Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:09   #1
PPP

Send a message via AIM to PPP
Discovered new grips!

http://www.docgrips.com

Hey all!

A few months ago I was shooting with a buddy at our local gun club and he had some new grips on his comp 1911. I asked him about them and gave them a whirl myself. He said that he had purchased them from a mutual acquaintance who is a firearms instructor.

This gentleman had made them for his own competition guns and a few folks noticed them, liked them, and asked to buy a set, so he made them some.

Though I most often shoot a Glock 34 at the local IDPA matches I noticed quite a few guys sporting this gentleman's new grips on comp day.

I told my wife that "hint-hint" I had tried some new grips that I would love to find under the tree at Christmas.

Sure enough she had a set for me over the Holidays.

I have used the grips quite a bit over the last month and really like them.
I liked them enough that I thought others would like them too. There might be a small opportunity in this. So I went by the fella's shop today asked him how he would feel about me purchasing his grips and selling them online and we were able to work out a deal. I purchased 10 sets to test the waters.

The guy who makes them is a Dr. as well as a shooter- everybody calls him Doc.

They are quality Micarta grips that he does a treatment to that makes them very aggressive. Each individual can sand them down to their desired level.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2121wt_923
Attached Thumbnails
1911 Forums - Click for larger version   1911 Forums - Click for larger version   1911 Forums - Click for larger version   1911 Forums - Click for larger version  
PPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:12   #2
PPP

More pics
Old 01-22-2010, 03:27   #3
Cobra64
Deals in Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPP View Post
http://www.docgrips.com

Hey all!

A few months ago I was shooting with a buddy at our local gun club and he had some new grips on his comp 1911. I asked him about them and gave them a whirl myself. He said that he had purchased them from a mutual acquaintance who is a firearms instructor.

This gentleman had made them for his own competition guns and a few folks noticed them, liked them, and asked to buy a set, so he made them some.

Though I most often shoot a Glock 34 at the local IDPA matches I noticed quite a few guys sporting this gentleman's new grips on comp day.

I told my wife that "hint-hint" I had tried some new grips that I would love to find under the tree at Christmas.

Sure enough she had a set for me over the Holidays.

I have used the grips quite a bit over the last month and really like them.
I liked them enough that I thought others would like them too. There might be a small opportunity in this. So I went by the fella's shop today asked him how he would feel about me purchasing his grips and selling them online and we were able to work out a deal. I purchased 10 sets to test the waters.

The guy who makes them is a Dr. as well as a shooter- everybody calls him Doc.

They are quality Micarta grips that he does a treatment to that makes them very aggressive. Each individual can sand them down to their desired level.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2121wt_923
This?

1911 Forums
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:04   #4
PPP

Thank you sir!

Last edited by PPP; 01-22-2010 at 04:07..
Old 01-23-2010, 22:12   #5
JustShoot-IT
GrudgingGlocker

They look great. I'm close to getting a set but a few questions. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Could Doc reverse the pattern, for us lefties? <o:p></o:p>
Approximately how thick are they? (I have XL hands and wouldn't mind if these grips added a bit to my 1911.) <o:p></o:p>
What kind of sandpaper/emery cloth would it take to make the grips a "little bit" less aggressive, more concealable-friendly?<o:p></o:p>
Are they black or more gray in color? <o:p></o:p>
Would any fixes need to be made to the finish after sanding? (Obviously I'm not familiar with micarta.)<o:p></o:p>
JustShoot-IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 19:34   #6
PPP

I believe he can reverse the pattern though I didn't order any that way for my first lot.
I can order them if you like.
A simple 60 grit sandpaper does the trick nicely.
Afterward wipe down with a rem-oil type product to get rid of sanded fibers and restore to a true black appearance.
This pic should give you a good idea though the flash makes them look shiny and they are more of a matt finish:
1911 Forums
The process took me less than 10 minutes. I think the advantage is the truly custom level texture but if you would like I'm glad to sand them to my preferences pre-shipping.
I send sanding instructions in the package.
They are "standard" rather than "slim-line" grips; we are currently testing a thin/"slim-line" grip for those interested.

(I will measure them next time I get to the shop.)
They are slightly thicker than the grips that come on most 1911s quite a bit thicker than the grips that come on the PT1911.

I have only posted them on ebay. Anyone who would like to circumvent the ebay process can email me at brian@docgrips.com

Last edited by PPP; 01-24-2010 at 19:56..