SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2010, 21:21   #1
patman
Large member

CZ Varmint Vs. Savage MK11

I'm looking at buying a bull barreled .22 rifle and I think I have it narrowed down to these two.What is a better rifle?As far as workmanship,quality,accuracy,etc.I handled a Savage earlier tonight and it seemed kind of "chinsy".Compared to the Remington 513T I owned for a short time any way.Recommendations?

One step from lashing out at you!
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 21:48   #2
Clem Eastwood

i just got a savage fvt as an iron sight rifle. ive got a cz 452 varmint that ive had for a few years. my buddy also has a varmint and my wife has a cz american. the cz's are very nice little rifles, and very consistent in terms of accuracy once you find a load the individual rifle likes. the savage feels like most of the rimfires on the market. not cheap, just not solid like the CZs. my CZ is a consistent sub MOA shooter at 100y with good loads.

the savage was a christmas present so i havent even had to the chance to test loads with it yet, and since its a peep sight rifle its kind of hard to compare accuracy to our scoped CZs. i will say this, quite a few guys on rimfirecentral have savages that shoot really well. in terms of accuracy i think youd have to put an individual savage up against an individual CZ. i think accuracy is a draw. the 452s trigger is harder to lighten compared to the savage, so if thats important to you look at the savage.

Where men are men, women are men, and teenagers and children are FBI agents.
Clem Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 21:57   #3
patman
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Eastwood View Post
i just got a savage fvt as an iron sight rifle. ive got a cz 452 varmint that ive had for a few years. my buddy also has a varmint and my wife has a cz american. the cz's are very nice little rifles, and very consistent in terms of accuracy once you find a load the individual rifle likes. the savage feels like most of the rimfires on the market. not cheap, just not solid like the CZs. my CZ is a consistent sub MOA shooter at 100y with good loads.

the savage was a christmas present so i havent even had to the chance to test loads with it yet, and since its a peep sight rifle its kind of hard to compare accuracy to our scoped CZs. i will say this, quite a few guys on rimfirecentral have savages that shoot really well. in terms of accuracy i think youd have to put an individual savage up against an individual CZ. i think accuracy is a draw. the 452s trigger is harder to lighten compared to the savage, so if thats important to you look at the savage.
I was looking at the FVT but I want to be able to put a scope on it.That was one thing I didn't like about the 513T.There was no way to mount a scope.Not without making my own custom mount.

Old 01-06-2010, 22:08   #4
Clem Eastwood

you could always buy a cz with irons, like the lux or trainer. you could even put a williams peep on the rear of the scope rail. then take it off and mount your scope. i love my CZ. what i like about the savage is the williams peeps sights. as i get more rounds through the rifle ill be better able to give my opinion on how well the rifle does.

i bought it because i figured worst case it wont be as accurate as the CZ, but that wont matter because ill never scope it.

Old 01-06-2010, 22:22   #5
patman
Large member

Quote:
you could always buy a cz with irons, like the lux or trainer. you could even put a williams peep on the rear of the scope rail. then take it off and mount your scope. i love my CZ. what i like about the savage is the williams peeps sights. as i get more rounds through the rifle ill be better able to give my opinion on how well the rifle does.

i bought it because i figured worst case it wont be as accurate as the CZ, but that wont matter because ill never scope it.
If I go with the CZ I'll get the varmint because I want a bull barrel.The savage is cheaper.I was just looking at the Savage SBVT or whatever.The stainless one with the thumb hole stock.It's still cheaper than the CZ,not that cheap is the bottom line.I've been reading many good things about the Savage on some other boards.

Old 01-06-2010, 22:37   #6
Clem Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
If I go with the CZ I'll get the varmint because I want a bull barrel.The savage is cheaper.I was just looking at the Savage SBVT or whatever.The stainless one with the thumb hole stock.It's still cheaper than the CZ,not that cheap is the bottom line.I've been reading many good things about the Savage on some other boards.
the 452 varmints have a bedding block dovetailed into the barrel. your torque on the barrel has to be correct for the rifle to shoot well. the 453 varmints and the new 455s (all of them) are free floated.

if you are worried about the americans thin barrel getting hot or not shooting well, i wouldnt worry about it. my fiance's 16" american doesnt get a whole lot warmer than our varmint contour barrels (its not a real bull barrel anyway, its more like a middleweight barrel for a 10/22), and the thin barrel shoots just as good. all 3 of our CZs shoot MOA at 100y on their worst day.

Last edited by Clem Eastwood; 01-06-2010 at 22:40..
Old 01-07-2010, 22:28   #7
patman
Large member

Quote:
the 452 varmints have a bedding block dovetailed into the barrel. your torque on the barrel has to be correct for the rifle to shoot well. the 453 varmints and the new 455s (all of them) are free floated.

if you are worried about the americans thin barrel getting hot or not shooting well, i wouldnt worry about it. my fiance's 16" american doesnt get a whole lot warmer than our varmint contour barrels (its not a real bull barrel anyway, its more like a middleweight barrel for a 10/22), and the thin barrel shoots just as good. all 3 of our CZs shoot MOA at 100y on their worst day.
I have a torque wrench and I know how to use it.I might go for the 453 though.I had seen them on Gunbroker.I might just do the Savage too though.I was thinking about doing a 10FCP later so the .22 would give me a gauge as to what that might be like.

Old 01-07-2010, 23:28   #8
Clem Eastwood

Quote:
I have a torque wrench and I know how to use it.I might go for the 453 though.I had seen them on Gunbroker.I might just do the Savage too though.I was thinking about doing a 10FCP later so the .22 would give me a gauge as to what that might be like.
a lot of the 452 varmints like anywhere between 18-22 inch lbs. i torque mine by feel. too tight and mine starts getting less accurate like it does if i dont torque it enough.

Old 01-09-2010, 00:21   #9
patman
Large member

Can you free float the barrel on a MK11 FV?With a Boyds stock maybe?

Old 01-09-2010, 17:52   #10
patman
Large member

I bought one of these.Now I have to steal the scope off another rifle or save up some dough for a new one.I am planning on upgrading the one on my AR so maybe I'll steal that one for now.

Last edited by patman; 01-20-2010 at 18:36..
Old 01-11-2010, 22:53   #11
patman
Large member

Anybody with a Savage have a suggestion on ammo?I have to go pick some up to test out my purchase.I won't have it until late this week or early next week though.I gotta find some scope rings too.

Old 01-11-2010, 23:18   #12
Clem Eastwood

Quote:
Anybody with a Savage have a suggestion on ammo?I have to go pick some up to test out my purchase.I won't have it until late this week or early next week though.I gotta find some scope rings too.
mine likes wolf match target.

Old 01-20-2010, 18:36   #13
patman
Large member

I picked my BV up today.It looks really nice.The scope set up I was going to use won't work so I'll have to go get some scope rings.I can't wait to get some rounds down range.

Last edited by patman; 01-20-2010 at 21:25..
Old 01-20-2010, 21:26   #14
patman
Large member

That's better.

Last edited by patman; 02-04-2010 at 16:59..
Old 01-22-2010, 22:28   #15
patman
Large member

I took this rifle out to the range yesterday and I must say that with the Remington sub-sonic ammo I bought it is very accurate and very fun to shoot.Plus the bolt action it slowed my rate of fire down so that it wasn't time to go shortly after getting there.I fired a little over 200 rounds.I'm going to go get some of the Wolf match ammo one day soon and try some of that.I am happy with my purchase.I'm going to free float the barrel as well.That might help get groups a little tighter.