Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2010, 20:51   #1
springer03

BCM upper?

Need advice. I bought a bushmaster (at the height of the frenzy) before I thought to do research unfortunately. After reading all of the information on this site and others I decided to upgrade the rifle, (BCM BCG, Mil-spec receiver extension, H buffer, Taller front site post, DD omega rail, Ergo grip, Toy BUIS and just got my eotech 512).I've been contemplating selling the original BM upper and buying a BCM upper mainly just for the 1/7 twist. It is only used for range and HD no courses or anything. I know with the upgrades I should be GTG reliability wise. Question is would it be worth the hassle trying to sell the BM upper, just to get the 1/7 twist (to be able to shoot 75gr. TAP) or should I just get the 60gr. TAP for Hd and not worry about it?
Old 01-24-2010, 21:02   #2
USMC03

Read my response in this thread in reference to my experiences with Bushmaster:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...1164191&page=3

And here in reference to BCM:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1169373

Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Semper Fi,
Jeff
USMC03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 21:15   #3
springer03

Yes I have read your posts and every other on this site (and others) which is why I upgraded parts to begin with. I just wish I would have read them before buying My BM (would have saved money in the long run) and I thank you for your knowledge and experience. So I'm going to assume you would suggest the switch?
Old 01-24-2010, 21:20   #4
USMC03

springer,

If you read all my posts in the first link posted above, it's easy to see why I recommend Colt, LMT, BCM, etc.

If you decide to sell your Bushmaster upper, I would consider a 16" barrel with a mid-lenght gas system:

Black Rifle Forum
03designgroup | Advantages of Mid-Length Carbines for Law Enforcement Officers Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
03designgroup | Carbine vs. Mid-Length Gas System on a 16" Barrel Black Rifle Forum

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Semper Fi,
Jeff
Old 01-24-2010, 21:45   #5
springer03

Wow your quick! Actually I would defiantly have considered the mid length if I did not already have the DD Omega 7 (not willing to take a hit on that too). Like I said I could kick myself for not researching prior to purchase. On the other hand with how far away I have to drive to go shoot rifles I'm not going to be shooting tons through it so the extra force of the carbine length should not be to much of an issue. I have learned so much from your (and other posts) in the past. I do really appreciate everybody sharing their knowledge and first hand experience. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by springer03; 01-24-2010 at 22:03..
springer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 22:06   #6
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
Read my response in this thread in reference to my experiences with Bushmaster:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...1164191&page=3

And here in reference to BCM:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1169373

Hope this helps
Thanks for you help. You helped me decide I am saving right now for a 1911
but I have had the funds to finish my ar for a little bit what is your opinion of this choice?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...omegax%209.htm

this for sights (Mag pul backup irons)
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/EOTec...tech%20552.htm

mounted on Pre cerebrus capitol management, bushmaster lower with magpul stock, Grip, and stag parts kit...
Old 01-25-2010, 01:40   #7
jobob

For your uses I would stay with what you have. The 1:9 twist is not ideal and I don't know why BM seems to be stuck on it (like on the ACR), but it works fine if you aren't going to shoot any bullets over 70 gr. Some 1:9 rifles even shoot 75s well. I've used my 20" BM to hit the long range plates (500 and 700+ yards) at the MGM Ironman match w/69gr. SMKs the last 3 years.

With the upgrades you've done I don't really think changing uppers will buy you anything. Unless you just want to, and then you certainly need no one's permission to do so.

BTW, I have a BCM upper and it's a great rifle. I also have a few BMs that all work fine and don't feel the need to exchange any of them for something better. But with BM's recent price increases and what they've done to the ACR I don't believe that I'll be buying any more of their products in the future.
"If one Glock is good, several are better."
jobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14   #8
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Can't go wrong with BCM. I love their stuff.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

BCM is good stuff,...I just wish they would do away with the white logo.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00   #10
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Do you know if the logo appears on their F/A carrier, or is that a watermark on the photos???

