SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2010, 00:24   #1
youngbuck
He's Tyrone!

HD Ammo

Not sure if I was supposed to post this in the caliber corner or not but...

I just bought my first shotgun and will use it for HD only. A mossy 500, my question is in pistols its a pain in the butt trying to research, sort through everyones opinions, find acurate results when purchasing ammo. Is it the same for a shotgun or not as complicated? Also what are some good rounds to buy? I purchased 20rds of Winchester's Ranger series 00buck and 50rds of the AA Xtra-Lite Target Load for practicing with.
youngbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 00:44   #2
mitchshrader
Deceased

If you use a gun that you're unwilling to train with extensively, you're not acting with proper foresight. If you ARE willing to train, you'll figure out what ammo works before you're half done. I recommend something cheap enough you can continue to afford it.

I use Remington value pack 00 buck from walmart, about 65c a round, as the main HD load.. but the GUN is far from the first choice. I shoot a handgun most, so I use a handgun as my primary SD weapon.

The shotgun may be (is) a better weapon, but that doesn't make you (or me) better WITH the weapon, half awake in some drafty BVDs. I want all the muscle memory and trained in reflexes i've GOT on my side defending the homestead at oh dark thirty.. and not somebodys mall ninja fantasy.

I'm one heck of a lot more positive i'll put any round I fire into the chosen target with my favorite handgun than I am a shotgun. If you aren't, shoot the handgun more.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36   #3
mixflip

There is some good logic there ^.

It is very true you need to train, no matter what you decide. Having a piano in your house doesnt mean you can play it. Same thing with a shotgun or handgun. You really need to train!!! i.e through any and all malfunctions, verbalizing, proper cover, reloads ect ect..

Every gun has its strength and weakness...even pump shotguns can be short shucked or safety accidentally left on when you are groggy and or under stress.

Personally I love my shotgun. I am comfortable with it and I enjoy training with it. Many people bring their shotgun to the range and end up shooting their handgun all day..and neglect the old shotgun. I shoot the snot out of mine and love every minute of it.

Personally, I feel I will have the advantage if I bring my shotgun to a close quarters handgun fight in my house. Will I in reality? Who knows until that day comes?

Spend your money on training/ammo...not Mall Ninja gadgets...and be confident with both weapons, not just one. As for ammo, the debate goes on forever on what you should use. I have mine setup with 3 different types already on the shotgun. 4 00buck and 3 buck & ball in the tube, 4 buck & ball on the side saddle and 5 hollow point slugs on the buttstock. Its one of the perks of a shotgun...versatile ammo selection. The slugs are in case a 300lb gorilla on PCP breaks into my house! lol.

Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by mixflip; 01-26-2010 at 00:40..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06   #4
DrtyHarry

Use #4 if you don't want to worry about shot penetrating walls into other rooms. Or so I've been told.

DH
Old 01-25-2010, 10:22   #5
CBennett

I use anything BB/T or above right now im using 00 buck
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:58   #6
gnepig
Remember

I found this posting of different sized shots in gel pretty informative:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=109958

Any shot from a shotgun can be deadly at close range (within your house), but ultimately it is your choice.

I use a heavy bird shot in hopes to not hit a kid in the other room through the walls/ doors, or the parents in the trailer beside the house or the old people across the street.... I fully expect to have to use multiple rounds to stop a threat. Also the bird shot will spread/pattern larger than buck at a closer range, making it easier to hit something while all sleepy eyed, startled and in the dark.

I do need to get a couple of those side saddles to hold the heavier rounds tho.

Last edited by gnepig; 01-25-2010 at 22:46..
gnepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:25   #7
Thrillhouse700

I just asked this question and these guys are pretty informative.

My buddy that I was talking to the other day has his shotgun loaded like this

bird, bird, #4, #4, 00

So I guess by the time he gets to 00 the BG is either a light pink mist or he is very awake by this time.
Thrillhouse700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 13:03   #8
mixflip

Bird shot at close range is still deadly. I dont use it but there is a youtube video of an interior wall being shot at at least 10 feet and it cuts clean through it. If it were a bad guy he would not be giggling.

Like I said I dont use it, but I would hesitate one bit to use bird shot if I had too. Especially the heavier loads for bigger birds like turkey.
Old 01-25-2010, 16:39   #9
YogiBearFan

Don't assume you have to have 00 buckshot for HD, which is certainly good, but, not absolute.

I would suggest you map out your house and around your home/property to get an idea of the distances that you would engaging. Take the longest distance and use that as a reference.

Head to the range and see how your ammo patterns with a target at that distance.

BB (0.18"), T (0.20"), #4 buckshot (0.24") and larger are all excellent and readily available shot sizes for HD.

Test out different rounds from your HD shotgun to get an idea of what will work best for you.

One size does not fit all.
YogiBearFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 17:15   #10
Ljay
Micky's Packin

Good Advice

Lots of good advice here, The shotgun is a DEADLY weapon,

Some of the vermin I have laid waste over the years has been with #4 or #5 shot.
and the results are devastating, I can imagine what #4 Buck or BB,s would do to a human
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 17:18   #11
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBearFan View Post
Don't assume you have to have 00 buckshot for HD, which is certainly good, but, not absolute.

I would suggest you map out your house and around your home/property to get an idea of the distances that you would engaging. Take the longest distance and use that as a reference.

Head to the range and see how your ammo patterns with a target at that distance.

BB (0.18"), T (0.20"), #4 buckshot (0.24") and larger are all excellent and readily available shot sizes for HD.

Test out different rounds from your HD shotgun to get an idea of what will work best for you.

One size does not fit all.

I LOVE the BB T and I think there may even be a F??? But in those that are just a TAD bit smaller than the #4 buck..make sure you get one that is NOT Steel shot. most of your BB/T's are steel because they are normally used for goose and duck hunting for longer ranges....thus they are steel...but get one of the heavier shot styles instead there are several NON steel varieties of BB and T shot..I love the T shot.

something like this or similar..one of those heavier than lead or as heavy types

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te..._nontox_shells

Last edited by CBennett; 01-25-2010 at 17:22..
Old 01-25-2010, 21:43   #12
mixflip

I thought steel is used because lead contaminates fresh water sources...not so much just to give you better range?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:10   #13
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
I thought steel is used because lead contaminates fresh water sources...not so much just to give you better range?
no thats why its used to give the environment a break..but its not all that good for HD/SD so id go with a lead or heavier non toxic type for HD/SD. Id NOT use steel for HD/SD.
Old 01-26-2010, 14:31   #14
triggerjerk

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Shotshell_Data_Book.pdf
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 14:35   #15
DrtyHarry

^Thanks!

DH
Old 01-26-2010, 17:28   #16
inzone

mix

I prefer to mix it up, If I have been able to get my family togetehr in our safe room and the thugs are trying to come in then I want Centurion Buck and ball and Rio armoured slugs, if it is o dark thirty and family is dispersed in the house then I want to use the oo buck....
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 19:33   #17
ronin.45

The Ranger 00 you have will do the job extremely well. If you are worried about overpenetration you can use #4 Express heavy game loads. They pack one hell of a punch without penetration problems.