

I have used Pelicans for other things in the past so sounds a great recommendation to me. The 1720 sure looks like the right dimension to do everything without taking the optic off to store too. Going to nose around for a retailer that close or has some sort of shipping deal and likely get some foam into it too.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-21-2010, 22:26   #5
jimmz

Take a look at the Midway 35" rifle case. It has 6 AR mag pouches on the front and is only $35. Its really high quality for the price.
Mossberg 500A Tactical
RRA CAR A4
jimmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:44   #6
dlupini
Capt

Send a message via AIM to dlupini
you can get them with foam pre-cut for your rifle. or they will do custom foam.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/m4sopmod.htm
Old 01-22-2010, 11:34   #7
Daekwan
Colts & Glocks!

I picked up this one from Primary Arms.. for the price it was unbeatable ($70)

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.s...&categoryId=19

Tac Force 36 Inch Discreet Soft Gun Case (Black)

T.T.S. Discreet Soft Gun Cases have a proven track record of durability and quality used by law enforcement and military personnel. Each case is manufactured using 900 Denier materials, high-quality components, heavy duty stitching plus the material is treated with DuPont Teflon to ensure product durability and longevity. Each case has a secondary compartment to stow additional magazine pouches, handgun or gear. Each T.T.S. case comes equipped with a padded shoulder strap, removable AR magazine pouch that holds 3 USGI magazines, and pistol sleeve. Will accommodate: AK47, MAK90, M4, AR-15, and Mini-14 folding stock rifles. Dimensions are 36 x 12 x 3.
Daekwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:59   #8
31F20

Uncle Mikes

Sportmans Warehouse
$27
Exactly what you described.
Your stock must be all the way in for it to fit.
It works for me.
Old 01-22-2010, 13:42   #9
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

This is an item you will have for a long time.

If you EVER think about traveling by airplane, buy one that can be used to fly.
I have a nice hard case (I can't remember the name). It has done a lot of traveling. I never cut the foam, I just lay the gun on surface. I have no issue, but I can not fly with this case.

On the flip side, I have two soft sided cases.. They were cheap and easy, but they provide less protection..

Last edited by RWBlue; 01-22-2010 at 13:45..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 17:50   #10
cphilip

Believe it or not, Amazon had a Pelican 1720 with foam for $195 free shipped last night.
Old 01-22-2010, 19:22   #11
furioso2112

I got my Pelican from ****** about 9 mos ago for $150 (1720 with the nice foam). It;s a great case - worth 150...I watched them for a long time and this is the best price I have ever seen. Usually around $200.

There is a thread on AR15.com with some really nice pics of people who did their own custom cutouts - the most effective tool seems to be a nickel-chromium-wired cutter (which is about $110) - I bought the cutter but have yet to cut my foam. It is realatively a PITA to put more than a gun and a couple mags int oa Pelican without kneeling on it to close it, which might be a PITA in the trunk of your cruiser, so I highly recommend looking into cut-outs prior to buying something like the Pelican. It's a time or $ investment, and usually a combination, but WELL worth - a very nice, professional looking and quality product is the reward. Pelican cases are airline-approved, waterproof, fully rubber-gasket sealed.
Old 01-23-2010, 00:55   #12
Norcal911

Same as above, check that thread at Ar15.com. Read it carefully and google up a few things, you can build that foam cutter for about $20. I built mine with a trip to radio shack and lowes. It didn't work so well that I'm volunteering to cut my friends cases but mine looks professional enough. Nothing like a big ass pelican case all cut out nice with your name stenciled on the side, I'm just missing the "glow" that came out of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction for the complete effect-Norcal911
Norcal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:32   #13
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

I have one of those "tactical" cases with the mag pouches on the outside. The pouches had holes in them after just a few weeks hauling. I'll never buy another soft case for AR. Those cases are not durable enough for the sharp edges associated with this rifle.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:08   #14
Onmilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
I have one of those "tactical" cases with the mag pouches on the outside. The pouches had holes in them after just a few weeks hauling. I'll never buy another soft case for AR. Those cases are not durable enough for the sharp edges associated with this rifle.
You are not using a high quality case.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2..._M4_RIFLE_CASE
These cases have exceeded all my expectations and as an added bonus, the pouches are removeable/replaceable and just as durable as any decent vest mounted soft pouch. Top of the line good stuff!
Onmilo is offline   Reply With Quote