SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2010, 18:12   #1
chineseboxer

Cheek Weld

Hi,

I am a new owner of a Model 2 Stag. I have a few hundred rounds through it and finding I am very inconsitent in my POI. My best group at 50 yards is about 1.5" other than that I have been throwing them about 3". I know the rifle can do it because I handed it to a guy at the range and he threw 4 rounds into the size of a quarter. I find myself trying to find that perfect cheek weld but I know I am not consistent in my form. Can you give me some suggestions on how to be more consistent? Do most shooter really put their nose to the charging handle?? BTW shooting Rem UMC 55gr. Thank You
chineseboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 18:22   #2
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/23-10/ch3.htm

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 18:24   #3
chineseboxer

Thanks dude.....printing it out right now.
chineseboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 20:51   #4
Norcal911

I didn't read the link so maybe its already been said, but nose to charging handle or a stock with a better cheek weld like an ACS or SOPMOD will probably make it better-Norcal911
Norcal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:31   #5
jobob

A good cheek weld helps speed and consistency when shooting from various positions. If you are shooting groups off a bench I don't know if cheek weld alone could be causing your group size. What kind of sights are you using? If it's the iron sights, make sure you are focusing your eye on the front sight, not the target.

I don't know what kind of shooting experience you have, but many shooting problems can be traced to poor trigger control. Make sure the force on the trigger is straight to the rear and that the force in increased gradually until you get a surprise break. You should not anticipate the exact instant that the gun fires, or try to make it fire at the exact instant you want. Instead, the BANG should be a semi-surprise.

Practice trigger control by dry firing with an unloaded gun! I say that from experience!

BTW, some shoot with nose to charge handle, some don't. It isn't necessary for good shooting.
"If one Glock is good, several are better."

Last edited by jobob; 01-22-2010 at 02:33.. Reason: To add the BTW.
jobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:09   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Been shooting "nose to handle" for ab out 25 years.
Ensures you get nearly the same cheek weld,....every time!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:16   #7
Norcal911

I agree with jobob that nose to charging handle (NTCH) isn't a requirement, but it sounds like the OP may be new to the AR so it would be worth experimenting with, at least to remove that variable and start focusing on trigger/breath control, sight picture etc. I was trained NTCH but I don't shoot that way anymore. I don't think its the be-all, end-all for mounting the rifle but when my drill sergeant's were yelling at me a long time ago, that's what we did and it worked out to 300 meters. I've found with some of the newer stocks (I'm partial to the SOPMOD, ACS is similar at half the cost) my cheek weld is consistent and I don't shoot at those ranges anymore. Most everything I do, at least professionally is less than 100 yards, usually less than 50. I do shoot recreationally beyond 100 and all of the fundementals are important for good groups-Norcal911
Norcal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:58   #8
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

There is benchrest shooting, traditional shooting, and tactical shooting (assault). Don't get them confused.

Appleseed teaches traditional shooting. I think everyone should start off learning traditional shooting.

Benchrest shooting is something you need to do to find out how accurate your rifle/load combination is.

Tactical assault rifle shooting is not that accurate. It doesn't have to be. The position is some what like traditional shooting, but different, ready to move.