SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:40   #1
oISHUTupNrocKIo
Glock Lover

CCW Ammo

What do you guys carry in your CCW? What do you guys suggest for when I begin to carry? (I will be getting the Glock 26).
Old 01-23-2010, 05:04   #2
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

What I carry in my two G19s and my G26 is the Federal 115JHP+P+ load (product# 9BPLE). Why you may ask? First, it functions flawlessly in my pistols, second it's accurate, third it has a proven street record (Illinois State Police & Border Patrol to name a few who has used it successfully), and lastly I feel that this load has the least possibility of exiting an attacker & to go on to become a down range hazard.

It's quite hard to suggest a defensive load to you without knowing your surroundings and under what circumstances you may have to use your firearm. But I would hazard to tell you to stick with the middle of the road 124 grain JHP, either standard or +P pressure would be fine. Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Federal HST or Winchester Bonded PDX1 should be fine as long as they function 100% in your G26.

That's just my $0.02 worth of opinion.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:06   #3
beforeobamabans
FYPM

After spending considerable time investigating the whole "best ammo" issue, I came to the conclusion that I would stockpile Ranger and HST. I'm somewhat partial to 'heavy for caliber' so I like these loads in 147 or at least 124-127. I'm currently carrying 127+p+ in my G26 (hot round to compensate for short barrel) and HST 147 in my G17.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:25   #4
fredj338

I like the 124gr+P varieties in the G26. Right now, it's loaded w/ BH 124grXTP. They make 1220fps from the short tube, affordable, accurate, expands well & penetrates deep. There may be "better", but you'll have to measure it w/ calipers.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:19   #5
Bruce M

Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ A) its issued B) is said to loose little velocity from short barrels C) is said to be resonably good D) its issued
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:45   #6
mteagle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I like the 124gr+P varieties in the G26. Right now, it's loaded w/ BH 124grXTP. They make 1220fps from the short tube, affordable, accurate, expands well & penetrates deep. There may be "better", but you'll have to measure it w/ calipers.
Is this a verified velocity or are you using factory listings? And does BH mean Black Hills?
101st Airborne 1957-60
USAF 1961-80 Retired
mteagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:46   #7
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ A) its issued B) is said to loose little velocity from short barrels C) is said to be resonably good D) its issued
THis doesn't have the Win 127gr+P+, but gives you an idea what kind of vel loss to expect when going to the sorter bbls.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 01-23-2010, 14:40   #8
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
THis doesn't have the Win 127gr+P+, but gives you an idea what kind of vel loss to expect when going to the sorter bbls.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9mmluger.html

Thanks Very interesting reading. I remain intrigued that sometimes a longer barrel can slow down some handgun rounds and mostly they keep getting faster the more barrel there is.

This is what I have read about the Ranger http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/H...Winchester.htm

I can't spell chronograph let alone use one, so anything I know about formal ballistics comes second hand at best.

I will readily admit though the posts from this thread http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1165386
seem to suggest that the specific round may not be nearly as important as we sometimes think. Some of my limited street experience echoes this.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 01-23-2010, 14:41   #9
Bruce M

BTW Thats a pretty ugly looking deer that appears to be taking a nap next to you
Old 01-23-2010, 14:45   #10
jlavallee

A couple of years ago I stockpiled some Federal HST in 147 grain after running some personal tests it seemed to work in all my guns, have good expansion, penetration and recoil. I used to run it in my G26 without any issues but these days my primary carry guns are Walther P99's or P99C which is similar to a G26. In every 9mm gun I tried, this loading worked well and zero reliability issues.

I suspect the ranger or Gold Dot would meet your needs too. Like I said, I tried a few different weights and types and the HST 147 seemed the best for me so when I got a somewhat decent price on some I snatched a bunch. I suspect this will be my carry load for quite a few years.

Track bills in Congress and tell politicians your opinion.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 14:51   #11
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Federal 9BPLE
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 16:07   #12

What do you guys carry in your CCW?

In my Glock 17 (and 19): the 9mm Hornady 147 gr. TAP "CQ" XTP JHP (#90285)

In my HK USP45: the .45ACP Hornady 230 gr. XTP JHP (+P) (#9096)

As for what you should carry; you'll need to make that determination for yourself after researching the choice.

Lotsa contention as to what constitutes "best" and most of that lies upon environmental conditions and personal perception (aka: "confidence").

Good luck.
481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 16:10   #13
oISHUTupNrocKIo
Glock Lover

Isn't +P+ bad for your Glock barrel? Too much pressure?
Old 01-23-2010, 16:43   #14
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by oISHUTupNrocKIo View Post
Isn't +P+ bad for your Glock barrel? Too much pressure?

I have no doubt that using +p+ ammo exclusively would wear out my Glock faster, including the barrel. That having been said lets say I could expect a life of 50000 rounds of regular ammo(probably conservative) and +p+ ammo reduced its life in half, 25000 rounds. If I scammed half of that from ammo work (incredibly optimistic) so I only had to buy say 12500 rounds of Ranger at lets say fifteen dollars ($15) a box of 50 (maybe slightly optimistic), if my arithmetic is correct, I would have sunk $3750 into ammo to shoot out a gun I have a touch less than 400 into.
Old 02-02-2010, 21:32   #15
cowboy1964

I'd be AMAZED if any pistol, even Glocks, would survive 25,000 rounds of +P+.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:27   #16
conpro

Speer gold dot 124 +p
conpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59   #17
Eagle22

Federal P40HST1 180gr

NC Glockers #139
Eagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 13:11   #18
clfarr72

Corbon

Corbon DPX

Glock 19 rtf
Glock 26
clfarr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 14:02   #19
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteagle1 View Post
Is this a verified velocity or are you using factory listings? And does BH mean Black Hills?
Shot over my Oehler chronograph. Yeah, it's hot!
Old 02-04-2010, 16:04   #20
oISHUTupNrocKIo
Glock Lover

Thanks guys, I've been doing my homework, and shot some of the following ammo out of my buddies G17c:

Federal Hydrashock 124 Gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr +P
Horandy 124 and 147 Gr JHP