I was going to order one soon, but I can't do logos.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:41   #11
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

I do not own any BCM major componets.
From what I understand that is a laser etched marking.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:25   #12
USMC03

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer03 View Post
Wow your quick! Actually I would defiantly have considered the mid length if I did not already have the DD Omega 7 (not willing to take a hit on that too). Like I said I could kick myself for not researching prior to purchase. On the other hand with how far away I have to drive to go shoot rifles I'm not going to be shooting tons through it so the extra force of the carbine length should not be to much of an issue. I have learned so much from your (and other posts) in the past. I do really appreciate everybody sharing their knowledge and first hand experience. Thanks for your replies.

I am constantly selling, trading, and using those funds to upgrade to items that I want.

If you decide to keep the Bushmaster I would recommend the following upgrades to help the carbine perform better.

All 1/9" twist barrels shoot up to 69 grain bullets well. Some 1/9" twist barrels will shoot 75 grain bullets well while other 1/9" twist barrels will not shoot 75 grain bullets well at all.

If you plan on shooting 75 grain bullets through your Bushmaster you may want to take the ammo you plan on using out to the range and see if your gun will shoot well with 75's or not.

1) If the carbine has a collapsable stock and a carbine length gas system purchase a "H2" carbine buffer. The Bushmaster comes stock with a lightweight standard carbine buffer. The H2 (Heavy 2) carbine buffer is the correct buffer for the carbine gas system w/ collapsable stock.

2) Remove the bolt carrier group from the gun and inspect the staking on the carrier key. The metal from the carrier key should be mashed into the 2 screws that hold it onto the bolt. If the carrier key is no properly staked, send it back to Bushmaster and tell them to re-stake it.

3) Get an extractor upgrade kit. Bushmaster ships all of it's guns with a 4 coil extractor spring and blue insert. Carbine gas systems are suppose to use a 5 coil extractor spring, the stiffer BLACK insert, and a black rubber "o" ring to aid in extracton. Change this out about every 5,000 rounds. The only company that I know of that sells the is Bravo Company USA. There may be others, but that is the only company I'm aware of.

4) If using iron sights and a flat top, get a tall front sight post from Bushmaster, PK Firearms, or several other vendors. Bushmaster doesn't use the proper "F" marked front sight base, and you'll end up having excessive elevation. The tall front sight post is a fix for this problem.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
Thanks for you help. You helped me decide I am saving right now for a 1911
but I have had the funds to finish my ar for a little bit what is your opinion of this choice?
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...omegax%209.htm

this for sights (Mag pul backup irons)
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/EOTec...tech%20552.htm

mounted on Pre cerebrus capitol management, bushmaster lower with magpul stock, Grip, and stag parts kit...

Sounds good on the upper. I have the same upper (with a LaRue 9.0) that went through Pat Rogers' and a LMS Defense carbine course (and other training and matches) this year.

I would not recommend the EO Tech. I have seen far too many problems both at work and in training classes with them over the years. Battery connections are one of the many problems. As the gun recoils the batterys move back and forth like a piston. There are several reported problems with EO Tech. As I recall the EO Tech 553 was approved by US SOCOM and they later sent them all back.

My recommendation would be Aimpoint. I've been running Aimpoints since the late 90's and in all those years I only had one issue (the screw piece that held the lense in place on a ML2 came loose, sight was still functional but I had to send it back to the factory so it could be tightened and have adheisive applied .... but that optic had see several thousand rounds.

I currently have (13) Aimpoint Micro T1's, (1) Aimpiont Comp M4, and (1) Aimpoint Comp M4S. The Micro T1 is less than half the weight of the Comp M4 / M4S with the mount.

Weight including LaRue tall mounts:

Micro T1 is 6.4oz
Comp M4 is 12.8oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
Do you know if the logo appears on their F/A carrier, or is that a watermark on the photos???

I was going to order one soon, but I can't do logos.
BCM uppers and bolt carrier groups are both laser etched.

Years ago I ordered a LMT bolt carrier and got a Stag Arms bolt carrier from a dealer.

Semper Fi,
Jeff
Old 01-25-2010, 11:16   #13
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC03
BCM uppers and bolt carrier groups are both laser etched.

Damn!

Oh well... I've got an old Colt SP1 BCG now, was thinking of upgrading to a heavier F/A carrier. I guess I'll just stick.

