Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2010, 00:16   #1
Baldbomber

Switching powders

I was curious on your guys thoughts on this?? I'm currently using Winchester 231 for my 45 acp loads. Was thinking about trying out some AA #5.. Does anyone use this powder for their 45 acp loads, if so does it perform as well as the 231?? Thanks in advance for any input

P.S. It's easier for me to get AA #5 then 231
Baldbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:16   #2
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldbomber View Post
I was curious on your guys thoughts on this?? I'm currently using Winchester 231 for my 45 acp loads. Was thinking about trying out some AA #5.. Does anyone use this powder for their 45 acp loads, if so does it perform as well as the 231?? Thanks in advance for any input

P.S. It's easier for me to get AA #5 then 231
Everyone I know, who's serious about the .45 acp, says that 231 is THE powder for medium intensity loads in the gun.

I use clays for the same reason you want to use AA#5 -- I have a bunch of it and want to use it up.

Hodgdon's will get their act together some day !!!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21   #3
TACC GLOCK
SEMPER FIDELIS

I continue to use HS-6 without a problem, I did use Universal for a while but the HS-6 burns faster and cleaner.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:40   #4
dudel

Did lots of loads with 231, and it works well. Got some AA for 9mm, and liked it. Tried it for 45ACp based on a Propellant Profiles story in Handloader. Like it a lot.

AA#5 is a great powder for medium to heavy 45ACP rounds. Meters well.

AA#2 might be a bit more economical in that it takes less grains per round in 45ACP; but I found AA#2 worked better for me with the lighter projectiles (180-200 gr). AA#5 for the heavier 200-230gr projectiles.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28   #5
DoctaGlockta

I have only been loading for 5 months and was told to get Unique to start. Not the sexiest of powders and pretty old school I guess. Still using it and no real reason to switch at this point.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:47   #6
Murphy's Law

Powder

Try Titegroup or Unique both work extremely well for the 40 & 45.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:56   #7
ChaneyD

5gr. W231 or Bullseye. Love that powder.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:46   #8
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
I have only been loading for 5 months and was told to get Unique to start. Not the sexiest of powders and pretty old school I guess. Still using it and no real reason to switch at this point.

Nothing wrong with Unique. It's the powder I put up for the next shortage. Works well for any of the pistol calibers I load for. Not always the best powder (although sometimes it is); but never the worst. Works well with jacketed, plated or lead. It's an all around performer.

Plus, the new formulation is much cleaner burning than the older stuff (again, not that the old stuff, if you could still find it, was the dirtiest powder around). I still have a few pounds of the old stuff. The new stuff has "Cleaner" on the canister.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:12   #9
CaptToyota

A bottle of #5 wont last very long with 45acp due to the higher charge weights needed.. WST would be a better choice than 231, and Accurate #2 as a 2nd choice.
CaptToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33   #10
LoadedTech

I started with 231 and loved it. Was given some bullseye and know why it was given away. I didnt care for the huge flash, and the higher loads dont feel any different then med loads like 231 does. Thinking of tring TG next.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:36   #11
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptToyota View Post
A bottle of #5 wont last very long with 45acp due to the higher charge weights needed.. WST would be a better choice than 231, and Accurate #2 as a 2nd choice.
True that AA#5 will use more grains than AA#2; but AA#7 uses even more. If I was using projectiles under 201gr, I'd use AA#2 as well. For me, AA#5 did better with projectiles heaver than 200gr.

Still even throwing 7-8gr of AA#5 per round, you'll still get a lot of rounds per canister. Not like throwing powder for rifle rounds.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02   #12
BuffaloBo

I dabbled with AA#5 long ago. Sure it meters exceptionally, but you will most likely see an increased powder charge (more expensive and fewer rounds per lb), and alot of unburned flakes in and around the barrel.

I've used 231 for many years now and find it to be overall a very good choice for most pistol apps - especially for lead pistol.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39   #13
fredj338

I have also tried it, still have a 1/2#, but the only thing it offers over Unqiue is easier metering. It also runs bets near the top end, like most med. bunrers in the 45acp. W231 is ok, good accuracy but smokey, especially w/ lead bullets. Try WST, very clean burning, no smoke, terrific accuracy & lighter recoil w/ the same vel. levels as W231. I'm a TG hater, so not for me. WST does everything that TG does but w/ more volumn in the case for the same charge wt.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:54   #14
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

If only Unique wasn't so chunky, I'd say it is perfect for most uses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 13:04   #15
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
If only Unique wasn't so chunky, I'd say it is perfect for most uses.
Give WSF a try, it's basically a better metering Unique, a tiny bit slower in most calibers. It will eventually replace Unique for me.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 15:47   #16
BigDog[RE]
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Give WSF a try, it's basically a better metering Unique, a tiny bit slower in most calibers. It will eventually replace Unique for me.
funny you should say that. I switched over the WSF from Unique in 9MM a couple of years ago and I love, however, I haven't found the sweet spot for my 200gr LSWC in 45 ACP yet. I shoot Unique in just about every caliber, I love the stuff.
BigDog[RE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 21:56   #17
argy1182

I use AA#5. Only additional comment I have is that there is more muzzle flash with that powder compared to others I've used.
argy1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:27   #18
HarveyatPC

AA2 is not a cold weather powder. I like AA5 and get the best accuracy at low charge weights. Now I use TideGroup. Its cheaper and easy to find in panhandle FL.
Steel Challenge Life Member
HarveyatPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 15:30   #19
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well, my good friend, that's exactly what I'm testing with now!

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 22:30   #20
dougader

I went through a pound each of AA2 and AA5. I liked 231 better for light to medium target loads and plan on trying WST and WSF when this last 8# keg of 231 is used up.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote