Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2010, 19:05   #1
jlmomaha

Load help with the 135gr and 200gr

I have always used bluedot powder, but never really liked it that much but lived with it, well I am about out and want to get a couple load/powder ideas I have heard good things about 800X and some others, but would like first hand advice..
Thank you for your help and time
jlmomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25   #2
MSgt Dotson

If looking to emulate Doubletap ballistics, Longshot and 800x seems to reign supreme currently...; PowerPistol and AA7 are also popular for 'less maximum' loads.
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 23:40   #3
Taterhead
Counting Beans

IMR used to publish data for the Nosler 135 gr JHP. The load data is as follows:

14.5 gr 800X
Standard LP primer
velocity 1670 fps

I have loaded this round successfully. It is a fun boomer. 14.2 gr chronies an average of 1690 fps through my G20. Since Hodgdon acquired IMR, they are not publishing that load any longer (I found it in Loadbooks). I spoke to a Hodgdon tech about that and he said that they had been re-testing several of the IMR loads; and publishing only those that had been re-tested. He seemed to think that 14.5 gr as a max load sounded high. So caution is in order! Start way lower and work up slowly.

For heavy loads, I get better results from Blue Dot than 800X. I tend to get early pressure signs from 800X and 180 gr+ projectiles. I like Blue Dot. It is versatile. A9 works the best for me and is my favorite powder for heavy projectiles. If you get a "Loadbooks" manual, you'll find lots of good load data for A9 (and others). Some of it is older data, but well worth $6. You can compare it to currently published data and have lots of data points for experimentation.

I have no experience with Longshot, but it does show promise. They have load data for a 200gr Hornady on the Hodgdon website.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:01   #4
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
I put in an order for some 135 gr bullets to play with but I'm not quite sure when I'm getting them.

I have Blue Dot and Power Pistol on hand to play with. A poster on ar15armory posted their power pistol load chrono'ed over 1700fps (just over 900ft/lbs!) with 135 gr HP's.

How did Blue Dot do with the 135's? What was your load? I figured that one might be good for a big flash :D
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13   #5
MSgt Dotson

Was there a "don't use 135 gr bullets with Blue Dot" safety advisory released a couple years ago?
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48   #6
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
Was there a "don't use 135 gr bullets with Blue Dot" safety advisory released a couple years ago?
I think that was for .357, I never remember seeing anything like that for 10mm.
Old 01-26-2010, 21:31   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
That was for all .41 mag and 125 gr projectiles for .357 mag.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/html/safetynotice.htm

Safety Notice

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.
During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:
  • Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
  • Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.
We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
Old 01-26-2010, 21:38   #8
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJE View Post
I put in an order for some 135 gr bullets to play with but I'm not quite sure when I'm getting them.

I have Blue Dot and Power Pistol on hand to play with. A poster on ar15armory posted their power pistol load chrono'ed over 1700fps (just over 900ft/lbs!) with 135 gr HP's.

How did Blue Dot do with the 135's? What was your load? I figured that one might be good for a big flash :D
With the IMR load data, I saw a couple of rounds > 1700 fps with a 5 shot ave of 1690.

I have not loaded the 135gr with Blue Dot. I do imagine that it would throw a pretty big fire ball. Everything with BD throws flames. 800X is a flame thrower too in that load - and LOUD! 800X seems tailor-made for the Nosler 135 gr JHP. Hand meter 800X please! FWIW, I don't really think one is gaining much by pushing that bullet to those velocities. It is pretty fraggy. It is a fun load to mess around with though - and an attention getter at an indoor range.