Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:46   #1
ignantmike

165gr 10mm load?

i figured i'd post here....not sure how much action the 10mm forum get's.....anywho.....i picked up some berry's 165 gr fp from graf's....i'm using pmc and rem brass...wlp..and longshot powder.....i'm looking for a starting point for this round.....i know people say not to push faster than 1200 fps.....which is fine with me.....just looking for a place to start and c.o.l....thank's for any help......
rimfire club member #504
revenge is a dish best served cold
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:26   #2
fredj338

I love LS in my 10mm. I use 9.4gr under a 165gr RGS for 1265fps from my 5" guns. I would drop it to 9.3gr for 165gr Berry's. They'll work fine upto 1250fps+ or so. I run them to 1300fps in my 357sig.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 13:41   #3
jaybirdjtt

Yes, Berry's suggests keeping the copper plated bullets under 1200 fps.
My load data shows 3 loads specifically for the 165 grn bullet:
11.9 grns of Accurate AA-7 shows a MV of 1200 fps but notes this to be a max load. It also shows loads for bullets from 135 to 200 grns using this powder.
I also show Winchester WST, 6.1 grns, 1030 fps and Hodgdon HP-38, 6.5 grns, 1200 fps.
Power Pistol works for 10mm and I show only a MAX load of 10 grns generating 1400+ fps so I would start significantly under that.
Make sure your gun will cycle lighter loads with a stock recoil spring if that's what you're using. I load 3 and test them to see if they cycle prior to loading any quantity.
As always, watch your minimum OAL as this is a very high pressure cartridge and I believe the standard Glock barrel does not fully support the cartridge case.
Lots of guys on this forum apparently use Berry's with good success but keep the velocity down or use data for lead bullets. I just did give them a try and so far, no problems, but I'm well under the 1200 fps threshold.

Last edited by jaybirdjtt; 01-21-2010 at 13:42.. Reason: spelling
jaybirdjtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:22   #4
ignantmike

i loaded some up yesterday and went to the range last night......here's the info......165gr berry's fp .401.....rem nickel brass...WLP....started at 8.5gr of longshot....5 rounds each of 8.5,8.7,8.9,and 9.1grs....standard 1.260 C.O.L.....shot at 7 yard's....all round's cycled with standard glock 20 recoil spring....factory barrel....recoil got "snappier" with higher grains as to be expected....shot to P.O.A.....off hand....had my son shooting with me so, i didn't get to rest it and shoot further to see how accurate it was......all in all i'm happy with this as a plinking round.....i think i'll stick to 8.5gr of longshot......i might even go less powder to see what happen's......maybe go 8.0gr.....the brass looked good to....these were the first round's i made myself.......i had a buddy teach me......the only issue!!!!!......was losing some brass behind a metal wall the range has set-up to protect the block wall.......but, the rangemaster let me go down range when i was done to pick up a few that went that way..........
rimfire club member #504
Old 01-22-2010, 07:36   #5
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

Congrats on shooting your first reloads!
Thats great you had someone to help get you started.
Well it's all down hill from here, your hooked !
Have fun!

Bob
Back Yard Shooting Competition
Bob2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:01   #6
jaybirdjtt

round's i made myself.......i had a buddy teach me......the only issue!!!!!......was losing some brass behind a metal wall the range has set-up to protect the block wall.......but, the rangemaster let me go down range when i was done to pick up a few that went that way..........

I made a brass "picker upper". Stiff, cheap metal rod about 3 ft long. Bent the last 1" @ 90 degrees. Wrapped the handle with duct tape. Salvaged the metal rod from one of those signs that got left at an abandoned jobsite.

Congrats on your first loads.
jaybirdjtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 16:50   #7
ignantmike

thank's for the info.....
rimfire club member #504
Old 01-22-2010, 19:54   #8
fredj338

SOunds like you got it figured out. LS is a bit on the slower side so I would not drop the powder charge too much below 8.5gr, you might start seeing unburnt powder, a good sign your pressure are too low for that charge wt./bullet combo.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 21:06   #9
TonyT

With the plated Berry's/Rainier bullets I tend to use velocities below 800 fps with either WST or American Select powders. For full power loads I prefer jacketed bullets and WSF powder.
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote