SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2010, 13:59   #1
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Has anyone tried the S&W Lowers?

I picked this up yesterday on a impulse buy before researching it. Has anyone tried one? Now I have to find a decently priced (read cheap) upper for it.

Black Rifle Forum
ghostman1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 16:25   #2
Range Rat

Nuthin wrong with an impulse buy when you buy quality. That's a nice set up.
Range Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 18:05   #3
HogGlocker
Owner Since 88'

Of course its GTG.........there are not but a handful of makers who supply the entire industry.......Continental Machine & Tool -CMT [the parent of Stag], LMT, Cardinal Forge...few Big names make in house their own stuff...

I believe in the beginning S&W used CMT lowers, CMT BCG [later swithced to LMT I believe]....a weapon assembled with quality components in a quality manner will function....the differences between brands, though noticeable, are negligible if quality = quality.

So long as tolerances are held to and quality components go into the build it almost does not matter.

Blasphemy to the cool-aid drinkers of the top names who think it must be brand X only but true...

My RRA runs like my Colt which runs like my Smith which runs like my other Smith...which runs like my friends Armalite...hell, I've carried Colt and FN for Uncle Sam..........good weapons, good care, good equipment.

Ya done good.

I have complete S&W rifles, they are excellent weapons.

Last edited by HogGlocker; 01-15-2010 at 18:18..
HogGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 19:50   #4
fastbolt

I was impressed with what I saw of them in an M&P15 armorer class.

I've been through a couple of Colt AR armorer classes (and another non-factory armorer class for the A) but I wanted to go through the S&W class to see what I could see regarding their rifles. I already know a couple of owners who have been very pleased with them, too.

As has been said, they've been buying their uppers and lowers (and other parts & assemblies) from the same big names that make them for other good quality brand rifles. (My notes indicate the upper is a 7075 T6 aluminum forging, BTW.)

We were told they've taken delivery of some new forging equipment which will be used to make their own AR uppers & lowers at some point.

Their barrels are made of 4140 steel by their T/C company (known for making excellent quality, accurate barrels). I don't remember if they actually bought their own MP testing equipment or they're still having the testing done by an outside company.

Despite the common advertising hoopla, this is a relatively small industry and there's a lot of products and services being provided to each other among the big companies. S&W is still making forged billets used in making other 1911's, too.

Overall, I was impressed with the S&W offerings in the AR field.

They'll have a M4 carbine soon (semi/full auto, no plans for burst config).

We were told that demand, especially from foreign countries, has been heavy and consistent for the M&P15. LE interest has been increasing here, as well. A rapidly growing number of satisfied customers.

There's always room for another good build AR rifle/carbine.

As long as it's made of the same good quality parts as other proven names, or properly made & spec'd parts of similar good quality even if made by a new company, a good selection of model configurations and availability are sufficient to meet customer needs (LE/Gov, private and foreign), and increased availability makes for some pricing stability, who cares?

Maybe once I leave CA I'll pick up another good quality AR, this time a M&P15. Then again, maybe not. They can be expensive to feed ... and I've certainly had ample opportunity to do a lot of shooting with a lot of them as a firearms instructor & armorer for some years ... and I already own a good one (Colt). Then again, maybe I'll build another one if I can get a good deal on the components as an armorer.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:27   #5
ghostman1960
Static Nomad

Does anyone know where i can pick up a decent inexpensive upper for it?
ghostman1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00   #6
madecov
book em' Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
Does anyone know where i can pick up a decent inexpensive upper for it?

DS Arms had M4 configured uppers without Bolt Carrier and charging handle for Under $300.00

Add a complete bolt and charging handle and you were right around $400.00

$20.00 transfers in the Houston area.
[
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 20:50   #7
spyder1969
NRA/FOP Member

I have the M&P 15 5.45x39. I love it. I am glad I bought it.

In God we trust, everyone else we check.
spyder1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:19   #8
Aquanewt

Ever since the company was purchased by some satan worshipers (S&W) their stuff is evil. send it to me for destruction. Actually they came to my department to demo some and sold a few to the instructor at the range at a good price. They were and are very happy with them.