Or the Denny's Supercarrier or whatever has a good rep.

I'll have to think about it.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 13:21   #14
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Why?

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 15:13   #15
bug

Sounds good on the upper. I have the same upper (with a LaRue 9.0) that went through Pat Rogers' and a LMS Defense carbine course (and other training and matches) this year.

I would not recommend the EO Tech. I have seen far too many problems both at work and in training classes with them over the years. Battery connections are one of the many problems. As the gun recoils the batterys move back and forth like a piston. There are several reported problems with EO Tech. As I recall the EO Tech 553 was approved by US SOCOM and they later sent them all back.

My recommendation would be Aimpoint. I've been running Aimpoints since the late 90's and in all those years I only had one issue (the screw piece that held the lense in place on a ML2 came loose, sight was still functional but I had to send it back to the factory so it could be tightened and have adheisive applied .... but that optic had see several thousand rounds.

I currently have (13) Aimpoint Micro T1's, (1) Aimpiont Comp M4, and (1) Aimpoint Comp M4S. The Micro T1 is less than half the weight of the Comp M4 / M4S with the mount.

Weight including LaRue tall mounts:

Micro T1 is 6.4oz
Comp M4 is 12.8oz

I had looked at the m4s( I like the low bat mount) because I liked the available 3X magnifier But I thought only LEO and military could get the m4?
and will it work with the magpul irons i already have??
Either way thanks for your help
If they are available to civys I would definitely get that over Eo tech
Old 01-25-2010, 15:20   #16
USMC03

I don't know if the MBUS will work in conjunction with the 3x magnifier or not.

The M4S and M4 is avalible to civilians. If using a 3x magnifier, I would suggest getting the M4, you can get the 3x magnifier closer to the M4. The closer you can get the 3x magnifier to the Aimpoint the better the sight picture looks.

I know you are leaning toward the M4S, but the T1 is 1/3 of a pound lighter and $150 cheaper. Just as reliable, almost the same features, etc.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...bos%3AAimpoint

Semper Fi,
Jeff
Old 01-25-2010, 16:20   #17
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC03 View Post
I don't know if the MBUS will work in conjunction with the 3x magnifier or not.

The M4S and M4 is avalible to civilians. If using a 3x magnifier, I would suggest getting the M4, you can get the 3x magnifier closer to the M4. The closer you can get the 3x magnifier to the Aimpoint the better the sight picture looks.

I know you are leaning toward the M4S, but the T1 is 1/3 of a pound lighter and $150 cheaper. Just as reliable, almost the same features, etc.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...bos%3AAimpoint
I have considered it but I am not sure I could get it high enough off the rifle to get clear view ( I am 6ft 8in) and i have actually looked through A M4 on a rifle very similar to what my set up will be and it was perfect.

Also it did not look like they would work with 3X mag but that will not be on all the time and it will be bought at a later date the M4 will put me in the poor house for a while

Last edited by bug; 01-25-2010 at 16:28..
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 18:24   #18
snoczp

USMC03,
I LOVE reading your stuff (here and other sites). Thanks for taking the time.

(You're costing me more money though.)

BCM is top notch stuff. Jeff just makes me want a mid-length BCM upper to go along with my carbine length upper.
snoczp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 18:40   #19
USMC03

bug,

Just FYI, the Micro T1 and M4 / M4S are the same height (ie. both optics mounted in a LaRue tall mount). If you can't see through the T1, you won't be able to see through the Comp M4 / M4S.

snoczp,

Thanks!

Semper Fi,
Jeff
Old 01-25-2010, 19:32   #20
furioso2112

The main things that keep me away from Aimpoint is the heighth, bigger dot (than EoTech), and the tube compared to EoTech's hooded glass. I prefer the EoTech design on all these factors. I wonder if the XPS, with its sideways smaller battery, will solve the battery disconnect issue. For the record, I have used the 2xAA EoTech on a carbine with a standard buffer, and on a Sig556 and never had a problem with either, shooting all good-quality full power ammo - 1,000s of rounds of Prvi 62 and 75 (77?), Federal XM193, and I forget what else, but no Wolf or PMC or anything.